Thread: Remington Model 700 and Model 7

Default Remington Model 700 and Model 7

What is your opinion of the Remington mod 700 and the mod 7 ?

Accuracy
    Quality of Manufacture
    Price
    Design
    Function
    Durability
    Looks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default quality control has slipped

I think that the bean counters took over quality control. The old ones always seemed to be real solid. Now their base model is kind of tinny-the actions rattle. This is the sps 700 at wally. The xcr is better however many tikka, kimber,howa are better. The Kimber is more but the others are less. I have seen KS custom and they have a decent fit and handling. However, you can get a HS Precision for near the same price as these KS customs.

Weird thing is happening. If you look at Gunsamerica many 788s are going for more than 600s.

Many say the 7 does better than a 600 but I tell you you can find some real nice 600s. I like 600s much more than 660s laminated which look like a minimuti frankenstein with the ugliest laminate ever made.

sincerely,

Thomas

Here is my brief assessment.

Accuracy- Moa and out standing.
    Quality of Manufacture - has really stepped up lately in the CDL line, I like it.
    Price - Starting to get on the high side for what we are getting.
    Design - Simple and very straight forward, easy to work with.
    Function - Simple and have not had any failures in loading follow up shots.
    Durability - Mine have held up under some very hard conditions.
    Looks - I think the CDL's are the best looking, but some others I like.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 788's for $600???

I'm a fan of the 700 CDL. I don't like model 7's, but I'm a bigger guy.
    The 700 CDL in 270 wm I just bought my wife is excellent. Very accurate, wooden stock is beautiful (I may pick up a synth for it if she's serious about hunting).
    I've got a 788 (308) from the late 70's...it's accurate as heck, but heavy for a short barrel and I worry about the bolt (funny braised w/8 lugs). I hang on to it because it was the first rifle my father gave me. It's stock is dinged all to heck and it needs to be re-blued. It was a cheaper rifle at the time...I can't believe their selling anywhere near $600 now!!!

Sal,
    I think he was saying they are going for more than the model 600's(?), though I too could be mistaken.

I personally have always liked the looks of the CDL 700 and sure wish it were still only $550! Now that the mountain rifle is no more, I think the Model 7 CDL is a good replacement, especially in calibers like 7mm-08 and .260 Rem.

Oh, I do really like their Varmint Synthetics and the LSS Mountain Rifle too!
    Last edited by AKWannabe; 01-22-2008 at 18:54. Reason: Did some research!

Default Well...

Started working in a small gunshop here locally, and we don't stock Remington centerfire rifles, if that tells you anything.
    Remington bolt guns get cobwebs in the barrels sitting like cross-eyed, buck toothed girls at a school dance while Model 70's, 110 Savages, CZ's, Rugers and such head out the door faster'n we can stock 'em......selling them to farmers, ranchers, and hunters that wear 'em out, and can't afford hangar queens that don't perform without tweaking.
    I DID hear the other day of Remington letting a good one slip out, but the rumor is unsubstantiated........

Interesting to say the least. I have some hunting buddies that live in Idaho and we have hunted some together out west in the last ten years. I will send them an email and see what they say about the Remington rifles and sales in their area of Idaho. I will let you know their answer since one of them not only owns a gun shop but is a Smith. By the way, what part of Idaho do you live and work in?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, I emailed my friend and he said there are 17 major gun shops in Idaho that sell Remingtons that he knows of and do great selling Remingtons. He also said that he would provide shop names and Phone numbers so anyone could call and ask for themselves how well Remingtons sells in Idaho. Let me know and I will send you a PM with the names of the stores and the phone numbers for you to check out yourself if you want. I think your post was not fair and very biased for some reason which is not clear. Boise, Meridian, Eagle and many other citys have gun shops that sell them and doing well with Remington. Like I said let me know and I will give you shops and phone numbers if you are really interested in facts. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I think your post was not fair and very biased for some reason which is not clear.
    Of course it's biased, it's his opinion. Isn't that what you asked for in your first post? "Your opinion of the Remington Mdl 7 and 700". Personally I like Browning's over the Remington. Why? I have several reasons, but mainly just personal preference, or opinion. My hunting partner hunts Remington and loves them, he's been hunting them since he was a kid, he just likes 'em.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Wa Woody View Post
    Of course it's biased, it's his opinion. Isn't that what you asked for in your first post? "Your opinion of the Remington Mdl 7 and 700". Personally I like Browning's over the Remington. Why? I have several reasons, but mainly just personal preference, or opinion. My hunting partner hunts Remington and loves them, he's been hunting them since he was a kid, he just likes 'em.

Woody
    Point well made Wa Woody and is noted. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have been using Remingtons practically all my life. I have one of the first model 7's in 6mm. It shoots extremely well. My other 700's are very accurate as well. the least accurate one is my mountain rifle and it shoots minute of angle groups or better at 100 yards with factory loads and no modifications. None of my Remington bolt rifles have ever given me a moments trouble. hope this helps.

While I believe Remington quality may have gone down a little bit in the recent past, I still own several of them and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. My first Remington was a Model 7 in 7mm-08 and I've got no complaints about that little rifle. I grew up shooting Remingtons and have no love at all for Browning or Winchester rifles. Not that I think any modern rifle is all that much better or worse than any of the others, just that I am accustomed to the location and style of the safety on a Remington and it works well for me.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default I like my Rem 700

I have a Rem 700 LH in .300 WM that shoots great. I think it's quality and looks are as good as any other bolt action I've held. It fit's me like an old glove. I bought it in 1999 and thought the price was a little high, just like every other gun I looked at.

Default rem 700

I have two - one is a 700 7mm mag that I bought in 1978 and it has been great the entire time. the other is a 270 that I bought when my boys got to hunting age and it has been a terrific piece of equipment also. both are very accurate rifles and I do very little tinkering with them.
    I would not hesitate to purchase another model 700

Here's my take on the M700. On a scale of one to ten. I don't know anything about the M7.

Accuracy---Generally about; 8+
    Quality of Manufacture--Like most American companies, slipping; 8
    Price--Not too bad. Nice wood is just expensive; 7
    Design--It was designed to be manufactured not used; 5
    Function--Deduct for trigger/safety/extractor/ejector; 5
    Durability--Higher than expected; 7
    Looks--9
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Here's my take on the M700. On a scale of one to ten. I don't know anything about the M7.

Accuracy---Generally about; 8+
    Quality of Manufacture--Like most American companies, slipping; 8
    Price--Not too bad. Nice wood is just expensive; 7
    Design--It was designed to be manufactured not used; 5
    Function--Deduct for trigger/safety/extractor/ejector; 5
    Durability--Higher than expected; 7
    Looks--9

Thanks Murphy! This is an example of expressing ones opinion that is not really in favor of the Remington and done in a way that the first post was set up to get the info. Thank you for your candid answer and appropreiate approach. Now that is what I am looking for. This helps one weigh pros and cons and opens the door for good comments whether for or against or indifferent and gives us a sampling of hunters and shooters preferences concerning the 700 or Mod 7.. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Opinions...

Well, you asked for an opinion, and I sorta gave one. Mostly, I like to try and be a bit entertaining, too. Must not've worked out real well for the entire audience...
    Boise/Meridian/Eagle/Nampa are pretty much one big jumble, and growing into each other, clear over on the west side of the state. Blackfoot sits right between Pocatello and Idaho Falls, in the southeast corner of Idaho.
    I believe there's a few more folks live over there than do here. They're interested in making crop land into cities, we still farm it here. Must have more money over there, too.
    We're a really small shop in a town of less than 10,000. In OUR town, in OUR shop, Remington's new rifle line doesn't do well. Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls and Pocatello have a good stock of them. They're still in business. Maybe they can afford to sit on an inventory longer than we can. Our biggest seller in December and this month have been Weatherby Vanguards at $469.00. Next biggest seller seems to be a tie between Savage and Ruger. Biggest part of our sales, however, are used guns.
    I used to be a really, really big fan of the 700 series of Remington rifles. Used to be, and doesn't seem so long ago, that if it came in a green box, there was no question that it would shoot well, look good, and last a long time. Like a lot of other things, that perception has slipped a bit in my mind.
    I'm not convinced these days that the 700's are the 'best' buy around. Good? Yes. The best? No. Other stuff worse? Yes. Other brands/models better? Yes. More bang for the buck out there? Yes.

Thanks Darreled for this impute which is much clearer than the last post. I really appreciate what you have said. It makes more sense. I will agree that some of the Remington stuff does not look good but they have been more about producing rifles than making them. I think the pressure has been felt by them and there seems at this point a better quality check going on and a slow down in production rate to control quality. We all will see if it makes a difference. My 350Rem Mag in Mod 7 is a better product in fit and finish than just 2 years ago. The Vanguard by Howa is becoming a big hit down here where I live also. Once again thank you for your second post which I think was a very candid and honest post that expresses your concern about the lack of quality in Remington over the past 5 years or so. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS