Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early halibut

Default early halibut

Does anyone head out in April for halibut?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

As long as the weather holds, I will be over in Icy Straight trying it out then. Could be crap on the water though.

Default Early halibut

I have fished Deep Creek and Kachemak the last week of April a couple of years and have done alright. Nothing big and the hook-ups were a bit slower than late May and June but it was fishing!!! And it was good.

Halibut in k-bay all winter.Usually pick up a few on the troll.Come ON february.

I went in March once, it was pretty good
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I went out of Seward the first week of May, 4 of us walked away with a total of 160 lbs in fillets.

I have done okay first week of May, thinking I am going to make a trip out in April this spring as well. Almost time to SCRATCH the ITCH!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have gone in the first week of may and done ok.

I might try end of April. The itch has begun... Once the Sportsman show comes I will have to break out the boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Weather permiting there is some good fishing in April. I was looking through some pictures and saw two years ago on April 17th out of Seward we caught a nice limit of mixed size, the largest one was over 100lbs. Good luck
    Boatless

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

out of whittier we have limited out on smaller halibut in april but last year it seemed liek the fish moved in a little later in the year. not sure what the reason was but the early season was a bust for me. ill be out there again though im itching pretty good by april especially if the weather is nice.

Default April 15th

Was my earliest out of Whittier in Culross Passage. Just out shrimping and dinking around. Sunny and calm so anchored up and starting fishing. Couple rock fish then a 50#er and 25#er. That was all for the butt. But I was surprised, wasn't really exptecting butt. Ended up with a nice assortment of seafood though. This year I need to focus more on PWS for halibut. But Homer is pretty much a guarantee and we always head there if we looking just for butts. It won't be long.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    This year I need to focus more on PWS for halibut. But Homer is pretty much a guarantee and we always head there if we looking just for butts. It won't be long.

I'm the same way... If I want halibut I will drive to homer. Whitter is tough place to find consistent halibut spots.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

you just have to get further out in the sound toward the southern Islands and you'll find all of halibut you want. Don't be afraid to fish the offshore reefs (6-10 miles) on the gulf side.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    you just have to get further out in the sound toward the southern Islands and you'll find all of halibut you want. Don't be afraid to fish the offshore reefs (6-10 miles) on the gulf side.

Montegue is along way to go to fish the reef every weekend. also Allot of gas money to get there
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Same Story in SE

You can catch the odd halibut all Winter long in northern SE - you just have to dink around and try a few spots. Like most situations - if you can find a spot with good signs of feed and the right kind of bottom (and preferably in a defined trench or at the bottom of an incline) you can catch the flat guys. Fresh herring will also add to your success. I doubt I will be trying any time before Tax Day, but when I first get out there again I will try some places in 300 - 350 feet of water and see what happens.

JKD,

Might you want to hook a fellow juneauite with a decent winter halibut hole? Do they pretty much remain the same around here, just have to go deeper?

Erich

I told someone last year that I usually fish 250 - 300 for halibut in PWS and they told me I was fishing two deep and should try 75 - 200 feet. Anyone else have any experiance at that depth in PWS?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I told someone last year that I usually fish 250 - 300 for halibut in PWS and they told me I was fishing two deep and should try 75 - 200 feet. Anyone else have any experiance at that depth in PWS?
    I have caught some there in 60 feet and other times in 300. The 60 feet spot is a hit or miss. DMAN you know where this spot is..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Structure

I usually fish the structure or channels where water flows fast during the tide changes. My shallowest hotspot is 150-200. Another is about 100 in a fast channel. Mostly, I fish 250-300 anywhere else.

Some of the biggest fish by the charters out of Valdez have caught their biggest in less than 100 though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i hear alot of mixed info on depth in PWS. ive heard of guys that dont fish anything less than 300 feet and do well and i know a guy that fishes a channel in 90 feet and catches his share of fish. i personally fish an area that produces lots of smaller halibut and the occasional big flattie in about 120 FOW. i can pretty much garantee action everytime i go out theres just lots of small fish. last year i punched into the gulf a ways and found some good ling cod holes but no halibut. im sure they are around there and i just need to narrow it down. thinking of changing my whole gameplan this year though and trying something different. still a distance game though. im anywhere from 70 to 100 miles out of whittier when i go out. may seem a long ways but getting there and seeing the sites is half the fun for me. im too busy in the summers to go every weekend anyway so i make the big weekends count out there. the fourth of july weekend can produces 2 day limits of halibut, lings, black bass, and stop by main bay and limit out on reds with 5 family members aboard is well worth the travel time in PWS. not saying i do that everytime i go out but the rewards can be tremendous at certain times of the year and i learn more everytime i go out. gonna have to get some shrimp pots as well to add another color to the bounty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast