Thread: So you think your a good shot?

Default So you think your a good shot?

Did I see the video correctly and that he missed his first shot when the antelope was standing still?? If he did take a first shot and missed when the antelope was standing still then as far as I am concerned the second shot taken on the antelope was not only luck but was very unwise in light of the fact that he did not hit him while standing still. Also, I saw blood I think on the stomach area of the antelope which means even though he killed the antelope, he was not using correct lead. Therefore, I do not think it was an amazing shot as much as a lucky shot. The only thing I am amazed at is the fact that the animal died quickly or it seems so and that I am thankful for. Nope!!! I am not impressed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Wonder how many he has wounded that way. I think they need to work on their hunting skills and ethics. Not impressed either.

Climb on a horse right after antelope season and move about half a mile out from the roads. You'll find this kind of skill feeding buzzards all over the place. Ride a little further and you'll start to see the cripples that have managed to live a little longer.

I bet that if it did not fall right there they would have just got back into the truck to shoot at (wound) some more.

Doubt these guys look for signs of blood after a shot if they think they may have missed.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Guess you dont need a 257-300 wby to reach out and touch something. A 25-06 will outreach any shot people should be taking at game anyway.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Quote Originally Posted by mnbirddog View Post
    Guess you dont need a 257-300 wby to reach out and touch something. A 25-06 will outreach any shot people should be taking at game anyway.

You could have a point for those who can't shoot long distance or really don't know what they are doing because of the lack of practice. I practice at least 6 months a year on long shots at least twice a month. I can do it, and I will take only the shot I know I can under proper conditions. That is certainly not the case with these guys on the video. With a 25-06 I would not take certain long shots because of velocity, bullet weight and win but would with the 270-300Wby and the 140gr and 150gr bullet. I made my comments on the video because I do and have made long shots. I was not putting down long shots I was only pointing out the way these guys did it was not correct nor appropriate. They did not prepare nor set up right and as I said it was a lucky shot. He should have never missed the first but the way he missed so bad, he should have never tried in the first place. It was evident that he does not really practice long shots.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default I don't/can't shoot like that

and I thought the Brokeback Mountain comments were inappropriate...
    heh

As soon as I saw them get out of the truck, I got this impression I was not going to be impressed. I was not disappointed.

I have hunted antelope and that goat was not running as fast as it could trust me. It was a lucky shot. Goats are very fast and til you hunt them you will never know. The first one I shot was at about 75 yards and it was going as fast as it could I was use to hunting deer and put the cross hairs of a 22-250 on its nose and shot it right in the butt. Killed many since but you must learn to lead them by about two lengths. Them little buggers are good eating though.

Geez what a bunch of yayhoos. Thats the kind of video that gives us hunters bad press. Then they put in on the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ...Therefore, I do not think it was an amazing shot as much as a lucky shot. The only thing I am amazed at is the fact that the animal died quickly or it seems so and that I am thankful for. Nope!!! I am not impressed.
    Seems like the shooter was also amazed that he actually hit the antelope. It was as if he didn't really expect to hit anything. Then afterwards, before folding up the bipod, he proceeded to point his rifle at the other guys as they walked over to him. This guy was so busy preparing for his victory dance that he threw safe gun handling right out the window. Did you catch that?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWoodsWalker View Post
    Seems like the shooter was also amazed that he actually hit the antelope. It was as if he didn't really expect to hit anything. Then afterwards, before folding up the bipod, he proceeded to point his rifle at the other guys as they walked over to him. This guy was so busy preparing for his victory dance that he threw safe gun handling right out the window. Did you catch that?
    Not until you wrote this and I went back and watched it. WOW!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I didn't intend to criticize this video too much but I keep having flashbacks of the unsafe actions depicted. The shooter initially gets out of the truck where he has been carrying the rifle in the cab with the passengers. And get this: the rifle is already loaded. When he gets out of the truck he sets up the bipod but he doesn't load the rifle because it is already loaded!

This video is a classic example of unsafe gun handling and oky-dokie kill tactics. I wouldn't call it hunting. Seems like anything goes in that crowd and it's only a matter of time before somebody is going to get hurt or killed.

Although I did notice the waving rifle towards the people comiong up to him after the shot, I have to admit I did not notice he didn't chamber a round after getting out of the truck. I agree, a very lucky shot, and a poor one, that NEVER should have been taken. Definitely NOT a potential hunting partner. If he was really a good long range shooter, he would have made a good shot while the antelope was standing still.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWoodsWalker View Post
    Then afterwards, before folding up the bipod, he proceeded to point his rifle at the other guys as they walked over to him. Did you catch that?
    Yup, I noticed that right away. Not for me, thanks.

Default Only thing missing was the cooler

The only thing that could have made this video better is if half the guys had been hanging out of the back of the truck and had beers in their hands. Pretty sad, in all... Hope the person who owns the ranch sees that footage and takes a moment to think before allowing this group back on his property.