Thread: Shipping Rifles

Default Shipping Rifles

I am getting ready to ship a rifle to Magna-Port to get ported and I was just curious on what people use to mail their rifles in, box or gun case or other. I have never sent a gun off into the vast unknown for service so I would like a little advise. USPS vs UPS vs FedEx which is the best way and what about insurance?

Thanks for any help

USPS Priority Air Mail insured for what you can prove it is worth.
    Tennessee

I sold a rifle a couple of years ago on gunbroker and shipped it to Washington State in the box it came in. I did 'create' an external box besides by cutting pieces of cardboard to lay on each side/end of the gun box and taped that up like crazy with strapping tape so as to keep the original box intact (without tape all over it).

I shipped it USPS with insurance and everything worked out fine. Hope this helps.
    Dave

Default Usps

USPS 2X - That's who I use when shipping long guns. I've had good luck so far.

Woody

USPS Pri Mail Insured works best for me. Others work, but cost more it seems, give you hassle, and I had to go the main station. UPS has untrained idiots about legally shipping firearms.

I have used a cheap hard case to ship in several times, well taped.
    You can cover that in cardboard, if that makes you nervous.

Good luck!

It's no problem just shipping in a black plastic case? Also, I guess that for insurance, etc. they will need to know that it is a rifle.

One more thing I forgot to mention, I had to first show the USPS clerk that the rifle was empty, which obviously meant that I had to tape it up there at the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by EDF View Post
    It's no problem just shipping in a black plastic case? Also, I guess that for insurance, etc. they will need to know that it is a rifle.
    No problem at all. I just shipped a rifle to McMillan in a black plastic case. I didnt even put it in a card board box.
    If someone wanted to steal it, well, thats why I insured it. I am always in the market for a new rifle!

PS. I do not think a PO employee can make you prove the rifle is unloaded. Maybe the Post Master has the final authority? But in 35 years of mailing rifles and shot guns I never been asked to prove it was unloaded. What would happen if the PO required proof that every weapon was unloaded? It would create pure havoc as many distributors ship USPS.
    Tennessee

Default No tell

When you send a long gun to a gunsmith, factory or FFL holder and send it Priority Mail, you don't have to tell the P.O. it is a firearm and they have no right to ask. They'll ask the usual anything hazardous flammable or fragile, and just say no. Most Postal workers don't know what is or isn't legal, so avoid their ignorance at all costs. The Post Master has no more right to ask what is in the box then the clerks. Handguns through the USPS is a no-no unless you are a licensed dealer. There is no rule on a firearm having to be disassembled.

Default I shipped to Mag N Port a few years ago

via UPS...I took the stock off and the bolt....just shipped the barreled action...no problem...

Default Postal regs

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 USC 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.2 b and c.

The above is postal regulation. The gun control act of 68 or 18 USC 922 provides that you do not need to inform a common contract carrier of the contents if the firearm is being sent to a dealer (and some other exceptions). However, there are postal regulations in addition to the federal law. For instance, postal regs also require the package not to be marked as containing a firearm.

If using a common contract carrier (like UPS or FedEx) there may be company policy that requires additional terms for the use of thier services.

Thumbs up

Yes USPS and you do need to inform them it is a gun, it must be in a plain brown wrapper, so as not to scare anyone and it must be unloaded. No ammo can be shipped USPS.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I ship two or three a year to my self, or to the factory for repairs, using the USPS. The only thing I am ever ask here in North Pole is if it is hazardous, or if it is a gun is it unloaded. It is kind of obvious by the size and shape what is inside the box. They then ask me to sign a statement to that effect. They have never asked to see it. The only time I have ever had a problem was in Dallas Texas, the postal employees did not know the regs and threatened to call the police just because I had brought it into the post office. I finely got it straightened out by calling the Post Master, who called the North Pole Post Office and got the proper information to find the proper regulations in her book. She finally relented and let me send the guns to myself.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"