Thread: Sheep Video

Default Sheep Video

Been thinking about the infamous TMA 2007 video Troy has tried to happen, and a lot of responses from people here. So I have a related question.

If you were approached by somebody wanting sheep hunting footage who is stating up front that the footage is going to be included in a commercial DVD would you be willing to share your video if:

You and your footage are acknowledged in the credits.
    No mention of the location of your hunt. Not after scenery shots. Sheep, camping, hiking, shooting, skinning, etc.
    Everything is writing between you and the guy who wants the footage.

Thanks for your input.

Ken

I would...be kind of nice to see it amongst other sheep hunts. I plan on taking a video camera on my next sheep hunt anyways...hope i can get some good footages!

I don't film my hunts, but take a lot of still photos, and would be unlikely to share the footage if I did film them. Generally, I don't enjoy commercially produced hunting videos.

Well Alasken, I will tell you that one of my hunters had a photo of his sheep posted in a magazine along with a story of his hunt without my permission. In the photo you could see part of a glacier and some mountains in the back ground.
    I was later approached by a local hunter who told me he knew right were that ram was taken just by looking at the photo. He said he figured it out with "google earth". I thought he was full of it until he indeed did tell me right where that ram was taken. He even pointed out the exact spot on a the exact ridge. Changed how I look at things I can tell you. Technology is good and bad. Good for him, bad for me.
    I would probably not offer to have any personnal video published.

Default Sheep spots

Why are so many guides and outfitters so sensitive about secret sheep spots? They don't own the sheep nor do they own the land it dwells upon. Any local hunter (can also draw permit) if he or she really wants to find good sheep, and know general areas can charter a plane and do some pre-season scouting if they want to, regardless if its in their "so called Area" Now I'm not saying I would cut another hunter off in the process of taking an exceptional trophy, because I have respect for other hunters, and I will avoid an area where there are others. Alaska is big and vast, but i tell you its not too hard to pin point some areas that hold good animals. Alot of research and homework can pay off. Its not like these animals are in a high fence, they do move around, and can move for some great distances. Every year I go up the Dalton HWY I see several legal rams, not even a couple miles from the road, I think its fun chasing them around with bow in hand, but whose to say that a couple of guys can go and push them back in 5 miles and take them legally with a rifle! Its no big secret! I don't know why everyone is so sensitive. After all you still gotta climb the mountain and still do the leg work...Unless you got a guy like Rick French to carry all the gear for you, and pack the ram out.......even watching the video, i could almost tell you at least what range they were on....CK

Default Thats what I saying

If someone knows the area good enough to recognize a knoll or knob, its more than likely they know that there are sheep there. Am I missing something.

Terry

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default To answer...

your question kahahawai, the reason people are so secretive about good sheep spots is to prolong their ability to hunt sheep there. If everyone was running their mouths about this great spot and that great spot it sure wouldn't be as enjoyable for the person that found the spot in the first place.

Whether it be dumb luck or rigorous homework, that person/guide/outfitter spent a lot of time and resources on the area, and shouldn't give it away to any tire-kicker looking for a good place to hunt sheep. I understand they don't 'own' the spot, and if someone comes in to an area I hunt I respect that they have found it and I can't prevent them from hunting there, but I am not going to give them a road map to the place, they are going to have to work for it.

To get back to the original post, I generally don't like hunting videos, mostly because they are guided hunts. However, I love the idea of a DIY hunting video, as long as it doesn't give away locations. I have a small video camera that I used last season, and got some decent video of the ram I shot. In the future, I would be willing to submit video footage for the purpose of a DIY hunting video.

Why so sensative over the fact that I don't want to share with others where I hunt? It's no secret, if someone wants to find out the area I hunt all they've got to do is go to div. of occ. lic. and it says right on their site the area's I register. That doesn't tell you the exact spot however where I killed X ram. Maybe I've got a spot out in said area that doesn't get pressure for whatever reason. Why should I just offer that info to others? If you want to go to the leg work of finding a good area to hunt go for it. I'm not trying to stop you and more power to you. I on the other hand am not going to offer this info to you willingly or knowingly. End of discussion!
    Now back to topic. I used to think that the video thing was a great thing. Not so enthused about it now just because of the reason I posted earlier, "others may find the area you are hunting in by that video". I would be more than willing to submit video of hunts that have taken place in draw area's however. The reason for that is obvious and also I support the concept of good video being marketed to the public for educational benefits to others. "Here is how to do it the right way", or " Here is what to do and here is what not to do". It's a great educational tool..
    I will say that some of the video of sheep hunts I've seen put out by guides is a little tough for me to watch only because the fat client they have in tow does not fit my discription of a "sheep hunter". I'm sure I will offend some with this but there is a big diffence between a guide and an in shape client doing a backpack sheep hunt and said guide and two packers and one camera man dragging some bubba around. To me it is distasteful and I don't enjoy watching that. Would much more enjoy video of the whole hunt of a DIY sheep hunt. Also, some of the kill shots are a bit ugly to endure as well, so Alasken if you put out a video make sure the guy can shoot.

Terry, fyi, the guy that located the exact spot that said ram was killed at had never been to that spot and had never even thought of hunting there until he dialed it in with google earth. So no, he was not familiar with the area before that photo was published. I'm just pointing out that if you don't want the area you hunt in known to other hunters for whatever your reasons be careful of who you show your photo's and video to. If you don't care about that by all means, share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    Terry, fyi, the guy that located the exact spot that said ram was killed at had never been to that spot and had never even thought of hunting there until he dialed it in with google earth. So no, he was not familiar with the area before that photo was published. I'm just pointing out that if you don't want the area you hunt in known to other hunters for whatever your reasons be careful of who you show your photo's and video to. If you don't care about that by all means, share it with us.
    Smart dude! Wish I was that good, or had that much time, with google earth! I am waiting for the version that is live and has thermal imaging...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    Its the only time I will stretch the truth is when someone asks me "where'd you shoot that mister" Its not that I don't want everyone to be successful, I know its a finite resource and everyone can't be successful in "my" spot. If someone finds "my" spot its time to find a new spot. I know guys that look for any land mark in moose videos to figure out where they are hunting. I also can't wait for google earth live with thermal imaging.

Default bad idea

What a stupid idea!

I also found an area by watching a video of a sheep hunt that was done by a local co here in Alaska. The only way I knew what area he was in was when I noticed the place where he parked his truck. To bad it's a draw area....

Angry what??

Uhhhh.............what was the question?
    I should know better than ask a question about sheep hunting.

Default Mr. Alasken

Alasken, This does not sound like a good idea. seeing how are sheep resource has been under the scope for the last few years. Lets try to back off the pressure and put more emphasis on bear hunting videos. As an Alasken, I am sure you are of aware of the high percentage of bears they Need to be hunted. Be great video. By the way I hear Barney's is hiring.

Buckwear, that is a very good point. Our sheep are under enough pressure as it is and we certainly don't need another sheep hunting video out there showing all those other hunters "HOW IT'S DONE". I for one may take this year off from sheep hunting to let the resource catch up, just to do my small part.
    I do think a how to video of coyote and wolf hunting would be a great addition to the already flooded market of sheep hunting video's. Alasken, I would be all for going out and helping you put something like that together. I'm sure it would pay better than Barney's.

I would not be interested in providing video. Actually I'm not interested in packing a video camera up the mountain, I'll pack extra food instead or buy a bigger spotting scope . But I'm curious, what would be the purpose of making the DVD? You said commercial so I assume you would be selling it to make a profit? Would it be a "how to" or just a video of guys killing sheep? To me the scenery shots of hunt, etc. are what make the video fun to watch. Just seeing a couple guys hiking, a sheep standing in the rocks one minute and then BANG he flops over just doesn't do it for me. I like the emphasis to be on the whole adventure not on the kill. I think that's why most of us sheep hunt, the adventure, the country, the whole experience. If it's just about the killing well, there are much easier critters to kill, and video. I don't think a sheep hunting video without the "big picture" would be worth watching. Heck, a guy can go to you tube and watch sheep get killed for free if that's all he wants to see.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I would not be interested in providing video. Actually I'm not interested in packing a video camera up the mountain, I'll pack extra food instead or buy a bigger spotting scope . But I'm curious, what would be the purpose of making the DVD? You said commercial so I assume you would be selling it to make a profit? Would it be a "how to" or just a video of guys killing sheep? To me the scenery shots of hunt, etc. are what make the video fun to watch. Just seeing a couple guys hiking, a sheep standing in the rocks one minute and then BANG he flops over just doesn't do it for me. I like the emphasis to be on the whole adventure not on the kill. I think that's why most of us sheep hunt, the adventure, the country, the whole experience. If it's just about the killing well, there are much easier critters to kill, and video. I don't think a sheep hunting video without the "big picture" would be worth watching. Heck, a guy can go to you tube and watch sheep get killed for free if that's all he wants to see.
    I agree about the content of the video. I already have a lot of good scenery footage from my secret ovis honey hole. I just need more of the footage I originally mentioned here somewhere.

Got to go now......gonna get a job at Barney's. ;-)
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa