Thread: Need Advice

Default Need Advice

I have a son who will be visiting the Anchorage area the last week of May. From what I have read here & from checking some other sites as well, it looks like he will be too early for salmon, but is there some decent rainbow or dolly varden action in the Anchorage area at that time? He would prefer to wade & flyfish. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Oh heck yeah!! You or he could pm me or anyone else. Some great rainbow fishing avail.

Some of the streams are closed but Powdermonkey has a good handle on fishing trout. PM him.

Tons of charter folks on here too that are super helpful if he will be fishing out of town.

Lakes galore to fish as well at that time and the fish are hungry.

It will not be hot and heavy but there will be king salmon in Ship Creek. there are also many local lakes that have rainbows and dollies. If he has transport there is even more available.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

you need to fish smolt patterns, smolt patterns and more smolt patterns. Theres a ton of spawning closures that time of year so mind them and fish clear streams without spawning closures. The anchor should have some kings and dollies around if its not blown out it will be worth a look. The park highway streams are pretty good that time of year, and again mind spawning closures. I can point you to a couple of lakes that always have great spring fishing for big bows.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Kings in May

If your travels bring you to the Kenai Peninsula, the Kasilof will be going hot and heavy at the end of May for kings. You can charter a drift boat guide or DIY wade fishing at the confluence of Crooked Creek and the Kasilof River (People hole). This is a great place if you want to try your luck with a fly for kings as well.

AKPM has some very sound advice regarding the closures. Most streams will be closed to rainbow fishing until the second week of June. Dolly fishing is open, but there are many who feel that it is unethical to fish for dollies during the closure because of the amount of incidental catches of vulnerable love sick rainbows.

Also, check the regs for the lower Kenai Peninsula rivers/streams. Most are only open on a few select weekends.

Good luck

Thanks for the help guys. This will give him a place to start & he will have transportation. Where we live any trout/salmonoid over a couple of pounds is considered a monster, so I have a feeling that what may be poor by your standards might be good by his. Fishing in Alaska is a paradigm shift from the lower 48. I'm not sure he has the equipment to handle a king, but its always fun trying. He always has the option of upgrading or spending the $ for a guide.

Powdermonkey:

I'm guessing the smolts are only an inch or two long at that time of year, am I correct? I can tie him up a bunch for his trip--just want to get the size right. BTW: I was wondering about your handle--you aren't EOD are you? I spent 8 years working in Army EOD so I though I'd ask.

Nope the powder refers to natural crack AKA snow

I'll be fishing size 6 thunder creeks and size 6 white zonkers. For lakes tie black wooly buggers, olive wolly buggers, midges, scuds and various attractors. Lake fishing is your best bet for big bows in may.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Deep Creek Combo

Saltwater King fishing is at its peak that week, and limits of chicken Halibut are norm out of Ninilchik.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com