Thread: A new reamer came in the mail .....

Default A new reamer came in the mail .....

...yesterday.

A package from Dave Manson of Loon Lake Precision has in it a reamer marked with my name and a number. This is the soon to be famous 411 caliber CQB (Close Quarters Bear gun). My plan is to build this on an old Sears & Roebuck, J.C. Higgins, FN Mauser action into a light and handy, agile and extremely portable, get down and wallow in the mud, the blood and the bear scat kind of rifle. I also have a quote in hand from Redding to make a set of dies for this beast for about $160, better than some probably because I've had some made on this basic case before.

The cartridge case for this is the 376 Steyr case. Chosen because it seems to fit in the Mauser M98 action so well with little modification.
    Recent discussions with Jim Brockman leads me to think he may well be the builder. I've seen his rifles before though I've never commissioned him to build one for me. I have a few others to check with before the final decision but he's definately on the list.

It will be stocked in a lovelty OD green McMillan fiberglass stock, and be equipped with good ghost ring sights and possibly a scout type scope.

The 40 caliber was chosen for the brute power it can deliver from a relatively small package, both gun and cartridge. A 416 might be a better choice from a logistics stand point but the 411 bullet is available and is becoming increasingly more so. Hornady has begun loading the 450/400 Nitro Express ammo and that will generate new .411" bullets. Woodleigh also still has a full compliment of them as well as Kodiak Bullets of Juneau. Another reason for the .411" bore was keeping with the most resilient and trouble free operation of the cartridge/gun combo. The improved 376 Steyr case will have ample shoulder to headspace on and maintain the highest degree of reliability and ease of hand loading ammo. Making ammo will consist of necking up the 376 Steyr case to .411" and changing the shoulder angle ever so slightly. The case is then ready to fireform in the new 411 chamber. This will reduce the taper of the case, increase the diameter at the shoulder and change the shoulder angle to give the best possible headspace. The neck will be a full .400" in length to maintain a good grip on bullets to withstand the rigors of recoil and magazine bashing.

The ballistics of this little number will be to duplicate the famous 450/400 N.E. ballistics. It will actually exceed that and at less pressure than the 30-06. At about 55,000 psi it will launch 400 grains of Woodleigh softpoint to about 2250 fps. Exceeding the 405 Winchester ballistics by a full 100 grains of bullet weight. All of this from a meager 20" of barrel. Even big brown bears will quake at the sight of such a rig.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Neat project! Kinda like Lays potato chips for you, huh?

That is just to cool Murphy, I really like that. Wow, that will be nice.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Me thinks Jeff Cooper would like this rig!

Default New .411?

I like it already!
    Jack.

Murphy ole buddy,

keep up us informed of this new alder creeping boomer. with Kodiak bullets and Woodleigh-2 fine bullet makers this round of yours should be the "ticket" into the wilds.

with the Steyr being a "medium" action based cartridge the C.O.L. of any given loaded bullet under impact in the magazine should not be an issue with "impacted" tips in a M98. that is a plus.

411 CQB-sounds pretty good-better than some other fine names mentioned

intriguing!

Thanks guys.

I think I'll stamp the barrel 411 CQB. Thanks Grizz, I like that, too. I'm still kicking around the idea of the scout concept. I think that has merit. The gun could be made to line up the iron sights and still be in good alignment with the low mount scout scope. It must shoulder quickly and come to the eye very quick. I visability, quick access sights are a must. The low power scope would make hits at the limit of reasonable range much more precise and compensate for old eyes. A wide aperature "Ghost Ring" type of sight set up will provide the best in rugged, quick access aiming system. Maybe the scout concept would be the best way to go.

Potato chips: I counted up last night and this will make 67 custom cartridges I have designed. Eat your heart out Ken Howell. I could never be what he is to this shooting fraternity. Some of my calibers actually are useful and have merit. Some are ....well sort of funny. Some of them have become a factory round, sort of. My 450 Thumper was reincarnated as the 458 American, the 30 (and 358 and 411) on the 307/356 case have become the 308 Marlin with a slight length change. My 6.5-308 (or Jim Charmichael's) became the 260 Remington. My 358 Nukalpiaq on the 375 Ruger case may become something some day. My 338 WSM has become the 338 Alaska Express. I made a 375 on the 444 Marlin case, a 375 on the 338 Win case, and a 375 on the 458 Lott case and a 375 on the 9.3x64 case, nobody cared. And this one is number four on the 376 Steyr case.

This must be a hobby, it cost money and it's fun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default .375-.338

I read something about the .375 on the .338 case and was quite interested in it. I didn't know it was your idea. I gave some thought to having one made up on an old model Ruger action that I have. Now I know who to contact if I decide to do it. You have some great ideas, Murphy. I noted some other good possibilities in reading your post. I suspect your .411 CQB would also be a good one for my Ruger action. It would far surpass my .405 Win., but of course I have that for sentimental reasons and would never dump it. The .411 CQB is interesting to me. A couple of concerns I have are the continued availability of cases and the availability of bullets, but it is still intrigueing. I know the .376 Steyr hasn't caught on in the USA. How is it doing in the rest of the world, do you know?

One idea I have toyed with is a .416 on the .375 RUM case. That might be a bit better balanced than the .416 Weatherby, and the cases would be less expensive. What a bear basher!! My son keeps talking about taking me to Africa to hunt. I can see the .411 CQB and the .416 RUM having real possibilities over there. Especially since Cape Buffalo are hunted at moderate range. I have the old .458, but that is already established as a heavy duty thumper, at least for me. But I do have a special place in my heart for wildcats.......... I used to be rather fond of P.O. Ackley's toys.

Please keep us informed of the cartridge development and performance on your new creation!
    Jack.