Thread: Smoking powder question

Default Smoking powder question

A few month ago, I picked up a S&W 642-2 Airweight, I hardly know it's in my pocket it carries so nice, so therefore I carry it a whole lot more. I've been loading Speer 148 HBWC with 2.8 Gn Bullseye and Gold Dot 125s with 4.5 Gn for indoor range practice. Maybe I never noticed before but those loads sure seem to put out a lot of smoke. I've used Bullseye for many years but mostly in 44 wadcutters and shooting outdoors.
    Does this 2 inch barrel have anything to do with powder smoking or is it just since I've started shooting indoors that I notice it more?
    Am I not getting enough crimp to burn the powder properly?
    Are there cleaner burning powders that work well with the snub?

Default Powder O.K.

Bullseye is the fastest burning powder to use in pistols and at the amounts you use even with that length barrel it is fine. I suspect it is the fact that you shoot at an indoor range which makes the smoke more visible. Tell the rangemaster to crank up the ventilation. 8*)

The lube on the HBWCs can add to the smoke problem. Does it smoke as much using jacketed bullets?

Today I shot 148 gn HBWC with 2.9 Grs Bulleye, 158 gn SW with 3.8 Grs Bulls and then 125 Gr GDHP with 4.6 Grs Bulls. The lead bullets smoked much more than the jacketed, with the 158s smoking more than the 148s.
    Good call .338-06, question answered. Thanks loads, pun intended