Thread: Update on Backpack Hunting Packs..Barneys hmmmm

Default Update on Backpack Hunting Packs..Barneys hmmmm

Well fellas I now see why so many of you hype up the Barneys Pack. wolfkiller here on the forum was kind enough to let me borrow his Carnivore Frame and a Pinacle bag tonight to take home and get a feel for it. I adjusted a couple things cuz he's a bit taller than me and all I can say is man is this thing comfortable! I cant say for sure why it is so comfortable but I am gonna say that the ultra fat and cushy shoulder straps combined wit the soft and cushy waist belt definately has something to do with it. I put about 80 lbs (dumbell set in a hard plastic carry case) on the frame with a strap, which would normally be pretty **** heavy in most packs I have owned and you really dont feel the weight , seriously. The frame is well put together with strong welds in places that it would need it and it really doesn't weigh very much. So it looks like I am gonna have to give one of these a whirl. The Pinnacle bag is ginormous, I think I could use it as a bivy, but the one wolfkiller has is not the camo cordura version its a pinstripe patterned ripstop with like a eurethane coating on the inside. I'd be afraid to pack that bag on a sheep hunt cuz I know I'd put too much stuff in it. I believe its 7600 cu in and it looks like its 9000. I have some ideas about using a couple different sized dry bags instead of the mongo Pinnacle bag but I'll be giving the boys at Barneys a call tomorrow to discuss my options. So tongue in cheek, I see why so many of you guys love this pack, it only takes putting it on to figure that out. I can tell you that this not the same thing as the Cabelas and Kelty external frames that I have used in the past.

Default lots of room

you can definately put more in that thing than you want to carry...and still find room to put a sheep in there....this year i'll probably get a new waist band...mine's bee rode hard and hung up wet....literally
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Ya I used one on my first sheep hunt which was actually accompanying a buddy who drew DCUA. We walked in 20 miles. We rigged up an older Kelty bag on the frame and I adjusted the harness to fit. I hauled too much junk in with me and half a ram coming out so had to have been over 100lbs easy. It worked great. He has one of those obscenely large Barneys bags on his pack. I have some pics somewhere, might have to scan them someday.

Watch it now!... the bigger the pack, the boat, the truck, the 4 wheeler the more you junk you haul
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yep, once people use a Barney's pack they rarely will use anything else.

Wink careful snyd...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    ..Watch it now!... the bigger the pack, the boat, the truck, the 4 wheeler the more you junk you haul
    Aren't you two partners? The bigger your partners bag...the less that goes in your bag Isn't that how it works

Perrys pack aint little either!.....grin

It really is nice to have a large capacity bag. You can keep everything IN the pack rather than having to Beverly Hillbilly it through the alders and having stuff hang up on everything cuz you have main compartment full of meat. I say get the largest capacity pack bag you can. But then weigh all your gear and count your ounces

My buddies Barneys bag is quite a few years old. Like maybe 15 years or more?? I thought I heard they don't make that particular one anymore. It's like 8000+ cubes or some outrageous thing. Lightweight strong material. Pretty dang nice. It should be though for the money he spent on it.

Get that Barneys pack Cub, then you can pack ME up the mountain!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

They make another pack thats made of that lightweight Kevlar stuff that is close to 5000 cu in and only weighs like 3 lbs and looks like a better fit than the mongo bag (Pinnacle). It leaves the bottom of the frame shelf available to strap meat on. Its all up in the air. Spent some time today talking with John at Mountain Sports about the dry bag idea and I have some wheels spinning in my head on some options. He can get some dry bags that are extremely lightweight, like 5000 cu in woth between 2 and together they are lighter than 1lb, and then I saw a pseudo day pack (2000 cu in) at Beaver Sports made by OR that weighs less than a lb as well that would make organizing a cinch. Havent decided on what I want to do yet, got lots of time.

Bud, I will definately have to be in better shape this year than I was last year, if I am gonna carry you, all that tasty granola of yours, and all the summer sausage and bagels too, plus your sheep meat.....geez maybe I better get that mongo Pinnacle bag.......grin