Thread: Kenai in early Sept.

Default Kenai in early Sept.

My brother, uncle and I are renting an RV to fish the Kenai in the first week of September. We would like to find a few days of less pressured fishing. We are thinking of fishing some areas outside of the Kenai River. We are looking at flying a float plane to a remote river as well as driving to fish the Russian River for a day. Any suggestions for spots to hit up by RV or float plane?

It is not Kenai and it would help to have 2 vehicles but a float trip down the Little Su could be fun. From Huston to Pt. MaKensey (sp) takes 2 days and you will probably only see a few people on the middle of the river with you. The float is 42 miles and about 30 of them you will not see anyone or only other floaters. It takes about 14 hours on the water to make the trip.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default September silvers

I am thinking that wherever you find a good silver run that is easily accessible, you will find fishing companions or bank buddies or whatever you want to call other folks. Many of the local air charter services will take a fair bit of folks to the easily accessible streams.

That being said, September is a good time because of the significantly lowered pressure (except for the middle/upper Kenai that is). I have fished the lower Kenai in September and had a very pleasurable experience, easily avoiding the crowds.

Certainly if money is not a factor, you can pay a charter service to take you where virtually no man has gone before. But that probably is not necessary.

There are options for fishing silvers, where you can get away from the majority of the pressure. Take a look at the book the Roadside Angler (available on this site's bookstore) and others for some great ideas.

Sure, Centennial and Swiftwater parks in Soldotna will have some pressure, as will Cunningham park in Kenai. But consider Soldotna Creek park or Morgan's Landing or other areas that are a bit more out of the way. Also consider the Kasilof River. You can hike up from the boat launch at the bridge about 1/2 to 1 mile and have some wonderful silver fishing (though it may be slowing down by the first week of September).

If you want to fly to the West side, there are a few areas where the locals go and the charters typically don't: For example upriver on the Kuskatan...there are a few spots to land either on wheels or floats. Silver Salmon creek is another option.

You might also want to consider the Kvichak river. Not only will the silvers be in, but the rainbow fishing will be extraordinary!!! Give George Riddle from the Blueberry Island Lodge a call for a DIY lodge experience in Bristol Bay. This is an excellent option because with the stay at the lodge you also get the use of a boat! You will want to book very soon with George however, because that is prime time for that area.

Hope that helps...

Good luck

Default Thanks

Thanks for the pointers. We are definitely aiming to target Silvers during the trip. I figure crowds will be part of that adventure. Secluded rainbow fishing is on the menu as well. I will continue to research your suggested areas.

Alaskanfishguides, does your outfit rent drift boats or fishing rafts? I didn't see boat rentals listed on your website. We have been floating Colorado rivers for a number of years on our own boat. We would love to do some floats during our trip. We were planing on renting a second vehicle with our RV to coordinate shuttles.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

-Kristian

For the Little Su River all you need is a good canoe. The other rivers might need something a little bigger.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Boat rentals

You're welcome on the suggestions. You can shoot me a pm or em if you would like more specific suggestions.

I am sorry to say that I don't rent boats.

There are a few outfits in Anchorage that rent rafts... one in particular: http://www.alaskaraftandkayak.com

Good luck,