Thread: Different Type of UHMW Sleds

Default Different Type of UHMW Sleds

I mentioned in the other thread, I have been building "Siglin type" UHMW sleds for about 20 years, and if I could only own one sled it would be that type. I have hauled everything from 55 gal drums of fuel to 16 foot 2X6's in those sleds. But a couple of years ago I put together a couple of sleds that are unique in their design and uses. I'll try and string together some pictures and answer any questions you may have.

This first sled was put together with one 10' sheet of plastic, using wood sled runners that I get from Cold Spot Feeds, in Fairbanks. The sled runners make it fast and easy to put together, but adds to the cost, of course. We use this sled to haul four wheelers, broken down snowmachines, 55 gal drums, and lumber, etc. It is a workhorse!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Additional Pic

I have had good luck using the 3/4" x 11/2" UHMW runners on these larger sleds. I originally had three runners on this sled and added the others after the first trip and it seems to run better with the big loads.

Default Rolls Royce of Sleds

I built this sled two years ago, using the white (non-UV) UHMW because that is all I could get at the time. Once again I used wooden sled runners as a "base", on the sides, and used countersunk stainless screws, and construction adhesive to hold it all together. I used Ash (from Superior Hardwoods, in Fairbanks) for the staves along the bottom. I made this sled just wide enough for 55 gal drums. It will hold four drums, but three full drums is over 1000 lbs and is plenty to pull, especially up hills. The hitch is made to flip both ways, to accomodate both "flapper type' and pentil type hitches. Once again, I used UHMW skegs. I also attached another hitch to the back, so that I can pull tandem sleds, if they are not too heavy.

Default Latest Sled

I put this sled together from UV UHMW (from Alaska Rubber, in Fairbanks) a couple of months ago. I wanted a smaller sled for day trips, and used the taller sides, like on the newer Northern Sled Works sleds. I have been getting the half inch thick UHMW, for the tongues, from Alaska Rubber also. The hitch itself is made from a block of scrap 2" thick plastic, an eyebolt from Home Depot (electrical dept), and springs from NAPA Auto Parts.

Default me first, I have questions

First of all, thanks for taking the time to share. Great looking sleds!
    - Is your first sled, the black one, 1/4" thick? With the strips, do you think you could use 3/16"?
    - What are the sled dimensions?
    - What are the tongue dimensions(oa length x oa width)? What type machine are you pulling with and how high is the hitch?
    - Second sled, what is the material dimensions for the tongue(WxHxL of each side)?
    - Can you get a better picture of the hitch?
    - What are the sled dimensions.

Thanks for sharing. I keep saying if you put 10 guys in a room you'll have 10 different ideas on how to build a sled and the hitch. And they will all work.

Default Re:questions

I'll take some more pics today and send some measurements.

Default Details on Flat Black Sled

That sheet of black plastic is 3/8" thick, and just happens to be what I had, but works very well for that work horse sled. It is 9 1/2' long by 42" wide. The tongue is 42" wide by 46" long, made from 1/2" stock. On the two big sleds I made the tongue's removable by using the clevis', through the tongues and eye bolts.

In a previous post I mentioned that I get the 1/2" plastic from Alaska Rubber. That was a mistake. I get the 1/2" material from Cold Spot Feeds, in Fairbanks.

Default Detals on Large White Sled

That sled is 9' long by 41" wide. The tongue is 44" long (48" material on each side). The hitch is the one that flips around to accomodate either type of snomachine hitch. I can't take credit for the hitch design. It was designed by Dave, at Northern Sled Works, and works very well.

Default Couple more pictures

As you can imagine, the large white sled is pretty heavy, even when empty, because of all the wood built into it. However, it is also quite stable, because of the way it is built, and the flat bottom. It carries full 55 gal drums very nicely. I use the "bunks" that you see in the picture below, to set the drums in, inside both the white and black sled.

I included a picture of the wood, at the front of the white sled, as it is what ties the two wood sled runners together.

Last year I was using a 550 Skandik to pull the sleds, and now have a wide track Skandik.

Default smaller sled

really like the smaller sled with the high sides. Would work good for my needs. What do you figure you have into it money wise? would like to build one myself. Thanks for the info. Great sleds

Default Cost of smaller sled

I got the grey UV virgin uhmw at Alaska Rubber, and it was about $40/foot, and it is a 7' piece. The 1/2" tongue piece was about $60 (if I remember right), from Cold Spot. All the hitch hardware, bolts, nuts, washers, etc. run about another $50. So, when all is said and done, even a small one is going to run a little over $400. Of course the big expense is the uhmw, and if you can get it cheaper, that is the place to save some money.

I think Dave, and Northern Sledworks sells his 5' sleds (with the tall sides)for about $525, so like I mentioned in an earlier post, unless you just really enjoy doing this kind of thing, it is tough to beat his prices.

I meant to mention before, if any of you are interested in looking at any of the sleds, up close, and taking measurements and/or pictures, you are welcome to come by and take a look at them. I am on Chena Ridge, in Fairbanks.

Default sled material

Another source of uhmw plastic is Bucher glass in Fairbanks I bought some there a few years ago to build a sled. This year I will be doing it again as the Rex trail tore mine up, But I was hauling out a Bull I got with muzzloader and camping supplies so it wasn' a light load.

Default Bucher UMVW

You're right, I forgot about Bucher Glass. I bought some there a few years ago also. The good news is they have about the best price in town for the non-UV inhibited white stuff. Bad news is, last time I checked, all they carry is the non-UV white. The white is OK, but the sled won't last nearly as long, but you can prolong the life if you keep it covered and out of the sun, when not in use.

Default Yukontools

this is riflemakers claim to fame. Maybe something in these threads you can use.

Need to bump this one too, as it relates to last spring's sled projects.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Good bumper

JOAT, You are a good bumper. I got to thinking about doing the same and you beat me there.
    I got to thinking about the Freight Sled question again. I wonder if anybody in Anchor Town has UHMW for dump truck liners? Either new or used? Normally it is black, re-cycled material, but you can get it a lot bigger than the 4''x10' sheets we bought.
    A guy might check around with the dirt haulers and see what is available. If all he wanted was a season out of a sled that might be a good way to go.
    I wonder if Riflemaker has anymore great sled ideas cooking?

Default Alaska rubber?

Anyone have bad dealings with them? My dad bought some from them and took over a month of calling, etc. and still no answer. Finally dad went in and was going to ask for him money to be refunded and then cut the pieces there for him. That was enough for me to decide to look elsewhere.

I donít know if these people are still around.

Plastic supply inc. 206-627-0063

Default Uhmw

I buy UHMW from High-Tech Plastics
    to make skis. UHMW has great wear resistance and durability. Never had a problem with it.