Thread: new cataraft

Default new cataraft

I just bought myself a one man cataraft and was looking for some good one day floats in the southcentral area. Does anyone have any advice?

Lots of options, some require more skill than others. All of the Parks Hwy streams between Wasilla and Talkeetna are floatable.

Any section of the Kenai River is pretty good, but the section between Jim's Landing and Skilak Lake is a bit more exciting. The most common float section is from Kenai Lake to Jim's Landing (where the Skilak Road starts).

Lyon Creek, starting near the top of Turnagain Pass, on down to to Bertha Creek or to the next campground is fine (what's it's name?). Just make sure you don't go much past the usual Sixmile Creek whitewater Put in. Class IV drops start about a mile later.

Portage Creek from the lake to the highway is a simple, but fun day float.

Eagle River from the put in at 7.1 mile on E.R. Road to Briggs Bridge on E.R Loop Road. This is a slow section that usually takes 3-6 hours depending on river level. Below there to the highway (E.R. Campground) is a fine float, but you will want to work up to the class III experience first. Below the highway is also a very good run (class -III), but you need to get a free 2 year pass at the Ft. Rich. gate first. Take out is Bravo Bridge on the Army base.

Of those, Lyon Creek is my favorite in a small boat. A fast current, lots of switchbacks, a couple sweepers at times, but no real rapids. It's a great place to learn. Too small for a full sized raft though.

Thanks for the info. Is there any fishing on Lyon Creek?

There are kings and silvers in Sixmile Creek, but I don't know how high up they go. Last I heard King fishing was closed in the area. Don't know about trout.