Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new chainsaw - what make and model?

Default Need new chainsaw - what make and model?

For years I babied a Husky through thick and thin, literally. She was a good saw, but now I want something new. Need it mainly for cutting firewood and logs for around the place. What do you guys use out there, what are you happy with?

Thanks!

Gord
    "He was a man of no patience, you could see it in him. That was a notch against him. In the wild country, a body needs patience".

Default Husky

I have had Poulan, and a few other cheap brands. The Husky is by far the best I have used. I have a Arbor Pro Slim Cut bar and chain. The narrower chain allows the saw to maintain higher RPM's and cuts faster. Really fast.

Big tank, bar adjusts easily enough and tightens well. Needs a good priming to start but once she kicks in she never falters. Good saw.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Stihl

STIHL

The only way to go!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I have had a small Husky for 2 years, nice saw. I also have a Stihl 031 I bought in 1979 and still runs great. I gone through a couple of bars, muffler and a few other small parts...... For me it's a Stihl hands down.

kingfisherktn

Default Stihl

I'm hearing good things about the new Stihl MS-260, if you wish to go new. I'm looking at getting one next summer.

The feds have placed many new restrictions on 2-stroke emissions, so my old favorites like the 280 and 440 are not available anymore. Since Stihl is a European manufacture, they also have to meet new noise restrictions. Function wise, it adds a bunch more "stuff" on to a otherwise great design. You can probably find a nice used Stihl on craigslist.

Most of the bushlers I worked with back in my logging camp days used Stihl or Husky. Husky was more common.

Do we have any forum members who are bushlers? it would be nice to hear from a professional what the latest saw trends are.

I have a Husky 353. I'm very happy with it. I've had it 4-5 years, cuts a few cords of wood a year. My brother runs Stihl, no problems there either. Grew up using dads XL-12, glad those days are over.

Cant go wrong with any stihl or Husqvarna.

Wink Stihl

I have used wood heat for 30 years.Cut about 10 cords a year more or less, and had a stihl041.Never a problem.I took it in when it started to get tired, and a friend who owns a stihl dealership told me it hit a point where it was just going to cost more than it was worth to try to keep going.I really have gotten my moneys worth, with no problems at all.I went and at his recomendation, bought the MS 361.After using it all last year, it is a wonderful saw.I cut some fir trees that are 20" through.If I can be as lucky with this one as the 041, it will see me to my grave.Who knows, I might need it where I'm going next.GR

Default Stihl vs. Husky

It's kind of like the old Ford vs. Chevy debate!

Honestly, I've used both brands extensively over the years and both are very good. One thing to consider is the proximity of dealer support for which ever brand you buy ie. how easy will it be to get parts and service.

Last time I checked, Stihl was not available through internet sales like Baileys or Madsens, you would need to buy directly from the store. Husky's can still be purchased via internet / mail option.

Default ditto.

Stihl or Husqvarna.

I have a Stihl I bought used from a neighbor and I love it! All around great saw.

If you can find a nice used Jonsered, they are a really fine saw.

I used to have a Stihl 031...fantastic saw. I wore it out after about 20 years.

Now I have a husky...it's a good saw as well. I have had other cheap saws...but they really make you mad when they don't run and you need a saw.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default You guys are the best!

Thanks guys, you rock

Been cruising the timber as always, looking for fire wood and logs for a pole barn, picturing myself with "my new saw", which I don't have yet. Checked Stihl's web site, man they make sweet saws. I like their tool less chain tensioning feature on their smaller saws.

The 260 appears to be a mid sized power house, so does the 361, and before you know it, I am looking at their 441. I guess a guy could also say "use enough chainsaw", as opposed to "...gun".

Decisiones, decisiones...

Coaldust, what is a "bushler"?

Gord
    "He was a man of no patience, you could see it in him. That was a notch against him. In the wild country, a body needs patience".

Default Bushler...

Is a term used to describe a timber faller that works for scale rather than an hourly or day wage. The more you cut the more you get paid! Many of the falling contractors have gone to day wages in the last ten years or so but some still pay by log scale.

Default Ms361

Gordon,

You can't go wrong with a MS361. Lots of power and less weight than the MS 441. A definite pro-saw.

Now, I can almost smell the controversial mixture of aromatic two-stroke mix and the sweet sappy juice of a 500 year old Tongass Western Hemlock as I put the final touches on the backcut. Fully aware of every little creak and groan the the wood fiber makes as I eagerly await movement indicating the fall. At the same time, out of the corner of my eye, I spy a endangered marbled Murrelet flutter away from it's sacred nest full of precious eggs high above my location.

Good times.. I'll work on this story some more.

Happy cutting!

Default stihl

My dad has been using the same 041 since about 1978. He heats w/nothing but wood, so that saw has seen some use. Its still going strong. I bought an MS 260 a few years ago, and I love it. Its a bit smaller than my dad's saw (trees aren't as big around here as they are where he lives), but he thought it compared well to his when he used it.
    Husqvarna also makes a good saw, but growing up with Stihl convinced me. I think all of their saws are good, but I'd go with a professional grade one if I was you. I think the 260 is the smallest pro grade, but I could be wrong about that.

Default coaldust

doesn't your story include the sound of running water from the clearwater stream "full" of spawning steelead?

The tool-less chain tensioner and changer on the Stihls is very fast and nice.
    The smaller saws are great up here with the wood size.

2 days ago was looking at a new Husky saw. I have a new 20" poulan I caught on a sale at the base. Also have an older sears 18", homilite 16" and a 14" homilite I take the 14" camping with me. The Husky I was looking at is the 460 mod. It has a 24 inch bar. I have one of the Alaska chain saw mills I got for my birthday 3 yrs ago and have been wanting to use it. Needed something with a 24 inch bar and some rip chain and a little more power. Sale price was $419.00, plus tax. The boss was with me and agreeded with it. Got a feeling its gonna show up around here real soon. Then can make enough rough boards, posts to build the shed gonna have to build for my grand-daughters horse shell be getting next summer.
    Can cut some of bigger oak for fire wood. Son in law has a 36" stihl he bought used and its a fine saw also. Daughter has a 14" stihl she uses for limbing and brush clearing.

Gun Runner

Default Stihl MS 361

I wouldn't put out the extra $$ for anything bigger than the MS 361.These firs are well over 100' tall, and as I'd mentioned, 18" -24" through, and it eats them up.Forgot to mention my hunting camp Husky...14" bar.I love the hell out of it.Keep a sharp chain, and cuts 6-8" rounds all day for my barrel stove in the wall tent.GR

Default Hey Coaldust

Does this bring back fond memories?

Husky 385 XP 32" bar....nice!

Last edited by Austin; 01-25-2008 at 19:46. Reason: add text

Default It's all your fault :)

Coaldust, Rovingarcher, Austin, Gun Runner, BTK, walk-in, and all you other pros, it's all your fault when I can't sleep a good nights sleep, and I ain't a'kiddn! Two days ago I was not really contemplating on purchasing a chainsaw right away, tonight it seems if I don't buy a Stihl MS361 immediately there won't be a single one available tomorrow on the entire planet - odd how that works

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS361.html

Maybe a light adult beverage will help me find some rest

Good night (hopefully), Gord

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast