Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Defenders of Wildlife

  1. #1
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Thumbs down Defenders of Wildlife

    Hey everyone,

    I tried to go to the "Defenders" website and I filled out my letter in opposition to legislation to stop ariel wolf hunting as they put it. When I clicked on the send button here I got that I was "not eligible" to send the message.

    I also responded to the ADN article.

    Please email them at:
    defenders@mail.defenders.org


    here is the letter I sent them email:

    I am a long life Alaskan. I believe this legislation is unconstitutional based on the fact that each state has a right to manage their own fish and game.

    I am also a subsistence hunter. If there are no moose or caribou, because bears and wolves have decimated the stock, then my family goes hungry.

    Before you pass un-needed legislation, I would ask that you fully understand the issues at had and visit the bush in Alaska. Understand what subsistence is and how it affects the people of Alaska. I must warn you that you will have to use an out house as we do not have running water as many in bush Alaska.

    If Defenders of Wildlife are "really" interested in these wolves, then I would like to see them offer the people of Alaska funds to capture and relocate these animals from their own funds. Otherwise I would say "no thank you Defenders" you do NOT represent the best interests of the people of Alaska.

    Furthermore the Alaska State Constitution guarantees my right to s "sustained yield."

    The Constitution of the State of Alaska
    Adopted by the Constitutional Convention February 5, 1956
    Ratified by the People of Alaska April 24, 1956
    Became Operative with the Formal Proclamation of Statehood January 3, 1959

    Article 8 - Natural Resources

    § 1. Statement of Policy

    It is the policy of the State to encourage the settlement of its land and the development of its resources by making them available for maximum use consistent with the public interest.

    § 2. General Authority

    The legislature shall provide for the utilization, development, and conservation of all natural resources belonging to the State, including land and waters, for the maximum benefit of its people.

    § 3. Common Use

    Wherever occurring in their natural state, fish, wildlife, and waters are reserved to the people for common use.

    § 4. Sustained Yield

    Fish, forests, wildlife, grasslands, and all other replenishable resources belonging to the State shall be utilized, developed, and maintained on the sustained yield principle, subject to preferences among beneficial uses.

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Message sent, Thanks for the address. Rog
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Riverfront Alaska
    Posts
    210

    Default

    You are best off writing to your representives then to this organization. They do not want to hear you nor care to. They are pro predator and only have their concern for their causes. Which unfortuately is not whether you can subsist or not.

    Quotes from FAQ on their website:

    Q: What is your stance on hunting and trapping?
    A: Defenders advocates policies which are in the best interests of all wildlife, by analyzing wildlife management programs to determine the appropriate response. We do not take a position for or against hunting. Defenders opposes all trapping that inflicts pain or causes injury, damages ecological systems, is non-selective, or is conducted for profit or for recreation.

    Q: Why don't you team up with other organizations that do the same or similar work, like World Wildlife Fund, and become one large organization?
    A: Defenders' main focus is restoring wolves to surviving former habitats in the lower 48 states and to prevent the extirpation of wolves in areas where they still exist. With the many threats to the environment, groups have been formed over the years to address other specific issues. We do work in coalitions with other environment groups on pressing threats to wildlife and habitat.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    413

    Default

    I wrote to the California legislator that proposed the bill. Don't think it will do any good since he is at odds with Don Young.

    But most important we need to turn out the vote to keep that ban off the books this coming november. We also need to spread the word here in Alaska about how it will affect the people of Alaska. Anchorage i9s the battleground, so many people in Anchorage have no clue as to what is going on in the rest of Alaska. They have the numbers there as well. The people of Anchorage will again be targeted by the Anits just like they did the last two times. They showed all those pictures of cute cuddly wolf pups, and the wolf being targeted by the helicopter. They even showed one being shot. What the public did not realize was that it was a dart they were seeing going from the gun to the wolf. The picture was cut off at impact so that the dart was not clearly seen, just a good trail for the eye to follow. They did not do a media blitz on the rest of the state, just Anchorage. The people here in Fairbanks don't even know what I am talking about when I mention the vidio clips showen of the wolf being shot, they never saw it here in Fairbanks.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Here's a link to the bill. The Defenders of Wildlife should be the least of your concerns. The politicians that are wanting to meddle with our rights are the problem.


    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.3663:

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Riverfront Alaska
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I wrote to the California legislator that proposed the bill. Don't think it will do any good since he is at odds with Don Young.

    But most important we need to turn out the vote to keep that ban off the books this coming november. We also need to spread the word here in Alaska about how it will affect the people of Alaska. Anchorage i9s the battleground, so many people in Anchorage have no clue as to what is going on in the rest of Alaska. They have the numbers there as well. The people of Anchorage will again be targeted by the Anits just like they did the last two times. They showed all those pictures of cute cuddly wolf pups, and the wolf being targeted by the helicopter. They even showed one being shot. What the public did not realize was that it was a dart they were seeing going from the gun to the wolf. The picture was cut off at impact so that the dart was not clearly seen, just a good trail for the eye to follow. They did not do a media blitz on the rest of the state, just Anchorage. The people here in Fairbanks don't even know what I am talking about when I mention the vidio clips showen of the wolf being shot, they never saw it here in Fairbanks.
    These anti's pull that sort of thing all the time. In Maine where they spent a million dollars on ads trying to stop the bear hunt in 2004 they used a video of an illegal hound hunting ring in Oregon, wasn't even Maine. Then they also showed a bear in a leg hold trap bawling it's head off. What they cut out of the video was that the bear had been shot before the commercila started and it was doing the death bawl. Then they cut away before the bear died. I knew the trapper who provided the tape and he was constantly in trouble with the games wardens. He even lost his hunting privledges in the state of Maine. But this was the type of infomation that they used.

    You have to call them out on it. Get on forums that do not have that many hunters or people that know much about the outdoors and expose them. Talk to people, because every vote counts. Show the facts, thats what we did in Maine and we beat the anti's. You have to inform the people that don't know.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    And here's a list of who you should be writing if you object to the bill.

    Members of the
    Committee on Natural Resources

    U.S. House of Representatives

    110th Congress

    1329 Longworth House Office Building
    (202) 225-6065 Fax: (202) 225-1931

    MR. NICK J. RAHALL, II, West Virginia, Chairman
    MR. DON YOUNG, Alaska, Ranking Republican Member

    (Ratio 27-22)


    Dale E. Kildee, Michigan
    Eni F.H. Faleomavaega, American Samoa
    Neil Abercrombie, Hawaii
    Solomon P. Ortiz, Texas
    Frank Pallone, Jr., New Jersey
    Donna M. Christensen, Virgin Islands
    Grace F. Napolitano, California
    Rush D. Holt, New Jersey
    Raúl M. Grijalva, Arizona
    Madeleine Z. Bordallo, Guam
    Jim Costa, California
    Dan Boren, Oklahoma
    John P. Sarbanes, Maryland
    George Miller, California
    Edward J. Markey, Massachusetts
    Peter A. DeFazio, Oregon
    Maurice D. Hinchey, New York
    Patrick J. Kennedy, Rhode Island
    Ron Kind, Wisconsin
    Lois Capps, California
    Jay Inslee, Washington
    Mark Udall, Colorado
    Joe Baca, California
    Hilda L. Solis, California
    Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, South Dakota
    Heath Shuler, North Carolina
    Jim Saxton, New Jersey
    Elton Gallegly, California
    John J. Duncan, Jr., Tennessee
    Wayne T. Gilchrest, Maryland
    Chris Cannon, Utah
    Thomas G. Tancredo, Colorado
    Jeff Flake, Arizona
    Stevan Pearce, New Mexico
    Henry E. Brown, Jr., South Carolina
    Luis G. Fortuño, Puerto Rico
    Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Washington
    Bobby Jindal, Louisiana
    Louie Gohmert, Texas
    Tom Cole, Oklahoma
    Rob Bishop, Utah
    Bill Shuster, Pennsylvania
    Dean Heller, Nevada
    Bill Sali, Idaho
    Doug Lamborn, Colorado
    Kevin McCarthy, California
    Mary Fallin, Oklahoma

  8. #8
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    maybe you should try eating bears and spend money on food instead of boat gas to go "subsistence" hunting. Just a thought.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  9. #9
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Akpm

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    maybe you should try eating bears and spend money on food instead of boat gas to go "subsistence" hunting. Just a thought.
    Again your lack of knowledge of the state is amazing. Not everyone in Alaska lives in Anchorage. Some people only own a boat as there are no roads where they live. Some people can only obtain their food by subsistence hunting and fishing. Have you ever bought food in Kaltag, Elim, Aniak, or a rural bush store?

    Why do you spend money on fishing trips when it would be cheaper to just go buy the fish at the store. Legitimate subsistence hunting and fishing is practiced out of necessity in many places. Flying from Juneau to Yakatat to go fishing seems to be the bigger waste of resources than boat gas to eat because you have no other way to do so.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  10. #10
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Again your lack of knowledge of the state is amazing. Not everyone in Alaska lives in Anchorage. Some people only own a boat as there are no roads where they live. Some people can only obtain their food by subsistence hunting and fishing.
    I wholly agree, Big Lake Alaska isn't one of them.


    Seriously do you think I'm an idiot? read any of my posts on subsistence in Alaska note how predator control is aimed at increasing "subsistence" hunting, aka taking moose and caribou from teir II to harvest status in unit 13 e and 16b the only areas where wolf harvest goals are regularrly met the "subsistence" demand far outstrips the carrying capacity of the area (especially in unit 13) because of their proximity to urban centers they draw a lot of people to hunt them from anchorage and the valley like AKBassKing under state law this is deemed subsistence hunting, under federal law its deemed sport hunting, I happen to agree with the federal law in this case....

    In case you haven't noticed I have lived in the bush the last 3 summers, I totally understand the nessisity of subsistence hunting in this state, and I would totally support predator control that actually helped increase subsistence harvest, aka harvest that people don't need to travel far from their homes to do (the federal law) however given currents state regulations predator control does nothing to increase the harvest of those who depend harvesting big game so i don't support it, and I don't think a person from big lake should be a subsistence hunter.

    As for me flying to yakutat to go sport fishing, guess what I don't even keep any of the fish, its sport not subsistence, I don't expect any subsistence rights to those fish (even though I could get them under state regulations) just as I don't expect subsistence rights anywhere else in the state because I don't need them.

    I think you are just like to insult me. Good old no personal attacks, unless they are aimed at liberals clause we got going here, from a moderator no less. Lame.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    and I don't think a person from big lake should be a subsistence hunter.
    Why not, Patrick? Because they have other options available, such as meat from the grocery store?

    I live in Eagle River - have my whole life. I was raised on a diet of moose, caribou, salmon, and halibut. I think that quite literally I ate beef or chicken 2-3 times/year max while growing up. I now have a wife and a kid on the way, and want to practice the same sort of lifestyle with my own family. You say I have other options, right? Yep, options to buy meat that is pumped full of hormones, fed an unnatural diet of corn, injected with copious amounts of antibiotics (because they are fed corn and cannot properly digest it), is shipped from thousands of miles away, etc. etc. etc. This is called another option? I don't buy it.

    I subsist on moose and caribou. I eat them, and they comprise the vast majority of my protein intake. I would not feed my pregnant wife anything else, as I care too much for the health of my unborn child. Who are you to say that because I live in Eagle River that I shouldn't be a subsistence hunter? Don't you find that a tad bit arrogant?


    As for the "personal attacks", I don't think that someone suggesting that your knowledge of the state is skewed really qualifies as such. He didn't call you an idiot, a moron, or anything of the sort. He questioned your knowledge. Quite frankly, I don't blame him. You have a tendency to make blanket statements about what others should and shouldn't do without ever considering nuance. You did not say that "people in Big Lake should spend money on food and eat bears", you just said "you" in general. Taken verbatim, that statement shows a lack of understanding about the state. Instead of claiming a personal attack, perhaps you should further explain your statement in reply. Just a thought...

  12. #12
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I wholly agree, Big Lake Alaska isn't one of them.


    Seriously do you think I'm an idiot? read any of my posts on subsistence in Alaska note how predator control is aimed at increasing "subsistence" hunting, aka taking moose and caribou from teir II to harvest status in unit 13 e and 16b the only areas where wolf harvest goals are regularrly met the "subsistence" demand far outstrips the carrying capacity of the area (especially in unit 13) because of their proximity to urban centers they draw a lot of people to hunt them from anchorage and the valley like AKBassKing under state law this is deemed subsistence hunting, under federal law its deemed sport hunting, I happen to agree with the federal law in this case....

    In case you haven't noticed I have lived in the bush the last 3 summers, I totally understand the nessisity of subsistence hunting in this state, and I would totally support predator control that actually helped increase subsistence harvest, aka harvest that people don't need to travel far from their homes to do (the federal law) however given currents state regulations predator control does nothing to increase the harvest of those who depend harvesting big game so i don't support it, and I don't think a person from big lake should be a subsistence hunter.

    As for me flying to yakutat to go sport fishing, guess what I don't even keep any of the fish, its sport not subsistence, I don't expect any subsistence rights to those fish (even though I could get them under state regulations) just as I don't expect subsistence rights anywhere else in the state because I don't need them.

    I think you are just like to insult me. Good old no personal attacks, unless they are aimed at liberals clause we got going here, from a moderator no less. Lame.
    First place, I did not call you an idiot or a liberal. You do yourself, quite frequently, and you are the one that quite often calls people stupid and idiots.

    Seriously AKPM, do you consider the people that drive motor homes to hunt caribou in Unit 13 subsistence hunters? I don't. I consider the villages I mentioned to be true subsistence villages. That is WHY I mentioned the names of the villages. The ones that you can not drive from to buy meat at a chain store. The ones where eggs might not be available 1-2 weeks per month. Forget milk! Where even if you mailed meat Overnight Express, you might see it 10 days latter. Ever drive 112 miles (round trip) up the Yukon on a snow machine to buy eggs?

    Last year you counted fish. The year before you were a deck hand on a commercial fishing boat. And you were a "professional fishing guide" on the Kenia. What rural community did you live in, in the bush, with a native population of subsistence peoples these past three summers?

    "maybe you should try eating bears and spend money on food instead of boat gas to go "subsistence" hunting."

    I was referring to the above statement when I mentioned Yakutat. The point was; Why spend the money? You were telling people that have no option to buy food, not to go buy gas to go subsistence hunting. So where do they get food when there are no roads and the quality of what is obtainable is poor?

    I never mentioned predator control in those isolated cases. They only affect maybe 5% of the state. And, I am not going to try to figure out what you mean in those 90+ word sentences.

    P.S. I did a search. In 1,935 posts I have used the word idiot, once. It is in this post. I have used the word "liberal" twice. Both defending you.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-05-2008 at 22:57. Reason: added P.S.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  13. #13
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Seriously AKPM, do you consider the people that drive motor homes to hunt caribou in Unit 13 subsistence hunters? I don't. I consider the villages I mentioned to be true subsistence villages. That is WHY I mentioned the names of the villages.


    NO I DON'T didn't you read what I just wrote?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •