Thread: V800 SWT exploding gas tanks

Default V800 SWT exploding gas tanks

Recall: 2007328 BOMBARDIER Date: Oct 10, 2007 Vehicles: 1,155

On certain snowmobiles, the fuel tank may crack, allowing fuel and or fuel vapour to leak. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a vehicle fire causing property damage and/or personal injury

Some startling news out off Newfoundland & Labrador
    http://oksociety2.bravejournal.com/
    A man from Rigolet was hurt yesterday morning when his skidoo exploded while he was operating it.

Corporal Roy Chaulk is an RCMP member at the Rigolet detachment.

He says the man was seriously hurt, received burns to one leg right arm, and part of his face and had to be medivaced to Goose Bay Hospital.

Cpl. Chaulk says it happened again this morning.

This time the man was inside the house for fifteen minutes while warming up his ski-doo when his snowmobile exploded.

He says the two incidents are under investigation.

The type of skidoos in question are the 4TEC V-800 Bombardier.

And he advises that whoever has this type of skidoo to contact the supplier or agency.

Default Yikes!!!

This cant be good.

Good thing about it, just take it to any dealer for free service. Had 3 recalls on my sled after I bought it used. No problems, got her fixed.

It seems that the recall was ONLY FOR SOME models sold in the U.S. For some reason or another they seemed to have missed we guys in Canada. Bad move on their part i think?
    Last edited by suv 550; 01-24-2008 at 03:44. Reason: clarifying

Default here's the real skinny on this, no 4 strokes

Hazard: The snowmobiles’ fuel tanks can crack allowing liquid fuel and fuel vapor to leak, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers. In addition, a problem with the throttle cable can lead to loss of speed control, posing a crash hazard.
    Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
    Description: Ski-Doo Model Year 2008 MXZ Adrenaline 800R, MXZ X 800R, MXZ TNT 500SS, MXZ Trail 500SS, Summit Everest 154 800R snowmobiles are included in this recall. The model name is located on the side panels. They were sold in black/yellow, yellow, or black/slate

Default "nice" photo of a burnt out V800 SWT and a very lucky man

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...-labrador.html

Bombardier probes 2 snow-machine explosions in Labrador

Last Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2008 | 11:02 AM ET

CBC News

Bombardier Recreational Products is investigating why two of its snow machines exploded in a small Labrador community this week, burning a man in one incident.

Sonny Williams was on his Bombardier snowmobile when it exploded earlier this week.

(Courtesy of Sonny Williams)
    "These are the first incidents that we [have heard] of this kind," said Johanne Denault, manager of communications with Bombardier Recreational Products.
    "We will be doing an investigation, but in the meantime, we don't have any other problems, to say that there is danger."
    The two Bombardier machines, both Skandic Super Wide models, exploded within two days earlier this week.
    Continue Article
    Last edited by suv 550; 01-24-2008 at 15:38. Reason: Insert link

Default 800 swt NOT recalled YET

quote:

V800 SWT exploding gas tanks
    Recall: 2007328 BOMBARDIER Date: Oct 10, 2007 Vehicles: 1,155

On certain snowmobiles, the fuel tank may crack, allowing fuel and or fuel vapour to leak. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a vehicle fire causing property damage and/or personal injury

this recall does not include the 800 swt. i run a 07 and a 08 800 swt, and i let them idle for 10 minutes up to a half hour, and i have no problem running these machines. the recall mentioned is for different models, that simple.
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade suv550, but just want people to know what the recall is for, thats all. If skidoo thinks there should be one for the 800, then i'll take mine in. As far as sitting on a sled and have the fuel tank go BOOM, not fun

Quote Originally Posted by yetnaman37 View Post
    quote:

V800 SWT exploding gas tanks Recall: 2007328 BOMBARDIER Date: Oct 10, 2007 Vehicles: 1,155

this recall does not include the 800 swt. i run a 07 and a 08 800 swt, and i let them idle for 10 minutes up to a half hour, and i have no problem running these machines. the recall mentioned is for different models, that simple.
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade suv550, but just want people to know what the recall is for, thats all. If skidoo thinks there should be one for the 800, then i'll take mine in. As far as sitting on a sled and have the fuel tank go BOOM, not fun
    I'm not trying to deter anyone from driving their machines yetnaman. I'm just trying to inform of the possibility of a defect in the V800 SWT's. Until BRP and Canadian Department of Transport finishes their investigation. I think every snowmobiler should be informed of this because If there is a defect all who drives these machines are at risk. Is it worth taking a chance on your life or the life of your family???
    I have a "07 V800 SWT also and often my young son rides in front of me. I'm sure lots of others do this also!!!!!
    I am actually surprised that BRP isn't moving any faster on this!!

The '05 600 TUV, '05 V1000 TUV, '07-'08 V800 TUV, and '07-'08 V800 SWT's all have the same fuel tank. There are three possibilities here. 1:There was an outside force causing this problem. 2:The manufacturer of the tanks had a bad batch this year and don't know it. 3:The vent hose at the top of the tank is not connected and the fuel is spurting out and catching on fire. This happened to my machine. I smelled gas a couple times early into a trip and found the vent line and connected it. I don't know if it was this way from the factory or I pulled it off while doing something else, but I have seen worse things come off the assembly line over the years. The 4 stroke makes the situation worse since the exhaust on those motors often run red hot. All the best to those injured and hope they find out what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    The '05 600 TUV, '05 V1000 TUV, '07-'08 V800 TUV, and '07-'08 V800 SWT's all have the same fuel tank. There are three possibilities here. 1:There was an outside force causing this problem. 2:The manufacturer of the tanks had a bad batch this year and don't know it. 3:The vent hose at the top of the tank is not connected and the fuel is spurting out and catching on fire. This happened to my machine. I smelled gas a couple times early into a trip and found the vent line and connected it. I don't know if it was this way from the factory or I pulled it off while doing something else, but I have seen worse things come off the assembly line over the years. The 4 stroke makes the situation worse since the exhaust on those motors often run red hot. All the best to those injured and hope they find out what happened.
    Thanks for the heads up on the fuel vent hose, in the meanwhile this is something we can check while waiting for BRP

Investigation still ongoing about those SWT's blowing up, all kinds of rumours but nothing official, Expect a bulletin from BRP soon, I well post as soon as i get some info.

Default Tanks

heres morehttp://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197418

I'm taking mine to the shop tomorrow. Time for it's first check-up anyway.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Media Advisory - Important Snowmobile Safety Information

OTTAWA, Feb. 29 /CNW Telbec/ - Transport Canada and snowmobilemanufacturer, BRP, of Valcourt, Qu&#233;bec are actively investigating threeincidents of explosions followed by fires involving the fuel system on 2007and 2008 Skandic SWT V-800 and Expedition SUV SDI 600 snowmobiles. One of thevehicles has been retrieved and brought to Transport Canada's facilities inOttawa for examination. These incidents have taken place in the area ofRigolet, Labrador, in extreme cold temperatures (below -29degreesC). Noreports of any such incidences have been reported from any other region inCanada. Recommendation for Consumer Action: << - In the interest of safety Transport Canada recommends that these types of vehicles located in the Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Rigolet area be parked and not started until there is an adequate understanding of the cause of these fires/explosions. - If consumers have experienced a fire or explosion event with your snowmobile, it is requested that you contact Transport Canada's office of defect investigations as soon as possible at 1-800-333-0510. - Transport Canada will keep Canadians advised on any additional recommendations or determinations based on our investigation. >>For further information: Media Relations, (613) 993-0055

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../29/c7825.html
    Last edited by suv 550; 03-01-2008 at 09:03. Reason: Insert link

Some photos from the latest incident feb. 29th that prompted Transport Canada to "act"
    "There was another ski doo that exploded here in Rigolet yesterday morning...it was my father's 2008 Skandic SUV 600 H.O. SDI.
    My father went out Friday morning and started up his SUV, let her warm up for a while and drove about a half a KM to a friend's house to check on it. He left her idling while he ran in the house and while in there he heard a loud explosion and looked out to see flames shooting out the side of his gas tank. He and another person close by grabbed shovels and put the flames out by shoveling snow on top. We called the RCMP and they came and took the ski-doo and placed it in their garage. My father contacted Notre Dame Agencies and Bombardier and informed them of the explosion.

Here are some links to the pictures of my father's SUV taken in the policeman's garage. As you can see, the internal gas gauge was blown out the right side of the gas tank, the leather of the seat was peeled back from the explosion (one piece was found 75-80 feet away), one of the hinges on the seat was broken, and the tank covering was cracked in two. I'm just glad my father wasn't on the machine when it exploded and that he wasn't hurt!"

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/230286...169f4d2.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3225/230286...020e17b.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2406/230286...681a2ed.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2235/230286...10eaede.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/230286...5e9d84d.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/230207...da04584.jpg?v=0

Countrywide warning issued after Skandic snowmobiles explode

Last Updated: Monday, March 3, 2008 | 6:55 PM NT

CBC News

Transport Canada is expanding a safety advisory on two Bombardier snowmobiles to all of Canada following a series of fires and explosions.

