Thread: google earth

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default google earth

anyone ever use google earth coordinates to find a fishing spot. i am thinking of logging in some underwater pinnacles for bearing usage and maybe putting me on some black bass in prince william sound. anyone have experiance?

marine chart software is much more useful
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Yes!

Assuming the photo resolution is good enough, it's amazing what it can do for the remote stream fishing I do, not only in Alaska. I can pick out exactly where on a gravel bar to fish from and the degree of difficulty there might be in getting there.

As I find these locations, along with their map coordinates which are shown on the bottom of the Google Earth page, I then download those coordinates to my waterproof handheld GPS and it is almost a foregone conclusion. The fish will be "on".

Plus, from a safety aspect, I can pre-locate dangerous areas, like sharp river bends and braids, rapids and logjams, having never been there. And, you can use the Measuring tool to find distances between Place Marks. And, you can even download specific photos of fish caught that can be attached to specific locations.

It's a good way to spend a cold winter night. Try it, you like it! Good luck.

on another note, theres not many black bass in PWS, lots of copper grays I think I kinda forget but they will be on any reef in about 30 feet of water, this habitat is basically the entire coastline between nellie jaun and chenga

Default Black Sea Bass

AKPM Sorry but black sea bass are all over PWS. I have caught then every where I fish. From Jack to Fildalgo over to Knight and north to College. The one I had for dinner last night was great. Here is a picture of one. Use a 3-4 ounce jig head, plastic shrimp body and a medium spinning rod. Usually around 100 feet on rocky edges. When the other fish aren't biting you can target these as they usually hit most of the time. I fish out there maybe 150-100 times a year.

http://www.orioncharters.com/060500BBwp.JPG
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-22-2008 at 20:14.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

sea bass also arent necessarily my main goal here either. if i can find the exact point of a pinaccle i think that would help in the layout of the immidiate area for a guy that dosent have all the fancy electronics. its kinda looking like i can see the outline of areas maybe down to 30 40 feet down in certain areas of the google earth program and there are certain lines and shades of color that could define an underwater ledge. i was also thinking that maybe these satallite photos might be more updated than the charts that we have been buying not updated for some 40 years. are there any chart programs out there that have actually done the reasearch and have updated results or are they all copied from the original information. dont get me wrong here i do use charts and study them often but was just wondering if anyone has gotten a specific location off google earth and what there exeriance was like.

Default rockfish

black bass are very similar to lings. The nastier rockier,current laiden area the better the fishing! PWS has many bass but you need GAS.

Default AKRiverrat

Just be careful of the charts out there, electronic and paper. Many have not been updated since 64 and are off. All of them should have a warning somewhere that the bottom depths may be off 10-16 feet. The gray areas near shore are also in many instances uncharted. We were in one bay last Aug. that showed 10' and poor anchorage. It turned out to be 40' and beautiful. Same with one of my bear stands. Chart shows 10 but it is 40 back where I go and anchor up. Use them only as a rough guide, in in doubt going into a bay we put a person up front.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i got two gas plans for prince william sound. the first one is 130 gallons and the second is seventy gallons. didnt do well on the 70 gall plan so im thinking 130 is gonna be my only plan this year. one time out of seward over the fourth of july weekend we ran across this rock sticking out and a sea lion working it pretty good. with one curiosity cast we seen why he was hanging so tight to this rock, sea bass. man we had a blast with the casting poles one after the other till we were limited out. like i said before not my first priority but if i had a spot that i could catch them regularly within a reasonable trip route i would visit it every time i went out. i am already itching to get out must be after the holiday jitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    AKPM Sorry but black sea bass are all over PWS. I have caught then every where I fish. From Jack to Fildalgo over to Knight and north to College. The one I had for dinner last night was great. Here is a picture of one. Use a 3-4 ounce jig head, plastic shrimp body and a medium spinning rod. Usually around 100 feet on rocky edges. When the other fish aren't biting you can target these as they usually hit most of the time. I fish out there maybe 150-100 times a year.

http://www.orioncharters.com/060500BBwp.JPG
    I speak for the west side anyway