Thread: Got a nipple stripped!

Default Got a nipple stripped!

One of the nipples in my cylinder is stripped out. What do you think, drill through it to get it out?
    Do I even really need to remove it?

Ah, man. I hate it when that happens (and hence my affection for the Knight grease- I've never had a nipple stick since I started using it.)

The best way I've found to get them out is with an easy out. Clamp the cyclinder in a vise so it's steady and both hands are free, then very carefully use the easy out. Start with the smallest you can use, and if it doesn't work you can always go to the next larger size. Use smooth, steady pressure and it should come out just fine.

These had a black grease on them. All I have is T/C breech lube. its clear. It works on my breech plugs good, course I use a wrap of teflon tape too.

Default ex out

I had it happen to me once. I had to weld a piece of stock on a drill bit so I could drill it out to fit the ez out. It was a pain, but that dang thing was in there

Interesting on the teflon tape. I've never had to resort to it with the Knight grease, which is kinda greenish like a moly. I use it on the nipples on all my traditional guns. Another thing I've found to help when reinstalling the nipples after each cleaning: Seat the nipples in kind of a two-step process. Turn them down til they stop just firm, then back them out a half turn and retighten. They don't have to be reefed hard to work. Just kinda "stopped plus 5%," more or less like you hand tighten the filter cover in your house's water system. Too tight and either is likely to jam.

I've got a set of small easy outs, and the smallest could be used with no drilling. I'm not sure why you needed a piece of stock on the bit, swapdonkey.

Default Teflon Tape ?

Never heard of using teflon tape. The nipples are tapered like a pipe thread and don't require much more than a snug turn of the wrench. I've never stuck one and don't really want to either. If that became a problem I'ld probably try an anti-sieze compound.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Oh the teflon tape really helps. even after 20 shots that plug comes out like greased butter.

worst case scenario, you end up having to retap it for a musket cap...which isnt always a bad thing to begin with!

But I gotta hand it to ya...a stripped nipple, no dat's gotta leave a mark

I'm not sure there would be room for a musket cap on the Ruger, once you changed out the nipple. There are several past threads on removing stuck nipples at another site I frequent, and among the responders are some pretty darned good muzzleloader gunsmiths. If I get the chance later today I'll try to find and link those threads. Busy day ahead, so you might have to be a little patient with me.

I stole a few minutes and found this thread. It's a good starting point anyway.

Wink Got A Nipple Stripped!

Ouch! I hate it when that happens.

Sorry, I've been holding off but finally couldn't help myself.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 01-23-2008 at 07:50. Reason: added info

Cool Tough to find a 6 inch long drill bit for a in-line

The last one I did I had to drill out all but the threads of the old nipple and then used a tap to get out what was left. Other times I've managed to get them out with a easy out, the best ones use a left hand drill and sometimes they come out while being drilled.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

What's an inline

I've alwsys been able to leave a little penetratingoil on them awhile, work them a bit & finally get them out without stripping the head completely.
    I have had friends who stripped the head & had to go to the easy out & that always worked.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."