Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Lakers (merged threads)

Default January Lakers

Here's a few pics of our most recent day of hard water fishing, I've been chasing the lakers and we've managed a few here and there, but the bite is slow, some are coming from deep water and the other half is fairly shallow. We had one on Saturday that would not come through a eight inch hole, this guy is buying himself a bigger blade before his next trip.

Enjoy and good fishing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, that is one of the absolute best fishing pictures I have seen.

The fish ain't too bad either. Congrats!

Default January Lakers

Here's a few more pics,

Enjoy

Default January Lakers (merged threads)

Another try at posting more pics

very nice!

But no details?

Man, thats a dandy. Nice fish and thanks for sharing the pic.

Default Nice fish

Wish to indulge where you got it :-)

Default Nice fish

Where are you pulling these out of..if you don't mind me asking :-)

Default January Lakers

For those that are looking for the lakes name all that I can say is sorry guys, call me selfish........but it doesn't take much pressure on these fish and they shut right down, especially this time of year.

I fish most all of the lakes on the Richardson Hwy and the Denali Hwy, and I personally think that one is just as good as the other if a person puts in the time. Paxson,Summit,Lake Louise, etc.etc.....all have very good lake trout in them, and compared to lower 48 standards they have vertually no pressure on them.

I start fishing shallow in the morning and move deeper as the day progresses, depending upon what the fish are telling me. I caught fish this week that were in 10 feet of water and some come from 75ft. of water towards late evening. I use a Marcum LX-5 flasher and I won't leave home without it. Some call this cheating, I call it (FISH ON )

I like big spoons when the fish are active, the biggest 5 of diamonds you can find with a hootchie skirt on the business ends, the KO Wobbler has to be one of my favorites, crome/blue & white/green with some kind of skirt. The little cleo's in various colors have a great action when jigging. Watch the fish come to these on your flasher, they will tell you if they want it or not within a few seconds. Swedish pimples and tube jigs are in the bag of tricks also, 3'' - 5'' tubes that are loaded with salt from berkley have worked for me. Can not go wrong with white and pink.

When the bite slows down the lure size should down size a bit also, it does make a difference. I like to drill 12 - 15 holes in a bit of a figure 8 pattern when I start off, about 100yds in length, if you're in an area where fish are roaming one of these holes will usually produce a fish, most of these cold water bites I believe are reaction bites, not so much that the fish is hungry, it's because you drop this big piece of lead right on the end of his nose and he acted out of instinct and struck at it, when you see big bait balls on the flasher, be patient....8 out of 10 times these guys will be somewhere close behind them, this is when you will actually foul hook a few lakers in the tails, I average at least one snag everytime I'm out. If you have a flasher and you're fishing deep water, watch for fish suspended very high in the water, Sunday I caught a 12lb. fish right under the ice and I was fishing in 75ft. of water, these always seem to be the active fish when it comes to making one bite, they are very aggressive and will smack hard.

Bottom line, if I'm not catching fish where I'm standing, I'm going to move, reguardless of how cold it may be outside you can usually make these guys bite. I drill a lot of holes in a 8 hour day on the ice but this also allows me to get a feel for the lake and its conyours and depths.

I hope some of this is worthwhile info and I wish you guys the best of luck out there, if you need a fishing partner....drop me a line.

That is a cool pic, congrats.

Default Sweet Photo!

Nice, very jealous...thanks for sharing.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Mark

I'm another one who wants to congratulate on the nice fish.

Got a question for you:

Do you pick up lots of younger, smaller lakers in that same lake?

Default monster laker

is it me or does it look like Kenai Lake, looking from the bridge towards snug harbour road? Sorry if I gave it away, but I've seen a lot of big lakers in KL.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Anchorage View Post
    is it me or does it look like Kenai Lake, looking from the bridge towards snug harbour road? Sorry if I gave it away, but I've seen a lot of big lakers in KL.
    No, but it does look like Fielding Lake. The flats, ridge and cabins in that location look very familiar. But this is just a guess, sort of like anyone elses. Fielding has some very nice Lake Trout and even better Burbot.

Default January Lakers

Hey Mark,

To answer your question about the small lakers..........It seems to vary from lake to lake on the size of the fish, in this particular lake we caught all sizes, ranging from about 1 1/2 lbs. up to 15lbs. Myself, I like seeing the different age group of fish in a lake, I believe it shows a healthier population of fish. But for an overall average throughout the lakes I would venture to say that a 5lb. fish seems to be a good average. The whitefish and grayling seem to be the main food source for these guys to munch on.
    I released one two weeks ago that had a huge whitefish in his mouth that was only halfway swallowed. There was 8 inches still sticking out of his throat.

Good Luck Out There

I'd like to see how to work on of those Marcum's, to see if it might be a future investment.

I have only ever targeted Pike through the ice, matter fact, don't think I have ever caught anything else through the ice. Not that I wouldn't start trying.

But I have been reading about those Marcum's for a couple of years now, but figured I was to "electronic impaired" to operate them.

At any rate, if any ya fellas go out for a day on any local lakes, let me know if ya wouldn't mind spending a few minutes running over it with me?
    I'd appreciate it and wouldn't come along to fish or impeed on your time, but to stick around long enough for some OJT on the electronics.

Thanks in advance, and sorry I got off topic.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by powerstroke7.3 View Post
    .....It seems to vary from lake to lake on the size of the fish, in this particular lake we caught all sizes, ranging from about 1 1/2 lbs. up to 15lbs. Myself, I like seeing the different age group of fish in a lake, I believe it shows a healthier population of fish. But for an overall average throughout the lakes I would venture to say that a 5lb. fish seems to be a good average......
    Thanks for that, powerstroke.

I agree, that's a sign of a healthy population.

Again, nice photo!

Default 5 of diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by powerstroke7.3 View Post
    I like big spoons when the fish are active, the biggest 5 of diamonds you can find with a hootchie skirt on the business ends,
    This one big enough??

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    I'd like to see how to work on of those Marcum's, to see if it might be a future investment.

I have only ever targeted Pike through the ice, matter fact, don't think I have ever caught anything else through the ice. Not that I wouldn't start trying.

But I have been reading about those Marcum's for a couple of years now, but figured I was to "electronic impaired" to operate them. ......
    I got a Vexilar a couple of years ago. Took it to Big Lake to give it a whirl. Drilled a hole in what turned out to be 30' of water near Burnt Point. Dropped an airplane jig and, sure enough, it could be seen on the flasher. I had the instructions in one hand and my rod in the other, playing with the lure at various depths to see how well it picked it up, and playing with the various settings.

Then a "blip" showed up at 10' while my lure was down at 20'. I quickly reeled up to 10', bounced it a couple of times, and BAM! Fish on!

Here's the result.

I used it for a total of 10 minutes or so and limited out! Made a believer out of me.

However, I tend to fish for pike and burbot in shallow water. It doesn't do much good there........

Hey, thanks Mark. Your not by chance driving an old red dodge I might have sold ya 7 years ago?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast