Thread: .44 mag reload

Default .44 mag reload

I am looking for the stuff to reload .44 mag. Where should i go to get the supplies or is there anyone that is selling theres. Any info would help I am new to the whole reloading thing.

Thank all

Do you have access to the shops of the big cities or do you have to rely on the USPS/UPS?

You cannot order powder or primers by mail/ups.

Bullets and brass and presses and dies can be delivered to your door, but you still need powder and primers which means one of the many shops here and there or one of the conglomerate stores.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Getting Started Handloading

Buy a (or preferably, more than one) reloading manual (I started with a Lyman book and a Speer as backup) and read them both for their discussion of the how-to steps.

I also started with the guy who sold me my press watching over my shoulder as I loaded my first 56 rounds (a box of .38s and 6 .357s) to make sure I did not blow myself up, load a powderless cartridge or set off a primer in the press. There is nothing like a tutor.

There are instructional videos now that did not exist in the '70s.

Load mid-range velocities or slightly light at first so poor ignition or overpressures are not concerns. Just concentrate on getting the steps right and being VERY VERY consistent (charge weight, crimp strength, seating depth, primer seating force, all that)

Keep the static electricity under control, wear eye protection when loading and don't pinch your fingers in the press.

Good luck.

Default Look for a starter kit

I bought a starter kit from RCBS over 30 years ago and used it for thousands of 44 loads before I added other components.
    I'm sure there is someone in your area that will give you a hands on look at how to. If you are in Fbks give me a shout, I reload a couple hrs a week lately.

Thumbs up Sportsman Warehouse

Sportsman Warehouse

Keep trolling through the thrift stores. A buddy just picked up a NIB RCBS Rockshucker press for $5. Darn it.

Thumbs up E bay

E bay is another good place for reloading gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Keep the static electricity under control, wear eye protection when loading and don't pinch your fingers in the press.
    Makes sense, funny though your the first person Ive ever read a comment from in regards to static and reloading.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Static may matter a lot more for blackpowder than smokeless.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Static thread

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Makes sense, funny though your the first person Ive ever read a comment from in regards to static and reloading.
    Actually, the static comment was in response to another thread wherein reloaders were asking what to do about static electricity causing powder to cling to the insides of powder hoppers and funnels in powder measures. Apparantly, it can be a problem in some powder measures, especially in dry air (as we have in Winter). I never had much of a problem with static myself. I usually use powder scoops.

Lost Sheep

Oh, that static. I know all about that static except for how to get it out of my RCBS Chargemaster Combo .
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default How to get rid of static

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Oh, that static. I know all about that static except for how to get it out of my RCBS Chargemaster Combo .
    Some suggestions I heard in the thread i mentioned in my earlier post (sorry, I don't remember where I saw it, but is was recent and most probably on Alaska Outdoors, Rugerforum, or AccurateReloading.com)

Humidify your workspace

Wipe down your equipment with a fabric softener sheet (inside and out)

Wrap fabric softener sheets around your equipment (or cloth lightly dampened with liquid fabric softener)

Install polonium cartridges in and around your equipment (find them at a photo specialty shop if you can find one that still does film)

Put an ozone generator or an ion generator in your workspace.

Load only in the summertime. (Sorry, I don't make them up, I just report what I find.)

I cannot vouch for any of these things personally, but they do have basis in science.

Larry (Lost Sheep)

if youre new and just looking to reload for .44mag you might wanna look at the "lee classic loader". its just a little kit, kinda unorthadox. it may be what youre looking for it may not. good luck

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I load other cartridges and use a variety of handloading tools from various companies.

However, for 44 Mag., Lee tools has been the best solution for me.

I have the Lee Turret Press, and Lee Dies in the 4 hole turret, including the Factory Crimp Die. Primers are seated with the primer arm that comes with the press. I use the Lee Perfect Powder Scale too. I just set the micrometer adjuster, check it on my Powder Scale to see itís OK, and go from there.

My dies all stay adjusted, and when I use a different bullet I just back off on the seater die and readjust it for the particular bullet, so there is no hassle whatsoever.

Only the Scale, and the Primer Pocket Unifomer I use to clean the primer pockets, are not from Lee.

I donít use this setup (Lee Turret) for Rifle Cartridges excepting 30-30. I donít consider it suitable for most rifle cartridges, but you can get by sometimes, depending.

Midwayusa is a good place to order from, and you can get this stuff locally too.

Great Northern Guns, sells Cast Performance bullets, and IMR 4227 or H 110 Powder. You might have to look around for the primers.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.