Thread: BEST WAY TO FISH EGGS FROM BANK? need advice

Default BEST WAY TO FISH EGGS FROM BANK? need advice

I will be fishing Nome area for silvers and want to ask how you suggest rigging the bouncing bettys/pencil lead. I have a bunch of propeller looking things, balls, beads, and 3/0 egg keeper hooks I got down at Sportsmans Warehouse. This is my first summer here in Alaska though and I want to ask what the right way to do it was. Lots of silvers here but I dont know much about the technique involved. Any info greatly appreciated.

Lightbulb drifting eggs for silvers

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock
    I will be fishing Nome area for silvers and want to ask how you suggest rigging the bouncing bettys/pencil lead. I have a bunch of propeller looking things, balls, beads, and 3/0 egg keeper hooks I got down at Sportsmans Warehouse. This is my first summer here in Alaska though and I want to ask what the right way to do it was. Lots of silvers here but I dont know much about the technique involved. Any info greatly appreciated.
    I will throw some things out there on this subject, I can't educate you completely in a paragraph.
    1. You need to tie an egg loop. Have someone show you, find a book, google it, whatever, but you can't do it without unless you use magic thread or something.
    2. Silvers really bite eggs subtle sometimes. I have found I was getting bites and didn't even know it. If your line is not tight you will miss the bite and not set it 9 of 10 times. One way to combat this is to use a bobber and eggs, and drift it down through the fish, keep the line as straight as you can WITHOUT dragging the bobber, it has to drift freely through the hole or your bait will be on top. When you see the bobber stop or go down you can see when you have bites. Many use a jig, plain with bait, a jig fly with bait, or just a jig, under the bobber.
    3. For weights there are options of course. Split shot are ok, there are those rubber tubing you can tie on that you can put pencil lead of the length that works well.
    4. You have to bounce the eggs through, don't throw it right where the fish are, you have to throw them up to give them time to get down before it gets to the fish.
    5. Those "propeller" things are spin-glos. You put them on the line, above the hook, with a bead or two between the spin-glow and the hook/bait. When it drifts through, the spin-glo spins and attracts fish, as well as slightly floating your bait.

Have, fun, I'm jealous.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.