The gas tank on Tom Flowers's snowmobile blew apart on Friday.
    (RCMP)
    Last week, the department advised people in Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Rigolet in Labrador not to use two models of Skandic Skidoos, after the series of fires and explosions prompted a federal investigation.
    The advisory has since been extended to the rest of Canada.
    Transport Canada said consumers should not use Ski-Doo Skandic SWT or SUV sleds from the 2007 and 2008 production years.
    Continue Article

"In the interest of safety, we recommend that these types of vehicles … be parked and not started until there is an adequate understanding of the cause of these fires and explosions," said Maryse Durette, a communications manager with Transport Canada.
    The third explosion in Rigolet in less than two months was reported Friday.
    Resident Tom Flowers left his machine idling Friday morning when he visited a friend's house. He told CBC News that just as he was about to leave, he heard a loud noise.
    "I heard an explosion — or a big bang, anyway — and I looked out the window, and I could see flames coming out from around my tank area on my Ski-Doo," he said.

This snowmobile was one of two that exploded in Rigolet in January.
    (Courtesy of Sonny Williams)
    Flowers used snow to put out the fire, and then saw that his gas tank had blown apart.
    Back-to-back explosions of similar Ski-Doo machines, manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP), were reported in Rigolet in January.
    Similar problems have been reported with the vehicles in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
    Transport Canada's advisory says there have been no other complaints about the machines from the rest of Canada, but Durette told CBC News since the first advisory was issued, it has received several calls.
    Transport Canada technicians are currently examining one of the machines at a lab in Ottawa.

For immediate release
    April 04, 2008
    Voluntary Recall – Important Snowmobile Safety Update

Transport Canada would like to inform Canadians that Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) of Valcourt, Québec has issued a Notice of Defect, in accordance with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BRP is conducting a voluntary safety recall on the following Ski-Doo models:
    • Expedition TUV 600 HO SDI - 2005 (Model Number: FB5A & FB5B)
    • Skandic SWT V-800 Yellow - 2007 (Model Number: FP7B)
    • Skandic SWT V-800 Yellow - 2008 (Model Number: LS8B)
    • Skandic SUV 600HO SDI Black - 2008 (Model Number: B8H)
    This voluntary recall is the result of an ongoing investigation conducted by Transport Canada and BRP regarding four incidents of explosions in Rigolet, Labrador.
    Investigation:
    Following reports of the first two explosions, which occurred on January 21 and 22, 2008, Transport Canada opened a defect investigation and arranged, in collaboration with BRP, to have two of the affected snowmobiles transported from Rigolet to Transport Canada's facilities in Ottawa. The vehicles were inspected by Transport Canada's Office of Defect Investigations, BRP engineering staff and an independent expert. In addition, numerous fuel analyses and other engineering tests were conducted, including consultations with experts in highly technical specialty fields.
    After extensive investigative work, Transport Canada, in conjunction with BRP, has determined that under extremely cold and dry weather (temperature colder than -30ºC and less than 50% relative humidity), electrostatic charges can accumulate on components within the fuel tank when the engine is left idling. At a certain level of electrostatic build-up, a discharge can suddenly occur, sparking in the vapor space volume of the partially filled fuel tank, igniting a combustible mixture of gasoline and air and therefore, causing an explosion.
    Normally the air/fuel ratio of the vapor space of a fuel tank is overly rich in fuel and does not support combustion. With a low level of fuel in the tank, the vapor space is much larger and richer in oxygen thereby creating improved conditions to support combustion.
    In the above-mentioned cases, the fuel came from the same single bulk storage tank. The storage time between the moment it left the refinery and the time it was used, in the community of Rigolet, exceeded eight months. This lengthy storage period had the effect of lowering the Vapor Pressure of the fuel and, therefore, allowing the vapor space mixture in the fuel reservoir to reach the ignitable air/fuel ratio range.
    Recommendation for Consumer Action:
    Transport Canada urges owners of these snowmobiles to contact a BRP dealer and not use their snowmobile until the fuel filter assembly has been replaced with a new assembly in which the hoses and quick connectors feature components that have a higher electric conductivity.
    For further information, contact BRP's toll free number at 1-888-638-5397 between 8:00 and 18:00 ET.
    BRP is voluntarily sending a safety recall notice to dealers and owners of record advising that customers should contact their BRP dealer to have the fuel filter assembly replaced and should not use their snowmobile in the meantime. The same information is also available at: www.ski-doo.com/en-CA/Owner.Center/Recall.Information.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/adviso.../08-ma008e.htm