Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Stove

Question Mini Stove

I’m looking to purchase a new back packer “mini” stove for my upcoming spring POW hunt. On this trip it will only be used for lunch and coffee in the field - at low elevation. However I want a stove that will be useful on future back country hunts at high elevation as well.

I really like both the Snow Peek and the Jetboil. For those of you with actual real world experience I’d appreciate your feed back?

Thanks!

Don't rule out the Brunton Flex stove. On Brunton's website the price went from $75 to $117. Don't know if it is a typo or what? The site below you can get it for $69.

http://www.moontrail.com/brunton-flex.php

I just received it for Christmas so I don't have a field review of it yet but so far testing it in the backyard it works great. A friend uses the older Crux model sheep hunting and likes his. Northway and others here have the Jetboil and they all seem to like it too. Run a search on Jetboil and you should find some reviews.

Personally I like whitegas stoves. I don't like the canisters. I have used an MSR XGK for years. It just plain works anytime anywhere and you can burn any kind of fuel in it if need be. The Whisperlite is worth looking at also.

My .02
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

2 words......Jet Boil!! You can get different sized cannisters for it so your not carrying 2 or more smaller cannisters on extended hunts.

Thumbs up

Thanks guys I appreciate this feedback!

James, I use the MSR international, my sons use the Jetboil. They keep telling me I need to get into the 21st century............maybe someday.

kingfisherktn

Smile

Thanks Dean,
    Prior to this post I was really leaning towards the Snow Peak or the Jetboil. Then “mod elan” showed me the Brunton Flex stove, now that one is tight!

But as “Snyd” pointed out, I really like the fact that you can burn any fuel in the MSR. This could come in very handy in an emergency situation…..So many decisions!

Is there a place in Ketchikan where I can pick up fuel canisters? I don’t think the airlines allow them.

I prefer gas stoves. If I'm out in the field I have a good chance of finding some liquid fuel like chainsaw gas, 3-wheeler gas, avgas, etc. I doubt I'll find a butane canister as easily. Do they sell gas in Ketchikan? You get my point.

My stove is an MSR XGK.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Is there a place in Ketchikan where I can pick up fuel canisters? I don’t think the airlines allow them.
    We had this discussion a while back and I believe the JetBoil canisters are not legal to fly commercially, but the others(MSR, Brunton, etc) are fine. Do a double check on this as I am not 100% positive. You don't have to use the same brand fuel as the stove is either. So you can use MSR fuel with the JetBoil.
    Last edited by mod elan; 01-22-2008 at 14:40. Reason: more info

I have and like my jetboil though I havn't used it at higher altitude. I like that the stove and one of the jetboil cannisters fits inside the cup. If you are going to be out for an extended period of time you can pick up a second cup for your hunting partner and he/she can carry 2 more jet boil cannisters in their cup without sacrificeing any additional space. The othere brand cannisters DO NOT fit inside the jetboil cups!

Is there a place in Ketchikan where I can pick up fuel canisters? I don’t think the airlines allow them.[/QUOTE]

James: For the Jetboils, or empty canisters for the MSR?

Yes! Unless they're out>

I could pickup something ahead of time for you, which would also verify it's available.

kingfisherktn

Default MSR Wisperlight/MSR International

James,

I like the MSR Wisperlight with white gas. I used to use canister stoves for their lightweight advantage, except canister availability can be an issue when you need them.

We have a Colman Apex II component stove as well as an MSR Pocket Rocket and Snow Peak Giga Power canister stoves. The Apex has lived on the shelf since picking up my son’s MSR. I recently bought the Snow Peak. We have used both of these canister stoves from sea level to the 6,000 level of Haleakala, and recently at 10,000+ level on Mauna Loa in the winter – yes snow, freezing rain, ice, and all (just keep the canisters warm-we keep them in the sleeping bag while sleeping). The Snow Peak has better simmer capabilities and performs better in the wind than the MSR (they both need some protection from the wind). The Apex is the best performer in harsh conditions and has the greatest fuel options (white gas, gasoline, kerosene, etc.). In reality, the stoves available today are all pretty good, just take a look at as many as you can and see what features you like and don’t like.

Seriously consider the MSR line non-canister. As mentioned, fuel options. You can burn just about any type of fuel. What happens when you have to stay a couple extra days out somewhere and you have already used 7/8 of your canister fuel. It's raining but you still want something warm to drink but you have some white gas or coleman fuel for your lantern or what not? I have the Dragon fly, I really like to cook on that. Yes it's kinda loud but I have heard louder. The whisper lite is also a great choice. Go to the MSR website. They have a neat little chart that campares their stoves. Then do some shoping on E-bay.

Thumbs up

Wow, Thanks very much everyone, this is excellent stuff!

Dean,
    I confirm with the airline, and if the fuel canisters are indeed banned I just may take you up on that? Thank you Sir!

I find the Jetboil works good for me. I don't find that the additional 7 ounces of an extra fuel canister is a big deal. I've got lots of other places that I can cut weight if need be.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Stoves.

To me a stove is a high priority item. Once on a sheep hunt, we let dark find us high on the mountain. I had a bivy sack, he had nothing. Temps at 38 and heavy rain and blowing wind. We made it through the night, had to get way closer than we should have. After several cold hours and near hypothermia, I though of trying my MSR dragonfly stove. That thing saved the day, kept us both warm and burned for hours. It will burn about anything burnable. I have a jetboil as well. It is great for boiling water for MH or hot drinks, but I found it lacking for a general purpose cooking stove. I take my MSR for base camp and the Jetboil for day hikes. The fuel cans have to be packed out and they can feel like they have fuel when they don't. Just my 2 cents. Like I said my stove is always with me, my stove and my wiggys bag. I used the same MSR dragonfly stove for over ten years, it did break a spot weld this year and I replaced it with the same stove. The design has stayed the same, thats tells ya they are built strong. They are however LOUD as heck. But I still love it.

Steve

So Stid...did you guys both share the bivy sack together???? Hehehe

If you are into cooking instead of just heating, one of the big differences between a canister stove and a liquid fuel stove is that even the cheap canister stoves can be turned down to cook delicate things like eggs for breakfast. Most liquid fuel stoves can't do it. You can try to turn them down, but they usually just go out. After this happens several times you usually get hot enough to eat the eggs raw. The Dragonfly is one of the rare exceptions, and is a good reason to get one if you are into cooking and want a liquid fuel stove. It's either that or a canister stove. Of course the Jetboil wasn't designed for cooking eggs either.

Default Bivy Sack

We did try the sack together for a while. You know you are close to hypothermia when you stop shivering. We could not zip it up with us both in it. After I got the stove going I let him have the bag and I used the stove and tarp. One of those I will not let this happen to me again moments. When you go out with someone, they have to be prepared as you or you both will come up short. I pack light, but I always have a stove, water, emergency sleeping bag, tarp and some food. You never know what will happen once you leave camp. Those short just going to have a look trips, can turn into I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE trips. Be prepared. I do really like my jetboil for my day trips. Nice to have hot chow and a hot drink , and you can't beat the weight.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast