Thread: Anchorage to King Salmon

Default Anchorage to King Salmon

Headed to King Salmon this July and have a question regarding how to get from Anchorage to King Salmon.

I know that PenAir seems to be the best option as far as commercial airlines go but wondered about hiring a air taxi for my group of 5.

We are looking for transportation to and from King Salmon in July.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to do this?

I flew in on frontier I think and alaska airlines out. Upgrade to 1st class on the way out was $30 can't beat that. No problems getting in but we left in july when the commercial guys were leaving and that makes for a lot of people trying to get out. Fishing was great things were spendy.
    Goodluck,
    Tim

Depending on the luggage that you wish to bring you may command some bargaining with the five of you. You may try Birchwood Air @907-276-0402 or Deni-ana Air (cant find this phone number "yet) or Iliamna Air Taxi @907-571-1248, Lake Clark Air @800-662-7661. I believe these air taxi's are out of Merril Field in Anchorage.

I will try to get the Deniana Air number and update this post.

cool husker
    I just moved from the King Salmon/Naknek area and having lived there for the last 32 years, I don't remember Frontier Airlines coming in King Salmon the last few years. When did you travel to AKN last? My summers are up the Kvichak so maybe they came in for a little bit? I think they are running scheduled flights to Dillingham tho...

George

Thanks, George. Can you give me a idea of what that type of flight should cost so I know where to start the discussion?

I guess the main downside of using an air taxi would be that they don't fly in bad weather. Whereas PenAir most likey will be able to get us in and out more reliably. Do you agree?

I would guess that the hourly on a Navajo (twin engine) would be about $600.00 or so and hour. If you have Alaska Airline miles you can get to King Salmon using them with Pen-Air. As far as weather, in July I doubt that will be an issue getting into King Salmon. Have you tried cheap tickets.com or something similar?

George

Now that I think about it I doubt chartering will be as cheap cause you pay for the time the aircraft flies back. I think that is the way it works.

I was thinking of mailing my stuff ahead via USPS then flying to katmai, fishing the brooks then heading to KS and taking AK air back.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Depending on how much stuff you have and if you have someone to send it to. Check out ACE air cargo to ship you stuff out. They may be able to hold it for you and might be cheaper. Brooks if great trip but you will not be alone on the river. That will be peek sockeye and bears and people will be plenty. I would make reservations with Katmai National Park if you are planning on camping as the campground gets tied up soon (My daughter worked for them the last three years). You may even see if someone is offering a package to Brooks. Any, good luck and if you have time in King Salmon and wish some contacts to fish the Naknek email me and I can hook you up with some names.

George

Alaska Airlines does have one flight a day to and from King Salmon. Current round trip is $404 (plus any airport fees) so it would be much cheaper than an air taxi. Pen Air has four flights. That would probably be the best deal if you can make the reservations early enough.

Thumbs up Alaska Airlines....

Alaska Airlines will be flying their brand-new '737-combi'. This will accommodate up to 72 passengers and 5 pallets (igloos) of cargo.

Although Alaska Airlines won't be flying to either Dillingham or King Salmon in the off season (non summer months), they will definitely be flying daily to both communities starting April 28th.

Default airfare

I understand PenAir just released their lodge rate for the 08 season - $446, a $40 jump from last year.

I've already researched a bit on fares in June and July on several travel sites and found booking straight thru from the states to King Salmon was cheaper than adding the lodge rate to the Anchorage fare. The only issue would be changing flights or refunds... the lodge rate allows you to do either at no charge and the other would not.

The best site, at least today, was http://atravelcafe.com/ or use Alaskan Air at http://www.alaskaair.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Depending on how much stuff you have and if you have someone to send it to. Check out ACE air cargo to ship you stuff out. They may be able to hold it for you and might be cheaper. Brooks if great trip but you will not be alone on the river. That will be peek sockeye and bears and people will be plenty. I would make reservations with Katmai National Park if you are planning on camping as the campground gets tied up soon (My daughter worked for them the last three years). You may even see if someone is offering a package to Brooks. Any, good luck and if you have time in King Salmon and wish some contacts to fish the Naknek email me and I can hook you up with some names.

George
    you know how the comm race out of KS goes, us fish counters get caught in it usually so what else to do but fish the naknek, I'm building a 14 foot 9 wt for it right now acutally

AK Monkey,
    You spend time with ADF&G or with USFW? You chasin trout with the 14 footer? Smolt run all summer on the Naknek, a good July pattern is a Ginger Flesh fished like a smolt, but you can't go wrong with big black and ugly...

George

ADFG and the roughneck, I hooked one on an esl that I thought was a king last year and caught a coho jack... Smoltish flesh patterns in late July? Alright