Thread: Karhu Meta skiis

Default Karhu Meta skiis

I picked up a pair of Metas with a universal binding that you can strap to any boot. The sales clerk at the store said it was a cross country ski for back country skiing, kind of a cross between a snowshoe and ski she said. They have that fabric on the bottoms I think they call bear fur, that gives you more traction and keeps you from going backwards. I skijor some and thought it might be a fun alternative as I really dont ski trails much, mostly make my own trail around the farm.
    Well I was pretty anxious, so strapped them on Sunday and they didnt work as well as I'd hoped. There seems to be a lot of resistance between the ski and the snow. Do they need to be waxed or something?
    I got back into the regular cross country skiis and used those instead, they seem to have a lot more glide than the Karhus.
    Am I doing something wrong, or did I get some bad info from the sales person?

They are not designed to glide. More of an approach ski or like she said ski/snowshoe blend. I considered getting a pair for basically doing what I do on snowshoes but possibly gliding a bit better down hill.

That sure sounded a bit weird to me. Can you shave off the fur? grin

Nah man..............i aint shavin nuttin that aint mine!

I dont really like these skis, i think this weekend I'm going to have a buddy pull me behind his 4 wheeler, see how well they work for that. I'll use a waterski rope, Im thinking that sounds kinda fun. Might be fun if I live through it!

Yes, like any ski they need to be glide waxed on the part that doesn't have the fur on them -- preferably a hot wax once a year. In addition to that, in warmer snow conditions they'll need a liberal coating of "glop stopper" designed for climbing skins to keep the snow from sticking to the skin part.

They're not ever going to glide like XC skis, but they are great as something that beats the heck out of snowshoes, and for pulling a heavy pulk where some extra traction is nice and you're not going to be doing much gliding anyway.

Whatever you do, don't mess them up. I just made true believers out of a couple of guys on a backcountry trip in the cascades this weekend, and I suspect they're each going to be looking for a pair. Karhu just stopped making them, so they're getting hard to find.

Thanks for the post Evan. I never thought of them for pulling a pig. Duh

You look like Leetnuk, BTW.

Default Meta Report

I have been using these twice a week or so since late Nov in the Anchorage area with a couple guys from work (one has Meta's and one has Karver's). They are a fun backcounty setup that has proved to be very versitle in the conditions we see here.

Pros,

Cheep

Easy to use with any mountaineering or heavy boot.

very short learning curve for movement over moderate terrain. Great touring ski for the backcountry

Climb like gangbusters on all but the steepest terrain.

Very easy to use if you know how to Tele for descending. Harder if your a parrallel guy.

Cons,

The bolts that hold the bindings down get loose quick (fixed with locktight)

Both my buddies skins have peeled on the lead edge (fixed with hot glue gun)

Very difficult in mixed snow conditions on steep terrain. You really gotta have some time on them to get turning down on the steep stuff if the conditions are anything but perfect.

Bottom line, these are worth the money if you use them for moderate to steep terrain over snow movement. They are very fun. Recommend that you go out with someone who has experience with them on the steep stuff to get the feel initially.