Thread: what to do with the doghouse

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default what to do with the doghouse

i am planning on building a high deck on my inboard jetboat, so i will have this doghouse in good shape carpeted with a cushion for the top of it but i am unsure if its that valuable that i could get a decent price for it. any ideas on a good use for it or what kind of value it has?

Default Just missed out..

I cut out the fish deck on our 21' Thunderjet and built a doghouse for it. I really like being down in the boat and am still able to fish from comfortable chairs. Are you building the high deck for fishing from or for added storage underneath? CN

Default fishing and storage

more storage and movability than fishing really. we do a few overnights out in prince william sound and sleeping a couple on the sleeper seat and a few in a tent on the back deck sounds like it would work pretty slick. would make a world of difference for storage and just being able to move around on the back deck without having to go around the motor box and inbetween the portable gas barrels. not sure about your thunderjet but my 21 foot northriver gets pretty tight on extended trips with my three kids and a large dog. figure a 32 inch or so rail around the back will keep everyone in with a folddown cutting table and maybe incorporate a under deck fish box towards the back. might eliminate the need for the cooler on the swim deck to make it easier to get those large halibut on board.

Is your dog house big enough to make an ice fishing shanty out of it? Should be fairly light weight. A couple of skids and off you go. Just a thought.

Default Just an idea

My Duckworth is an either/or setup. I have the doghouse, like you, but then I also have two carpeted boards that go on top of it to form a continuous platform with storage on the two sides of the doghouse. Depending on what I am doing, I either leave on the boards for the platform or remove them and leave them behind in the garage. If your engine cover is anything like mine, it would be easy to fabricate these last to peices and then you have two options in the future.

Jim

after discussing it with my girlfriend i will be going with the half way up deck along the sides of the doghouse. some of her points were being able to sit and the increased rocking motion of the boat while sitting up high on the deck. both points are very good ones. this will be cheaper as well since i wont have to come up with an eloborate framing system, i can run aluminum 90 metal along the tackle tray and the doghouse. this way ill have more storage and still be inside the boat. ill build some new railings to match the new height of the deck. still thinking about building a box to store a couple 30 gallon fuel tanks in front of the doghouse to get rid of my 30 gall barrels that are such a pain in my keister. so the doghouse will stay but might have to be modified to still open with a storage bench fixed tight up against the front of it.