Thread: Vacationing in Seward

Default Vacationing in Seward

I am planning a trip to Seward, Alaska with my son early July. We would like to do a full day of Halibut fishing and a full day of salmon fishing. I need to know what would be the best charter to book thru. Should I make reservations now or wait? Also here is a simple itinerary for our 7 day stay. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since my son has never been to Alaska and I have never been in the Seward area.
    1. July 3rd Arriving in Anchorage Driving into Seward and checking in cabin and maybe taking a ride into town
    2. July 4th A full day in Seward to enjoy the 4th of July
    3. July 5th Sight seeing such as taking the gondola up the mountain in Girdwood, Exit glacier , and the Wildlife Conservation Center.
    4, July 6th Open
    5. July 7th Deep sea fishing for halibut

6. July 8th Salmon fishing

7. July 9th Checking out and heading back to Anchorage and spending a day before our flight leaves out, Maybe drive down into Whitier

Default NOW!!!!!!!

July 4th is the week of the Mount Marathon Race. The town will be swamped with people from ALL over. I suggest you make as many of your reservations now as you can, if they aren't booked already.
    Last edited by dandeo2003; 01-23-2008 at 21:19. Reason: used a $ instead of a 4

Ditto...Seward will be a zoo on that weekend.

Default Alaska's favorite seaside town...

That's Seward, a "crackerjack" of a place.

That's also the name of the charter outfit to book your event at sea, is you are lucky to find a spot...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Check out Sewards Chamber of Commerce, great info. There is a full day and or evening Sail boat tour that I am chomping to check out some time this year....

How old is your son?

George

I have used Profish-n-sea several times, very nice group.

http://www.profish-n-sea.com/

Have a good trip.

Doesn't Salt water Safari's do a salmon shark charter out of Seward? I have always wanted to do that. Those things get BIG.

I'll ditto the two charter outfits mentioned: ProfishnSea and Crackerjack - the best there is down there. However, I'd add that you might consider a halibut/lingcod combo instead of a straight halibut trip. Not much more money, and it doesn't get much better eating than lingcod. And, as has been mentioned, book NOW if you can.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Thanks for all the responses.

George Riddle:
    My son is 30yrs. old.

Default Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Doesn't Salt water Safari's do a salmon shark charter out of Seward? I have always wanted to do that. Those things get BIG.
    I don't think they are really doing too many of those trips anymore. It is a heck of a run from Seward. I would get a hold of Matt Kopec Whitter Charters. Very nice guy, fast boat.
    Myself, I am a big fan of catching the letting them go. There are plenty of other fish to eat that don't grow so slowly and live so long.

Just my 2 cents

Thumbs up Seward...

