Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your earliest salmon in fresh water?

Question What is your earliest salmon in fresh water?

Last year was my first summer and ir was July before I was sucessful catching a salmon. I know they are there much earlier because I was watching them swim by. So my question is in south central what is the earliest you have caught a salmon in a fresh water river? (if I didn't say river someone would tell me about ice fishing) All of this warm weather has gotten me into the mood for a little open water fishing.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Last year was my first summer and ir was July before I was sucessful catching a salmon. I know they are there much earlier because I was watching them swim by. So my question is in south central what is the earliest you have caught a salmon in a fresh water river? (if I didn't say river someone would tell me about ice fishing) All of this warm weather has gotten me into the mood for a little open water fishing.
    I have caught silvers out of the upper Kenai on New Year's Day before. Does that count? Lots of spawners, but have caught a few chromers over the years, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well I thought that silvers would come up but fishing closes on Oct. 31 for salmon in the upper kenai, if I remember right. It would be nice if they were legal.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

I guess the question is not when it closes but when does silver season open?

My earliest is May 8th on the Kasilof, from a drift boat.

Default Coho season on the Kenai

Yukon,

Your question is easily answered in the regulation supplement. Coho season is open July 1-October 31. While it is true that the only month that coho are not documented in the Kenai is June, the intention of the regulated closure is to protect the run.

This decision, however is arbitrary because no real studies have been published regarding the coho stock or spawning. I understand the difficulty in doing a study like this justice due to the fact that the run trickles in over a very long period of time, and even when the river is frozen.

The one study that can, and has been done is smolt studies. So they can estimate run strength based soley on the outgoing numbers. As I understand it, (please correct me if I am wrong), silvers are a 1 ocean fish. With that in mind, the outgoing smolt studies will be a bit more helpful.

Nevertheless, the Oct 31 closure and the 2 fish limit are most definitely arbitrary.

Thanks, I figured there had to be an opening date, I didn't check the regs when I posted my response, thought there maybe a loophole there. There is a proposal to keep silvers open through November, I would like to see that pass.

Default Agreed!

I agree with a November opening. Even October has very few charters and certainly November less. I see that as primarily a locals fishery.

I would love to fish it into November. Maybe it would help postpone the fishing feever for a few more weeks.

So can anyone beat May 8th? That has me beat by almost 2 months. But it didn't help that everything was a couple of weeks late last year.

Default oooops sorry

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Simply got on a roll.... My earliest salmon is May 16 on the Kasilof...so I guess that I am beat as well... I'll have to work on that. I almost always hear of a king on the Kenai during the 1st week of May, sometimes even the last week of April, but it has not been substantiated as far as I know...

Earliest recorded that I know about on the Kenai was April 25th, 1998. It was caught at Sunkin Island. Usually there is one the first week of May or so on the Kenai, but not many.
    My Kasilof fish was one of those deals where we heard there were a lot of boat fishing it and they were doing really well.......We put in, were the only boat on the river and no one was even bank fishing. We were fishing the traps with K-14 and Spin-Glos, no bait before the 15th. We hit nothing, we put out a small corky with a diver and ended up hitting a king!

I caught a king on memorial day weekend once thats my earliest... Didn't someone catch a coho in the tailrace in april a few years back?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Now the Tailrace is is open year round and even open to bait year round. I actualy went out there right after the new year. It was open water but the water was clear and there were no fish to be seen, not even smolt.

Default Earliest salmon caught in freshwater

My earliest king was on May 2nd (my birthday), on the Kasilof. That was back when the hatchery was going strong.

D Ray

Kenai King - May 10th 1994.

Usually catch the first Kenai King before May 20th.

the world record was caught on may 17
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

April 28th little su 47 pounder

Cool Ship Creek

My buddy and I went last year on April 22nd and each hooked a couple kings. He managed to land his. Not sure what was more tiring........all the casting or spending time melting the ice off our line guides.

Default April 25th Kasilof

many years ago. . . While trying to catch the hatchery steelhead they used to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by UM_Zac View Post
    April 28th little su 47 pounder

Do you mind tell which year this was. What I am trying to get an idea of is this. Last years winter was colder than usual and it resulted in most runs being 1-3 weeks late. So far this year is slightly milder than normal. I am wondering if we continue to have a mild winter will the runs start ant earlier? Or is there always fish that arive early to the river?

Default Earliest Salmon

My earliest king was April 30 on the Kasilof. I think it was a leap year which would have made it May 1. My latest Red was Novemeber 1, but I'm not saying where that was. However, I caught two of them that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast