Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hilleberg Allak Tent

Default New Hilleberg Allak Tent

Looks like a light, free standing 4 season bomber tent. Easy to pitch in a storm and versatile. A little smaller and lighter than the Staika.

http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...%2C/Detail.bok

Download the instructions pdf for some good info.

Also, moontrail.com has some good pics.

http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg-allak.php
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Looks awesome , right up until I saw the price tag....grin

There are actually 3 new models this year.

http://www.hilleberg.se/nyheter%202008-e.htm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Looks awesome , right up until I saw the price tag....grin
    Yup, but the Hilleberg Pro Deal will help ease that pain though Besides, when your on top of the mountain 2 days from the truck and it's raining and/or snowing and blowing 75 that 500 bucks sitting in the bank won't be doing any good!

I sent/gave my TNF tent back to my buddie who had given it to me so I'll be buying a new mountain tent this year. I definitely want a 4 season bomber tent but don't want to go over about 7lbs max, ideally 6. The Allak is 6.6lbs with all the stakes, guy lines and stuff sacks. That's doable for 2 guys on a long walk in in order to have a bomber tent. I liked the Staika but it's a little over 8 lbs. I also like the Nallos but really want a free standing tent. The Allak just may be the one.

These Hillebergs with the inner tent connected to the outer tent and the poles being in the outer tent look like the hot setup to me. It all goes up at once. Nice and easy and the inner tent stays dry.
    Last edited by Snyd; 01-23-2008 at 12:52.

Snyd, I know Hilleberg made 2 new tents, the Allak and the Soulo, what is the 3rd model of which you speak? I am also looking for a new tent for mountain hunting and the Allak just might be the one, even with that big price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Snyd, I know Hilleberg made 2 new tents, the Allak and the Soulo, what is the 3rd model of which you speak? I am also looking for a new tent for mountain hunting and the Allak just might be the one, even with that big price tag.
    The Kaitum 3

http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...son/Detail.bok

Dang, thats a big and roomy tent but infortunately not freestanding. I see their clearing out the Muddus too, thats classic old design and light but again, not freestanding, too bad. Thanks Snyd.

Default Dang

I wish they would have had that one last year when I got my Kaitum. I still like my Kaitum, but the only thing keeping me from getting one of their free standing tents last year was the small single vestibule. This new one has a vestibule on each side, plenty of room to store your gear. The only concern is how well it ventilates vs. the tunnel tent designs.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Hilleberg on Ebay

There's a couple of Hilleberg tents on Ebay up for bid and sell right now, seems like a pretty good deal, I believe these are new tents, if anyone is looking for one. They have the Keron 2 and the all-season Akto....CK

Well Perry now you gone and done it. I have been looking and comparing the Hilleberg and Bibler tents all day and IMO the one I like best so far is the Nallo 3 GT. For the 6lbs or so that it weighs you got big vestibules on each end as well as a little living space to ride out bad weather. How good is that pro deal Perry ....grin

Waiting on a Nallo 2 to arrive and looking forward to getting it pitched.

Well Perry now you gone and done it. I have been looking and comparing the Hilleberg and Bibler tents all day and IMO the one I like best so far is the Nallo 3 GT. For the 6lbs or so that it weighs you got big vestibules on each end as well as a little living space to ride out bad weather. How good is that pro deal Perry ....grin
    Are sure you mean the Nallo 3 GT? It only has the one big vestibule. That's what the GT is. The new Kaitum 3 has 2 vestibules. Pretty long and wide though.

Ya, I'm gonna buy a Hilleberg this year and had been leaning toward the Nallo 3 GT as a matter of fact. But, I'm not sure I want a tent that's not free standing. The Staika is free standing but over 8 lbs and now they came out with the Allak which is a lighter version at 6lb 6ozs including guylines, pegs, etc. On our long DCUA walkin a couple years ago we got into some spots a couple times and one time for sure I know we would not have been able to pitch a long tunnel tent, we were barely able to fit the free standing tnf there. And that time man we needed to pitch the tent bad! As it was there was no room to stake out the vestibule. We just threw it up in the dark and crawled in soaking wet after sloshing down Bradford creek with heavy packs in the rain all day. We just prayed the creek wouldn't rise that night and wash us down to the Gerstle! The other time maybe we could have pitched a tunnel but it would have taken some doing with the way the ground was, a big soft sponge.

I sure wish there were somewhere here local to see these tents. There is a guy here who lives in northpole who has a Nallo GT and he said I could check it out sometime.

At this point though, I think I'm leaning towards the free standing Allak.

Here's a video of a guy setting up a Hilleberg Kaitum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpojVCi6D_c

Default Katium

I bought the Katium this past summer. Very impressed. It held up to some very impressive winds, even with a broken center pole (long story but definitely my fault and not the tent's). The pole was easily splinted and the tent held up for a long night of sustained 50 to 60 mph wind with higher gusts and also several more nights of regular use. Sent back to Hilleberg and they promptly repaired the tent and replaced the pole for no charge.

The part that made it just a minor obstacle and didn't end the goat hunt early was this....The jagged pole end ripped through the pole sleeve (which didn't tear anymore after that). Since the pole sleeve is on the outside of the rain fly, the tear didn't affect the waterproof ingetrity of the tent. Great tent design.

Very easy to set up as well. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again and am currently interested in another model for solo hunts and hiking.

Yeah Perry. look at this picture, it has the big vestibule in view.

http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg-nallo-gt.php

Ya, I have been all over that moontrail website. It's a great place to look at tents. I sure do like the looks of those Nallo GT's. The Nallo 3 being 12 inches wider that the 2 and 14 inches wider that the Allak is very appealing. And still only 6 lbs. For me it's down to "tunnel vs free standing"

bairdi, what is your opinion of a tunnel versus free standing? I have never owned a tunnel. I think Blackfoot had an issue with his also in high wind because he didn't guy it down properly. Bent a pole I think. I understand with tunnels you need to pay a little more attention to wind direction when you pitch them but if you guy them out properly they are bomber

I hear ya on the freestanding idea, it definately is easier for setting up in not so good ground for staking but I had a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that never really gave me much trouble setting it up in some not so easy places. Always lots of rocks around or so it seems. Its kind of a toss up, but man it sure would be nice to have a little room to relax in, eat in, and just pass some time by if your pinned down in some bad weather, without sacrificing the heavier weight. I talked to the guys down at Barneys about em and they said the SOB's are indestructible with that Kerlon 1200 material being hard to even cut with a knife, and even more difficult to tear once its cut. I am with you on the bigger Nallo 3 GT for a whole 7 oz you get a bit more living space. Total weight is 6lb 3 oz and it appears quite liveable for a decent stay too.

I hear ya on the freestanding idea, it definately is easier for setting up in not so good ground for staking but I had a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that never really gave me much trouble setting it up in some not so easy places. Always lots of rocks around or so it seems. Its kind of a toss up, but man it sure would be nice to have a little room to relax in, eat in, and just pass some time by if your pinned down in some bad weather, without sacrificing the heavier weight. I talked to the guys down at Barneys about em and they said the SOB's are indestructible with that Kerlon 1200 material being hard to even cut with a knife, and even more difficult to tear once its cut. I am with you on the bigger Nallo 3 GT for a whole 7 oz you get a bit more living space. Total weight is 6lb 3 oz and it appears quite liveable for a decent stay too.
    That's good to hear about the non-freestanding tent you had. And ditto on the Nallo 3 GT. I bet that thing feels like a mansion inside. Plus it's cheaper than the Allak!

I was listening to a pod cast interview with the daughter of Hilleberg. I think she runs the company now. They had that Kerlon fabric specially designed in the early 70's. It is has a triple coating of 100% silicone.

Here's the link to the blog with the podcast

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/

Snyd- Yes guying out the tent properly is a very important part of it's bomberness. Wind direction is important to be aware of when orienting the tent, but no more so than if you were using a freestanding tent. As far as the tunnel vs freestanding, I don't see the tunnel being a handicap. As long as you can drive a stake in or get heavy rocks as anchors you are good to go. I like the different set up/take down options that are possible with the tent. When it is raining it is nice to be able to set up the rainfly and crawl inside and then attach the foot print and inner tent. Keeps everything alot drier.

Default hilleberg is the best

I've been in 5 different Hilleberg models, free standing and not. They are all awesome. As far as I'm concerned they're the best tent made. Now if I could only figure out how to get Petra to come up here and go camping with me......
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast