Thread: Potential new world record brown bear

Default Potential new world record brown bear

Click the link below and scroll about half way down to view pictures of the bear. It says the skull scored 30 15/16. I'm assuming that's a "green" measurement.

http://www.alaskanperimeter.com/brown.html

Thumbs up

any further info' on this huge development? any link to the story behind this?

thanks for posting this. i had not heard about it.

No, I don't know anything about the hunter who shot the bear or the hunt. Maybe I'll try and contact that outfitter and see if he will tell me about the bear. If he does, I'll post the story.

Also, I found the following at the Alaska Guide Report. It mentions an almost 31 inch bear that squared over 11 feet. You can click the link below too and access it. I don't know if this is the same bear in the previous link I posted or not.
    http://www.alaskanyukon.com/coupons.htm

The 2006 spring brown bear season has wrapped up and reports we have received are mixed. A late spring kept many bears in the hole longer than normal. We heard of one large boar taken on the 25 th of May with his digestive plug still intact. The biggest bear killed this spring that we are aware of was by the very young daughter of an Alaskan guide. We saw the bear in May at the taxidermist and can attest to the fact that it is huge - over 11 feet with a skull that green scored close to thirty one inches. We have heard of guides going 100% with bears pushing 10 feet, down to a few outfitters that got skunked. Statewide, the average brown bear killed this spring was slightly larger than 7 feet squared, with a twenty three inch plus skull. Of course Kodiak, the Peninsula, and other coastal areas saw bigger bears harvested. If you have ever been on a fair chase bear hunt, you know how tough these hunts can be.

I heard about that new bear as well, Henry Tiffany's guide operation down outa False Pass nailed it this spring. as for the guide report that 11 foot bear mentioned was shot by Larry Rivers daughter, 10 year old girl i think, maybe 11, but either way, larry showed me the pics of the bear told me it squred out at 11'7", and the pics sure looked it. awesome bear for sure. somewhere south end of the peninsula. big bears are still out there...to bad cabela's don't care about them like they do whitetail!

At 30 and 15/16th, I would bet it loses enough to shrinkage to NOT break the record. 60 day drying period but I've heard it can be months before the OFFICIAL FINAL measurement.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Brownie

Yes, Larry River's daughter shot this 11' 7" brown bear with a 375 H&H at the ripe old age of 10 twice, once at 31 yards and then again at 112. What a monster!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What did they take that picture with a cell phone??? Good goin' for that kid.

LOL......no, i resized it to small then had to make it a little bigger, thats why it's fuzzy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So what was the green score on the girls bear, the skull I mean?
    Tony Dingess website has a picture of a bear one of his clients took this spring that must be as big as the girls.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wish I knew MT but Larry didn't say.

martentrapper;

i will take that bet. i think that it will tie the current record or best it by 1/16". time will tell.

so much for the guys who say there are no true 10' bears out there and they are all streched.

even with a cell phone camera photo that bear looks big. there is no passing on that one for hope of a bigger one.

Wow. They really don't get any bigger than that.

That brown bear in the photo scord 30 2/16, not a world record but dang close!

Default skull size

When the Alaska Department of Fish game "offically measures" a skull during the sealing process, that offical measurment is for the purpose of game biology & recording and isn't nessesarily the same "green" measurment that an offical B&C score would be.
    Specifically I've seen several case where the bilologist, or some office helper, will measure the skull roughly. I've seen the claiber slide over the back ridge of the skull, I've seen the calibers measure to the front of the upper teeth...versus measuring to the base of the center tooth on the lenght measurment. It seems like most skulls that are presented for sealing have only been field cleaned, so there is still some meat and other matter on the skull. During the width measurment I've seen the calibers slide over the outside jaw bone, which would also give a false indication of size.
    Its been my experince that more times that not the first measurment you get will most likey be the largest measurment....then after the skull is throughly cleaned it seems to have a slightly smaller measurment, and then by the time the 60 day drying period is up and an offical B&C measurment can be made the skull is smaller yet again. Skulls are measured to the closed 1/16", even uder the best circumstanses it is common for the ADF&G measurment to be 2 or 3/16 smaller than the later B&C measurment.

On a similar note when someone, anyone, makes a claim of "posible new WORLD RECORD" they need to have "WORLD RECORD PROOF" that can be independently varified. Afterall, any skull, antler or horn recorded within the top 10 will be highly scrutinized and pannel scored by B&C.

ANY skull around 30" is HUGE!!!,,,plus it looked like a nice hide to me.

good hunting..>Byron Lamb

Default The Rest Of The Story...

Hey guys.

The bear picture that started this thread is still a great bear, but Alaska Fish and Wildlife grossly over-scored the skull. Here's the story

http://www.bear-hunting.com/news.cfm...ewsFlashID=138

Wow, thats crazy, the guy that measured it the first time was 2 inches off. Still a heck of a bear though and a great story too.

i agree with byron, i would expect 2-3 1/16's of an inch shrinkage from time of sealing till time of 60 day scoring.