Thread: Small Base Dies

Default Small Base Dies

I have a Benelli R-1 in 300 Win Mag. I would like to reload for it. It is an autoloader. I have reloaded before using collet dies, I have never did any full length stuff. Anyone have any expertise in this area??? Need some help..Would be happy to pay someone to show me how to get it setup, I'm sure I can get it done after that. I have a set of small base dies, are these the way to go, or do I need a different set of dies. I'm aware of the belted mag case bulge challenges.

Thanks Steve

Default Reloading

Your small base dies are the right dies for the job of loading for an autoloader.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

steve,

I am not familiar with the Benelli R-1. The issue is how tight is the chamber on your rifle? The handloading I have done for auto-loaders has been in service rifle competition (none of these cartridges were belted magnums). I have used a mix of small-base and standard-dimension FL resizing dies with good results. In any event, I selected the type die based upon the type chamber for a specific rifle.

The ammunition you produce should be a smooth slip fit in the chamber, with definite clearance, and any tightness or binding has to be eliminated. Match the dimension of your size die to the chamber on your rifle. A tight, match chamber may require a small-base sizer for best results. If it is a more generous chamber it will probably do well with standard FL dies.

Sorry, cannot be of direct assistance in helping you setup as I try to stay away from FBKS during the winter. Spent enough nights sleeping out in the cold and snow to last me a lifetime. Figure I got misery about perfected by now. Hopefully, someone experienced with the idiosyncrasies in handloading for auto-loading belted cartridges will join in and enlighten us all on the specific challenges.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Stid,

I live in Fairbanks and would be glad to show you what I can with regard to system set up and technique. I haven't had a reloading class yet this winter. That would be an excuse to clean off my bench. You're welcome to come over some evening or weekend for a how-to, start to finish, set up and run sort of session.

But, without a road trip for either one of us, if you tell me what you have for dies and press, I can give you a detailed process of setting things up.

You have a set of small base full length sizing/seating dies, right. You'll need a shell holder for the belted mag case head, (Redding #6) a good press, and a lube pad and case lube or some imperial lube (to be applied with the fingers) some means of priming, either with the press or a separate tool and some accurate means of weighing the powder.

Drop me a PM if you want, we link up and discuss it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Rcbs

Get you some RCBS Small Base Dies or just the small base sizer die the bullet seaters are the same.

and shoot me a email or call I am off for the next 2 weeks

Default Rcbs

I'm going to be using RCBS gear. A rock chucker press. Already have RCBS small base dies. Going to get a new case trimmer, and a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500.
    I will need the pad for the lube, any comments on the above gear. Will be reloading 22-250, 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 300 win mag.
    Plan on using collet dies for all but the 300 win mag.

Steve

Thumbs up Cal

Suggest a Digitial Caliber for COL of loads.

and a RCBS bullet puller

I am very fond of the Hornady seater die with the floating bullet seater...sweet.