Thread: belt/clutch issue

Default belt/clutch issue

Hi All,

I have a 2001 SWT Skandic and I use it to groom dog trails. Last night while pulling a light drag, it felt like the belt started to skip. Sure enough when I opened the hood, and removed the shroud, it looked to me like the clutch pulley when engaged by centrifugal force wasn't "clamping" down tight enough on the sides of the belt to engage it. The belt, to my novice eyes, seems to be in very good shape. My dealer says repair times are up to a week or more, and I thought maybe it is something I could handle, but don't know a whole lot about CVT systems. The dealer mentioned something about the secondary clutch, but I never saw that activate because the belt was never engaged fully. Any suggestions? Are there adjustments on the forward clutch to allow it to travel further along the shaft and engage more solidly?

I'm kind of desperate because I volunteered to help a junior sled dog race tomorrow and they are counting on me and my machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

As belts wear they get narrower. Novice eyes can't see that. I'd remove your old belt, clean up the sheaves with a Scotchbrite pad, and put a new belt on. Also check your track tension. Your drivers may be jumping a window.

thanks for the info. I don't think the track has skipped, I had that happen before, and know the feeling. i was told to take the belt off and check the secondary clutch, making sure both sides turn freely in opposite directions.

Before the manufacturer's provided the screw-in tool to open the secondary clutch, we'd rotate the inner sheave backwards to open it. It won't move "freely", but it should move with some force. A cheap repair may be to remove your belt and scrub it in the sink with some dish soap and a brush, and clean the clutch faces as best you can. See if that helps. Make sure you don't have a bunch of ice frozen in the tunnel around the drivers from our slushy weekend, too.

Also, double check to see that you have the correct belt for the machine. I have been given the wrong belt on more than one occasion from dealers when I replace mine. You should also disassemble and clean the clutches regularly (at least once a year). Belt dust gathers on the helix and keeps it from shifting properly which will cause the machine to feel sluggish when it doesn't backshift.

Another thing to check would be the main springs in the clutches, they do break on occasion (more often in the primary than secondary).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for all the info, here is the update:

I put a new belt on, and used scotch brite on the inside of the clutch faces. With the track off the ground, everything seems to work ok, and the track spins, but once under load ie: when the machine is back on the ground, the secondary clutch shaft just spins in the gearbox - it doesn't even move the machine at all. This would leave me to believe the gearbox has crapped the bed, but.... when the machine is off, and in gear, and I turn the secondary clutch by hand, the machine moves. It will be hard to groom trails that way!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

You may have stripped your drivers. I don't remember anyone doing this before, but it seems like it would be the only logical explanation. Have you opened the gear box and checked the gears/chain? The gears are either keyed or splined so they shouldn't give out without a lot of ugly noise. The drivers are plastic so it is possible that the splined center has come loose from the plastic driver and is spinning inside when under a load. Driver replacement is a several hour job....
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'll open the gear box and take a look. thanks. can you see the drivers with the top open?

The drivers are actually what drive the track (large black plastic gear type items typically), they aren't in the chaincase. Put the track under a load (however it was slipping before) and have someone else give it a little throttle while you look up toward the front of the track and watch the drivers. If you see the shaft turning but the drivers aren't, you have found the problem.

The drivers are item 20 and 21 -

AKmud

oh, ok. Those drivers I know. good idea, I'll take a look. thanks again.

Good diagram
    Took a look at the item#9 key , may be worn/missing, allowing sheave to rotate under load.