We spent the last week of June, 2006 in Seward and had a nice time. The Sea Life Center is worth walking through. I bet your kid would like it. We did a one day trip for halibut and had a nice time. Lots of charters to choose from. Google that for options. About $200/person from what I recall. We took a Kenai Fjords day cruise that was awesome. Great scenery. We saw humpbacks, orcas, stellar sea lions, sea otters, puffins, etc.. and the fjords and glaciers were nice to my camera. The one we took was called the Northwestern Glacier cruise I think. They have about 4 different trips. Some a few hours, some 9 (ours was 9 I think). Very highly recommend it. We went kayaking with Sunny Cove Kayak Co. in Resurection Bay. That was nice and something most kids would enjoy for sure. We drove up to Soldotna and went on a one day trip on the Kenai River with Jimmie Jack Charters. Nice outfit and we had a good trip. There are some places near Seward you could hike into lakes and fish some for grayling. Or just hike to hike. Lower Paradise lake and Lost lake stand in my mind. They are just north of Seward. Exit glacier is just a few miles away and is worth checking out. Mitch Seavey (former Iditarod Champ) has a kennel near Seward that gives you a tour of the dogs/kennel and takes you on a dog pulled buggy ride. Called Ididaride (or similar). My wife took her mom and did that while I was on the Kenai. She said it was cool and if your kid likes dogs, this would be a nice way to spend a few hours. Like $60/person or so. If you fly fish, get a book "Flyfishers Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It is great and breaks the state into sections and talks in great detail about rivers and how to get to them. There is of course a whole chapter on the Kenai Penninsula. Great book. Off the top of my head is Resurection Creek/River that is accessed in Hope (soon as you get on the penninsula), Quartz Creek, and then Lost Lake and Paradise Lakes. Those are all areas I will check out on my next trip near Seward. Good fishing for dollies/pinks in Resurection River from what I recall. I would suggest getting that book if you like to fish. You will be near some prime waters but if you limit all your time to Seward itself, you will be missing the boat so to speak. You could take a half day trip here and there and see a lot that is not in Seward. As others mentioned, it will be crowded in Seward. You may very well want to plan some time away from town. A hike to Lost Lake or Lower Paradise Lake may be the perfect escape. Should be very scenic and would allow you and your son to see something besides the tourist trap parts of the state. I would definately suggest getting a rental car, kenai fjords day cruise tickets, halibut charter, and room/cabin reservations NOW. I would not want to take my chances in those areas. We were there the last week of June and it was pretty much booked up. The Mt Marathon event may be worth checking out. May not. But it will be a zoo in Seward week of the fourth. I am sure of it. If I am not mistaken, we booked the Iditaride, Sunny Cove kayaking, and the northwestern fjord day cruise all at the same time. It was all through the Kenai Fjords Tours folks I think. Atleast the kayaking was booked at the same time as the day cruise. They might sell the Sea Life Center tickets as well. My wife took care of most but you could check into that. Feel free to pm with any specific question and if I can help you out, I would be happy to do so. Here is a link to some pics from our trip in Seward. When it opens, click "view slideshow" in upper right hand side of page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603729356641/

A few other links that may be of interest.

http://www.alaskastock.com/resultsfr...ise%20lake

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D1%26hl%3Den (good pics)

http://www.sunnycove.com/

http://www.kenaifjords.com/733.cfm

http://www.jimmiejackfishing.com/

http://www.ididaride.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'll second the recommendation for the Crackerjack. In 2006 my father and I spent four days on that boat and Capt. Nik Ranta is a first rate professional. In fact we'll be coming back to AK in August for 4 more days of fishing fun. I can't wait. If you want to get on that boat though call TODAY to book it. They fill up fast and early.

Appreciate all the information. My wife has been checking it out for our trip. The pictures are great. So far we have the flights, a full day halibut and cod trip, a full day salmon trip, car rental and a place to stay. She is putting together some glacier hikes, and sight seeing hikes, out of town sights such as Girdwood, Whittier, and Anchorage. Anything else that is an absolutely must that we may have missed feel free to express it. Thanks for all the input on my plea for fishing charters and what to do. My wife has told our three sons that they could plan any trip they would like to do with me (dad). We gave out 30 year old son first choice and this is what he chose. I am the one who is reaping the benefits and of their choices and look forward to our time together. Fishing Kid

Trout Fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can afford it I would take a trip to SW Alaska and do some fishing. There is not a better place on earth. But, cheap it aint.

Default Tram at alyeska

I dont think it is worth the time or money unless it is a blue bird day. Other wise take your time and enjoy the sights and sounds around turnagain arm and girdwood. On the tram you go up. Take some pics, come down. Just my opinion
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Also there is a "wildlife rescue" center south of girdwood. You'd pass it when you were coming from Seward to Girdwood. It is located in Portage. The animals are either hurt or to tame to release. They ask a "donation" of about 10 bucks now.

Anyway it is an easy way to see Bear, Moose, buffalo (wood buffalo), elk, foxes, porcupines, all sorts of stuff. You can get some neat photo opps there. In the end it's still a type of zoo, but hey if you don't see bears in Seward or while fishing it is worth it.