Thread: Private Plane Caribou

Default Private Plane Caribou

I am looking for a recommendation regarding a good place to try for a nice Bou this year. I have a plane so I am not dependant on an air service, but I do not have much familiarity north of the Alaska Range. I would appreciate any recommendations that anyone has to offer. I need 575 @ Max Gross (sea level). I am not looking for your super secret favorite spot just a good place for me and family friend (NR) to hunt. Thanks
    Drew

Default good spot

I know some good boo spots. I will have to show you though. Just drop me a line and i can be ready at little notice. I need a hunting partner with a plane.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I have been thinking about getting my private license and working on getting a plane like your champ as you know. In my contemplation of how best to hunt using a small tandem plane like yours I would think it best to use it in conjunction with a pickup truck and a strip along the road system. Use the truck to get your bulk camp to a strip along the road system and ferry your gear and hunting partner into the remote area you are planning to hunt. I imagine that the haul road would present several possible places that this could be done.

That's a pretty good thought, LuJon. I've been flying a cessna for 8 years, but am just starting to get my feet wet in a Super Cub. Once I've got lots of time in the Cub under my belt I'm hoping to use it for a sheep hunt or five. Starting from a truck somewhere sounds good, as you could also bring a few barrels of fuel.

Well if either of you ever need a hunting partner I do have a truck!

I'll let you know when the time comes. If you have a truck and a sheep spot, perhaps we can work something out.

Let me get some time in on the cub, though...particularly off-strip time. Otherwise you'd be getting not such a good deal.

That reminds me of a story... I was stationed in Wichita Falls texas and some buddies and I decided to head out to one of the local bars for some drinks. Being responsible young adults we selected DD's and all was going to plan. As we prepared to leave the sober drivers took the keys of the various vehicles including my budies new mitsu eclipse. Well my buddy climed into the pass seat of his eclipse and off we wen't. About half way home the DD ran a red light and got hit hard in the left front fender. I got to the accident just in time to hear my extremely enebriated friend look at the DD and say "If I wanted it wrecked I would have driven it myself". Moral: before you designate someone as the driver (or pilot) make sure they CAN DRIVE!
    I'll work on finding a good sheep spot you work on the flying and perhaps when I get that sheep down I will call you on a sat phone and you can pick me up, I would be happy to tell you exactly where I got it on the flight back.

Brian,
    An AVGAS tank in a trailer will save you a dollar a gallon on avgas and will give you the capability of working from a roadside where there is not an airfield. The dollar a gallon thing goes a long way when you start thinking of your GPH burn rate X the number of HRS you fly a year. My Champ burns 7.5 GPH and I flew 135 hrs last year that equaled 1012.5 gallons of fuel that I purchased for 1 dollar a gallon less than at the airport. If you go fly out of someplace like Tok or Talkeetna then the savings just go up. Just my $0.02
    Drew

Thanks for the tip, Drew. This is probably at least a few years off, though it's good to think about. I'll certainly spend plenty of time in the cub this year, but I'm not in the mood to do something foolish until I have practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. Eventually, though...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Drew. This is probably at least a few years off, though it's good to think about. I'll certainly spend plenty of time in the cub this year, but I'm not in the mood to do something foolish until I have practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. Eventually, though...

Brian:

Am I reading that right? You'll do something foolish after you practiced, practiced, practiced, etc?

lol

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Brian:

Am I reading that right? You'll do something foolish after you practiced, practiced, practiced, etc?

lol

kingfisherktn
    Apparently it came across that way, eh? What I meant is that it would be foolish to try some off-strip hunting before I had hundreds of hours in the cub...not so foolish afterwards.

Just as important as total time in the cub is time in the cub before hunting season. To really be proficient in any aircraft one needs regular time in that type. Doubtful one can get the edge he needs for good off airport work by flying once or twice a week.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!