Thread: A must read!

Default A must read!

This guy learned a lesson!

http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html

Jake

Default Ouch!

I would call that guy lucky, it could have been worse.

I would call that very good performance from the Federal Hydro-Shock, that's good to know.

I've seen a couple of these, usually from the holster or trying to get to the gun in the holster, or practicing the art of the old western quick draw.

The Cooper rules have always made so much sense to me and I really like the straight forward simplicity of them. Cooper was the best.

I want to offer my thanks to this guy for sharing this information about his unfortunate experience, may we all learn something.

Also, there is no such thing as a shooting accident, it is always a negligent act.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ouch!! I bet he won't let that happen again.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default good reminder

It's always hard to beleive that things like that happen and you wonder how it's even possible. This is a good reminder for of us and may be good to our young hunters.

I know these accidents sound improbable, and most folks figure it'll never happen to them. I haven't shot myself or anyone else, but did have a very sobering a/d many years back.

From that incident I learned that you can never, ever let down your dillegence when handling a fire arm. Every time you handle a gun, cycle the action and be sure that it is unloaded. Doesn't matter if you just put the gun down, you are instilling a habit that will prevent you from insuring or killing someone.

I'm sure everyone is wise enough to not handle a fire arm when they have been consuming alcohol, but the same holds if you are fatigued or simply mentally distraced due to stress.

My ad occured at the end of a long week when I should have just put off my gun work for another day. But I just had to do some work on my gun, and in the haze of fatigue in trying out my action job just one more time, I put a 44 cal hole through several sheets of drywall.

Yup, only idiots due those things, and due to fatique and negligence, I was that idiot for a split second.

On the upside my children are having safe firearms handling skills drilled into them.

Man that guy is lucky! and I sure bet it hurts like hell.

That is pretty typical 45 cal performance. J.

I think we are the lucky ones! We have the opportunity to learn a valuable lesson at this poor guys expense and only because he was willing to share it with us.

I know that this could have been me! This hits close to home for all of us!

Unhappy Ouch!

That is scarry stuff. I sometimes think that it is we, the folks who utilize firearms with great proficiency and frequncy, who are most at risk in these circumstances. Because we operate them so frequently and are accustomed to them, we become complacent. One should ALWAYS respect a firearm. I did not say be affraid of it, just RESPECT it, and the damage it can do. As the gentleman accounts, he did not clear the weapon, nor strip it, because the procedure he was performing, replacing a grip safety, was so simple... How many times have we swapped mags in a pistol while in the garage prepping for a range outing without clearing the chamber and locking open the action? How about puting on an laser sight on our tac rail before a range excursion? And so many other things... I know I will do my best to be more vigilant because of this poor guys mistake.