Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black bear 2008

Default Black bear 2008

I know it's only January but cant wait till my late may early June Black bear hunt I think it may be Moose Pass this year or maybe out of whitter if I find someone with a boat,Good luck all

I also have the itch for the spring bear, YUMMMMMMY.

I read a report on the NSAA forum that one was spotted on cambell creek yesterday. I guess this warm weather got them going.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Talking

I can't wait myself. I gotta find a partner willing to do a little walk-in hunting, or someone with a bait station, but I'm definitely gonna get out and HUNT this year!!

...A bear would just be a great bonus

Jon

Default Might be interested

Are spring black bear in the sound any good to eat, I'm not sure if I'm going to use my boat around here this year, or just drop it in the water in anchorage and drive to down to homer and leave it for the summer. I might be interested in doing a sound trip if someone is willing to make good plans and split expenses.

Chris

Pretty much all that I'm thinking about right now is bear hunting. I can't wait to get bait into the woods.

Default Chris S.

Spring Black Bear Meat From Sound Is Excellent, That Is Where I Will Be Going With My "new" Boat To Bowhunt Them This Spring. We Do Real Well Out There Best Year Was 9 For Ten All With Bow And 10th Was Holding Out For Big Bear.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

My wife got mad at me for setting up a ground blind in the living room and watching bear hunting videos from inside of it....I think it was the clearing of the furniture to make shooting lanes that finally set her off.

Yea...this time of year I get a bit loopy waiting for spring.

Default black bear in Glenallen

Anyone have experience in the Glenallen area for spring black bear? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Yea...this time of year I get a bit loopy waiting for spring.
    Man, I'm still waiting for winter to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, I'm still waiting for winter to arrive.
    Move to FBKS....it's finally here

Spring Black bear is the best meat of the season. Mixed with seasoning and a little pork fat, great sausage.

I have never had a bad spring balck bear. I've been practicing with my bow in the basement on a 3D black bear. The warm weather a few days ago really set the itch into full swing.

I know what you mean! I hate that part. It warms up, gets you excited, and then February gets you all depressed again.

I'm with yall though, I'm ready to pull the string back...

Default PM's sent

I already have the bait lined up for this year and will start collecting it in March. I already have 6 gallons of shrimp bait going too. Won't be long ya know. Just trying to figure out if I want to more than one bait out this year. It is a lot of work and takes up boat space, just on the way out though.

Im looking forward to it as well. Probably start my slow stock up of dog food here in a couple of weeks.

Im gonna bait the same place I did last year. Hopefully bears will cooperate. They really started rooting around in my bait the last 2 days of season. Hopefully they will remember the spot and show up memorial weekend.

Now what to use, 454 casull, Muzzleloader or my bow?

The bear we got 2 years ago off bait was really good. Chewy but pleasant.

The bear baiting bug will really set in when spring draw results come out, I check and see that I didnt draw again and then I can focus on bear baiting.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I already have the bait lined up for this year and will start collecting it in March. I already have 6 gallons of shrimp bait going too. Won't be long ya know. Just trying to figure out if I want to more than one bait out this year. It is a lot of work and takes up boat space, just on the way out though.
    I'll be running two this year for the first time. It should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

Now what to use, 454 casull, Muzzleloader or my bow?
    Real men use there bow lol. Use your bow the satisfaction of being able to spot and stock a bear to within 20yrs. is a great achievement and not alot of people are capable of doing, step up to the plate and show your skills and the feeling will be great when you see it hanging on the wall knowing you just did something not alot of people are capable of doing just my 2 cents

I dont know if I have the skills for a spot and stalk with a bow espicially with bears. If one comes to the bait Im sure I could get one with the bow.
    I tried moose hunting this year for a couple of weeks with the bow. Close a few times but no cigar.
    My dad gave me arrows, broadheads and a target for christmas. Ill probably put those to use for spring bear.

rimfire if I got the skills you got them too last year being my fist time for spring bear we snuck up on a few but in september we must have snuck up on about 20 bears to within 20yrds. just have someone there to drop him with a 375 in case he wants to get stupid. it's not hard just be quite and walk with his head down eating or looking the other way, there were so many times i thought for sure we were busted but we stayed completely still and he would turn his head again and we would get closer good luck to ya

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Move to FBKS....it's finally here
    No kidding, it was -42 when I left for work this morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast