Thread: Buying ammo locally or shipping to Anchorage

Default Buying ammo locally or shipping to Anchorage

Any feedback on suggestions for buying decently priced ammo locally would be appreciated.

Also, I see on many threads that folks mention buying ammo from online retailers. I thought it was not possible to get it shipped to AK form outside without an FFL, etc. Is there a workaround that I do not know about? Or am I completely wrong and it is just a seller by seller issue?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Calibers I am particularly interested in are 9mm, 5.7x28 and .223/5.56x45

The problem of shipping ammo to Anchorage is Outside sellers are ignorant of shipping method. It can go FEDEX or UPS but they won't ship it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Depends too on what you are buying. I have friends who get together and buy case lots of shotgun shells, then freight them in via one of the ocean or slow overland truck carriers, bypassing Fedex and UPS entirely. They save enough to make it really worthwhile.

No FFL required, you just have to buy a lot to break even. then you have to store it etc.
    I have done it for special purpose ammo many times. But, prefer to store it at the local guns shops an buy from them for the most part.Thanks!

I don't know how often you go out of state but I think you can bring up to fifty pounds of ammo on an aiplane as checked baggage. of course I would check each airlines first but I know alaska airlines does.

Lightbulb Known web retailers who ship to AK?

Any suggestions on known retailers that ship to Anchorage? A list of links would be fantastic. Thanks!

Default Double Tap Ammo

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

I have 4 boxes of 375 H&H coming (2 boxes 300 gr Nosler Partitions, 2 boxes 300 gr Failsafe). Even with shipping cheaper than premium, roughly $52 box which is the same price as Federal 300 gr. soft points.

First time using Double Tap, but they have a good rep.

Quote Originally Posted by fozz View Post
    I don't know how often you go out of state but I think you can bring up to fifty pounds of ammo on an aiplane as checked baggage. of course I would check each airlines first but I know alaska airlines does.

Actually you are restricted to 11 pounds of ammo to/from the lower 48 and abroad. The 50 pound limit is within the state of Alaska only.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Actually you are restricted to 11 pounds of ammo to/from the lower 48 and abroad. The 50 pound limit is within the state of Alaska only.

I just traveled to Billings on Alaska Air/Horizon with 50 lbs of ammo. Northwest would only allow 11 lbs.

This is from Alaska Airlines:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...latedItems.asp

Prohibited Articles

Baggage may not contain hazardous materials or other prohibited articles, including:
    • Flammable items such as fuel (sterno, butane, white gas, propane, lighter fluid) for stoves, lanterns, motors, etc.
    • Pepper spray or bear spray/repellant
    • "Strike anywhere" matches
    • Propane tanks—because they cannot be completely purged
    • Over 50 lbs. of ammunition
    • Wet ice
    • Over 5 lbs. of dry ice
    • Styrofoam containers are never permitted as checked baggage, but may be carried onboard if small enough to fit under your seat

I flew Alaska to Alaska and packed a rifle plus a can (192 rounds of '06) of ammo for it. The rifle and ammo was declared to both the airline and the security folks. Not a problem with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    I just traveled to Billings on Alaska Air/Horizon with 50 lbs of ammo. Northwest would only allow 11 lbs.

This is from Alaska Airlines:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...latedItems.asp

Prohibited Articles

Baggage may not contain hazardous materials or other prohibited articles, including:
    • Flammable items such as fuel (sterno, butane, white gas, propane, lighter fluid) for stoves, lanterns, motors, etc.
    • Pepper spray or bear spray/repellant
    • "Strike anywhere" matches
    • Propane tanks—because they cannot be completely purged
    • Over 50 lbs. of ammunition
    • Wet ice
    • Over 5 lbs. of dry ice
    • Styrofoam containers are never permitted as checked baggage, but may be carried onboard if small enough to fit under your seat
    I stand corrected. I think even though Alaska will haul it, there is some restrictions depending where they are going, such as California. I've flown NW and Delta and they have always limited it to 11 pounds (5kilos) and also international flights are limited 11 pounds. I know ASA will haul fifity pounds in state. But if you leave here with fifty in your luggage on ASA and switch to NW in SEA, hmmm? I noticed your list doesn't include gun powder. Does that mean I can check fifty pounds of gun powder?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I flew Alaska to Alaska and packed a rifle plus a can (192 rounds of '06) of ammo for it. The rifle and ammo was declared to both the airline and the security folks. Not a problem with either.
    Does 192 rounds of '06 ammo weight 50 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I noticed your list doesn't include gun powder. Does that mean I can check fifty pounds of gun powder?
    Nowhere in their regs is smokeless powder listed. I was returning to Alaska last summer and contacted both the airline and TSA about having powder in checked luggage. I was told as long as it was in manufacturer's packaging it was OK. So after I show up to check in with eight pounds of powder local TSA goes ballistic. End result was local police were called to confinscate powder, and I was investigated by TSA and Dept. of Homeland Security. I could not be charged with anything because I had gone to great lengths to make sure I could check powder in my baggage.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Gunpowder is HAZMAt Class 1.4 Explosive and not allowed on passenger jets. Go to jail stuff. Do not put in your suItcase, Same with primers. Well mentione din federal law, regulation and airline rules.

Loaded ammo is classified as ORM-D Cartiridges, small arms.
    Amounts allowed on passenger planes is regulated by CFR29. ORM-D does not apply to international flights, that is IOTA.
    Not to mention, showing up in some country that will execute you for having one unapproved cartridge.

Airlines allowed for ammuniton vary from NONE, to 4 lbs, 11lbs, to 50 lbs on Alaska Airlines, and the silly orginal factory box rule.
    Each carrier has thier own rules. Declare at the first flight you get on an check your baggage through, that airlines rules apply, while the CFR29 applies to everyone.

Confusing? you bet! Why would an honest person need ammo anyway? that seems to be the guidelines forthe myriad of rules. A can of hair spay, allowed, is probably more dangerous...

I am well educated on what you can and cannot fly with now. What is stupid is that I never would have even tried to bring the powder with me if the airline and TSA didn't tell me it was OK.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Smile Yup, ask three people, get three answers

Title says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    Nowhere in their regs is smokeless powder listed. I was returning to Alaska last summer and contacted both the airline and TSA about having powder in checked luggage. I was told as long as it was in manufacturer's packaging it was OK. So after I show up to check in with eight pounds of powder local TSA goes ballistic. End result was local police were called to confinscate powder, and I was investigated by TSA and Dept. of Homeland Security. I could not be charged with anything because I had gone to great lengths to make sure I could check powder in my baggage.
    I brought 50 pounds of ammo up from Oregon on Alaska Airlines. The Airlines was OK with it, half of TSA went ballistic. The rational half of TSA finally calmed the ballistic half down. I had to unpack all the ammo for the ballistic TSA agents to inspect, a lot of it was handloads. Meanwhile I had some Special Forces guys standing around giving me moral support. It was quite a show.

Then to top it off, going through the line I was picked out to get my hands swabbed and run through their bomb detecting machine. I was thinking great! This machine is going to go nuts and there is going to be another dog and pony show. The machine didn’t even beep. I explained to the operator and about the unpacking and repacking of hand loaded ammo I had just done and I didn’t think his machine was working. The military guys broke up laughing, the TSA didn’t know what to say, and I got on the plane and left.

I think TSA is touchy due to the recent shooting.
    I went through Dayton on the 23rd with a bunch of firearms and some ammo. My stuff got the once over, took about 45 minutes to get released.

Airlines was fine with what I had. But the odd thing, is that American requires thier counter folks to examine the firearm to verify that it is unloaded. So, I had to unlock 6 pistol cases and explain the AR15 lowers, M1 garand barreled actions, M1A barreled actions. None of the counter folks had any clue about how to verify the firearms are not loaded; I have had to use AA on return trips several times, so guess I am used to it. Alaska Airlines is quite sane about things. TSA in Toledo a few years ago were just penuses about my guns at check in.

I understand the swipe test looks for explosive compounds and accelerents. Gunpowder is not either.
    Lots of makeup stuff has similar compounds, and they will show positive in the swipe. Happened to me. No I don't wear makeup, but had used my wifes bag for luggage.

Wow, news from the past! To answer Murphy's question: a can of '06 ammo on Garand clips weighs more than 11 pounds, but less than 50. Chubby Boy bathroom scale says 15# per can.

I fly Alaska Air when I can. They have always been great about guns and ammo. I think their limit on "regular" bags is 50# and that has always been my target total weight of any checked bag.

Unlike KelvinG, I've never been able to touch my stuff once TSA has it. I stand by and watch only. It's painful to watch them try to repack ammo during inspection. For the most part they haven't taken much interest in the guns, but check my ammo very close.

As a side note: USPS won't ship ammo, but you can ship unprimed brass and bullets express. I think a large box (70#?) is something like $15 Please check those numbers if you're thinking of using them. Pack well. Postmen give dirty looks when bullets fall out of your box!