Thread: Cold Weather revolver shooting

Default Cold Weather revolver shooting

Do any of you guys have any problems extracting the rounds after shooting a revolver in cold weather? When I fire the 700grain rounds from my 500 magnum, the shells are REALLY hard to extract. I'm thinking it's the sudden change in temp in the cylinder. I thought maybe it might have been a hot load but I was very careful to work my way up on those loads. It never did it during warm weather. The last time I fired it was before I deployed Oct '06 and it was still somewhat warm then. Any ideas?
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

the times I have had "sticky" extraction was with my Casulls. My reloads was not the issue first off. Some say the metals would shift molecules or something of the like when the rounds of a Casull were fired off-a curious statement for sure.

I figured to keep the cylinders clean and then wipe with mica-sure slicks them up for extraction. Don't think I ever had another problem with them sticking after the use of that silicate.

I have since sold the 2 Casulls I had owned and now "stick" to my 44's or 45LC-nary a problem now.

doubt you are using "dirty" brass and suspect your reloads are within the parameters of the manuals.

It would be interesting to find that perhaps the "cold" is the culprit. How cold are you talking about? Would it not be something if it was a metallurgic shift?

I would say it was above freezing because the snow was melting. Not sure of an exact temp. It's as if the cases expanded in the cylinder.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    I would say it was above freezing because the snow was melting. Not sure of an exact temp. It's as if the cases expanded in the cylinder.

I'm sorry but that isn't cold and I don't think those cool temps can affect extraction. If that is a cast load possibly the lead bullet when crimped left a shard of lead between case and cylinder, this could stick it. This if your loads are on the scale.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?