Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring bear

Default Spring bear

I know its early but ive been reading every bear post and im fired up. Im thinking about buying a game cam for this years bear bait. Im wondering if you guys would share some pics along with what game cam you are using. Thanks Hillbilly

Default Camera

I got the Stealth-cam v450 for X-mas and finally remembered to bring home some C batteries. Got it out on the tree and have many fine pictures of my Yellow Lab "Frank", but I am lacking any game as of yet. Hopefully will have pics to follow. As for the camera it seems user friendly and the internal viewing screen is clear. Have heard good things about the Moultrie also. Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Katfish View Post
    I got the Stealth-cam v450 for X-mas and finally remembered to bring home some C batteries. Got it out on the tree and have many fine pictures of my Yellow Lab "Frank", but I am lacking any game as of yet. Hopefully will have pics to follow. As for the camera it seems user friendly and the internal viewing screen is clear. Have heard good things about the Moultrie also. Kat
    Is that a digital model?

I started using digital game cameras in 2005. I started with a Moultrie and just by luck it turned out to do a great job. I liked it so well that I ended up buying a total of three to position around my place at strategic points....

These cameras have several setup options that allow you to choose video or still pics..... number of pics to take at each event, delay between pics, quality of pics, time stamping the pics, night pics via flash....etc

They are upgradeable with a simple SD memory card so if you get serious about monitoring game movement and several cameras you only need to swap out the SD cards and bring them home instead of removing your camera and taking it home to see the pics. Remember, if there is a trophy in your area, he will be moving on that ONE night that your cameras are not out.

I am new here and haven't tried posting pics yet, but if you email me I will reply with several pics to show you the quality of daytime pics, nightime pics, and video that these cameras produce.

ddburnsworth@hotmail.com

Oh yeah, I paid about $100 -120 for each camera.
    [/SIGPIC]As free as ashes in the wind . . . .

You can get the game cams for a still on ebay. Lots of good deals. In the next month or so, I'm going to replace my two film stealth cams with two digital one's.

Default Digital cams

Im wanting digital but am torn between flash or IR. Im wondering if the flash will spook bears or not. Hillbilly

I've bought the Moultrie digital with rechargable battery and solor panel this winter off of ebay cheap. I also bought a bearproof metal box made for the camera off of ebay for $38. Bears like to chew on stuff and I don't want my camera to be bear bait.

Hillbilly,
    I have about 1,000 bear pics that I have taken with my Moultrie Game Spy cameras. Daylight and Night photos are about a 50/50 split. Thse cameras use a flash and the bears have never seemed to spook from the flash. Also, I have never had a bear chew or bite my cameras.....I think that is associated with the older film cameras that made buzzing noises as they were winding the film.

Of course since I live in PA, all of this info is for BLACK BEARS not BIG BEARS.

Default build your own

Hey, I bought two seperate over the counter models and had limited results with them about 3 years ago and wasn't impressed with the flash range of either one or the picture quality. I stumbled across this website ( http://www.hagshouse.com/Hags%20Hous...%20Project.htm )and discovered plans and materials on how to build one of your own. I spent about $125 on materials enough to build 2 1/2 cameras. I've attached a photo of the insides of one and what it looks like attached to a tree. I lived in Kentucky when I made these and have tons of pics of whitetails. Last spring I loaned them to a work buddy and have also attached two of those pics. One of a little blackie and you can also see how it picked up two moose walking behind the baiting station. I noticed also that the circuit board I used now have their own web site and may have some good information about their latest stuff but I haven't surfed it yet, ( http://www.fieldpix.com/ ) If you feel you need help at building one or want more information I would be glad to help in any way.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well could only upload two pics at a time so here are the pics from the spring bait station

Default Moultrie Game Spy

here are a couple pics from the Moultrie camera

Default Moultrie Game Spy 2

Here are two more pics

Default Cams

Dusty thanks for sharing the pics. I grew up in WV and know there are big black bears in PA. These interior bears arnt much bigger. Gwill as far as building one im not electronic saavy so im going to stick with buying one. Thanks for the offer. Hillbilly

Default Any one with AK experience?

Everything I have ever hung up in a tree or @ eye level they have checked out & chewed. Bears are smart & curious. I am always amazed @ what they can figure out & CLIMb up too. I once spanned an rotten Tyson turkey between two trees for scent attractent. They figured out how to get it down. This was black bears mind you. The big brown guys they just crush, destroy, or uproot anything the want to check out. I would also like to see this "BEAR PROOF" cage? It would have to be in a 1/2" thick steel case & recessed back in the box a ways & then I still bet it would be all gummed up from the bear licking the lens. Anyone in AK have first hand experience or lost a camera?

Hillbilly?
    In 2005, there were 3 black bears killed in PA that went over 800 lbs. Do they get that big up there?

Default Moultrie Digital Game Spy Cam

I have seen it as low at $49.99 and as high as $99.99. Very easy to use!

Default pics

some more. You will notice one of the dates in the pic is upside down. A bear this year decided to nibble on my cam and i had to rig it to make it work. Upside down was the only way.

I could use a couple of those bear proof cages as well, especially for the new one's that I plan on getting. I used two camera's last year, and both of them have battle scars from the bears. Though, they still work just fine.

Ward,

Nice pictures. Are those from Alaska? If so, you end up killing any of those bears in the pics?

Default bears

Matt

Yeah they are all from Alaska and unfortunately they are all still running around. I didnt get to shoot any of them. The 4th pick where the date is upside down is from a new area I baited this year. I didn't get to hunt the stand at all because I injured my hand towards the end of May and couldn't drive my atv. I am planning to go back this year.

Kyle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast