I am new to this forum, and it has been a great help.
I have a cabin near Seldovia, and over the last couple of years, I have been slowly preparing myself to really get into the fishing around the area. However, I do have a few questions. I figure that, since it's the "off season", I'd try to get everyone excited.
1. What is the preferred setup for halibut (rod and reel). I'd like all opinions on this one...the "money is not an issue" opinion and "**** this stuff is expensive" opinion.
2. I'd like to start downrigger fishing for salmon as well. What is the preferred set up for this? I've never downrigged before, but know that the waters around Seldovia are great for kings, reds and silvers.
3. Any downrigger preferences? Manual vs. electric. I'd like to try not to break the bank on this one.
4. Fishing spots out of Seldovia? I have a 21 foot Deep V aluminum skiff; I'll be going up in June and August. I'd like to hit the halibut really hard in June, but I know that it's also a good time for reds and kings as well. I've read about Flat Island and such, but would prefer to stay away from crowds.
5. Any opinions on a fish finder/GPS/ depth finder? I've budgeted about $700 for this, as I've never had one and figure this is one of the main reasons we don't catch as much as we could.
6. Rigging and hook size? Seemed like last year, we had a really hard time hooking up the halibut...they weren't really big, and I thought that hook size had a lot to do with it...any comments on circles vs. J hooks?
Any further help would be appreciated. I'm not trying to get anyone to give up their favorite spots, just want to know in which direction to head.
Thanks in advance.