Thread: Major and Minor Spatial Units

Default Major and Minor Spatial Units

Does anyone know where to access a map delineating the major and minor units that Fish and Game uses? These are the spatial measurements that provide more specific locations within a game management unit and subunit. It would allow hunters to see which drainages, sometimes specific locations, animals have been harvested in.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...harvest.lookup

This is the link you are looking for....... I just got finished checking out the area I am interested in hunting for a 2009 moose hunt. It is very handy in the fact that you can look at details of each GMU right down to which drainage the animals were killed, how big they were, and who killed them(residents or non residents)

I don't know which area you are looking for, but I found details for the past 25 years.
    [/SIGPIC]As free as ashes in the wind . . . .

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Default No such thing

Ryebud,
    Do not click on the above links under any circumstance. Your computer will get a nasty virus and explode. There is no such thing as the minor UPC code or Major Palatial Unit. ;-) So don't waste valuable work time looking for it.

Research is half the fun of the hunt. Knock yourself out. Good luck and have fun.

what are you talking about?? It is exactly what he wanted!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    what are you talking about?? It is exactly what he wanted!?!?!?!
    I'm thinking it was sarcasm, Dusty. You see....the more informed hunters there are, the more competition, the harder it is to keep your spot secret, etc. etc. etc.

I think sheepshape was just having a little fun.

Default If anybody is having trouble

If you are having trouble figuring this out.... here is exactly what to do...

Go to this link http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...streports.main

1. Select the YEAR you wish to look up.
    2. Select the SPECIES you are interested in.
    3. CLICK on Get Reports.

NEXT: A new page comes up.

1. In the SUMMARY REPORTS section select DRAINAGE USE LISTING.
    2. Select the Game Mangmt Unit
    3. Select the SEASON
    4. CLICK on Get Reports

A new page should come up that gives you the DRAINAGE USE LISTING information. You should look at this list and find the drainage that you are interested in hunting and right down the UNIT, MAJOR, and MINOR numbers.

Then Click this link http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...harvest.lookup

This should bring up the page that I originally posted.

1. Select the YEAR of interest.
    2. Select SPECIES
    3. Select GMU's
    4. Select HUNT
    5. CHECK the HUNTED, HARVESTED, and SEX boxes as YES.
    6. In the ORDER BY section select GMU, MAJOR, and MINOR
    7. Click on DISSPLAY RECORDS.

PRESTO!!! Now just look down through the information and find the lines that corespond to your GMU, Major and Minor spacial units.

On a side note, if you go back to the page where you selected DRAINAGE USE LISTING from the Summary Reports List, there are a lot of other interesting lists here too. Such as:

1. Harvest by Residency and Residence Community ..... so you can see who and how many people hunt in your area.
    2. Summary of Hunter Effort vs. Success by subunit.... so that you can see how many days each hunter was in the woods and when they were successful.
    3. Horn/Antler Study.... tells you how big each animal was and what the average size is for your area.
    4. Summary By Transportation and Subunit .... tells you how the people hunting in your area are getting there ...4wheelers, boats, planes etc and which ones are succesful.

The moral of my story is ...... Lots of info out there for everyone to look at.

Best of luck to you.

Talking

Again all the info in said reports is falsified, zero accuracy involed with H Reports. You'll waste several weeks of your life pouring over meaningless data.
    ugghhh!

A source that tells you exactly what size antlers the harvested animals had and where they were killed.

Click on this link:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...streports.main
    Select the YEAR and SPECIES.

Then new page comes up.

1. Under the Summary Reports scroll down and select HORN/ANTLER STUDY
    2. Select GMU
    3. Select the appropriate HUNT

Now you can see where and how many critters where killed and how big there head gear was after they were "ground checked".

I posted complete instructions for looking this stuff up on the board a couple minutes ago, but if you need any more help let me know and I will be glad to anyway that I can.

Good Luck

Wink That's Why

"some people" lie on their harvest reports.....
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."