Thread: Deshka Kings

Default Deshka Kings

Not a single King or Red has hit the northern Cook inlet yet and already a forecast for poor runs or another season held hostage by the lower cook inlet COMMERCIAL FLEET? So goes the Deshka so goes the NCI? I'll bet ya!

Time to waste some e-mail on the Govenors office.

Louie

ummm deshka kings aren't targeted or cuaght by the commercial fleet as they don't start fishing until most of the run is in river (my guess is 90&#37 so commercial fishing has basically no impact on the deshka king run.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Not according to this report.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ummm deshka kings aren't targeted or cuaght by the commercial fleet as they don't start fishing until most of the run is in river (my guess is 90%) so commercial fishing has basically no impact on the deshka king run.
    Direct Quote from:

Fisheries Management Report No. 07-64
    Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fisheries
    Annual Management Report 2007

"Created by the BOF in 1986, and most recently modified in 2005, the Northern District King Salmon Management Plan (5 AAC 21,366) Provides direction to ADF&G regarding management to the Northern District of UCI for the commercial harvest of Chinook (King) salmon with gillnets.

The fishing season opens on the first monday on or after May 25th and then again the following two consecutive mondays."

So there is commercial fishing directed at the King Salmon Run.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.