Thread: Ibep

Question Ibep

I was reading a thread on bow hunting the haul road and someone asked if he had a IBEP certification. What is this and who needs it.

Default Ibep

International Bowhunter Education Program. I believe anyone wishing to hunt using archery must take and pass one of these courses. You can call ADF&G to get in a class. 907-267-2187-www.huntereducation.alaska.gov Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricL
    International Bowhunter Education Program. I believe anyone wishing to hunt using archery must take and pass one of these courses. You can call ADF&G to get in a class. 907-267-2187-www.huntereducation.alaska.gov Eric
    You are 100% correct. Alaska Fish and game conducts the course. There are very few areas in the state where you can hunt with a bow without the card. Season is close and trying to get a spot into a class might be hard.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Classes

I had a friend try to get in one of the Fairbanks classes and it was full. I would get a hold of Fish and Game ASAP.

I thought it was the same as with muzzleloaders, where you only have to have the class if you are going to hunt in one of the special hunts. If you're going to use your muzzleloader during the regular season, no class is required. For that matter, you can't use a scope during the special hunts but you can during the regular season. I could be wrong about IBEP, but it's worth getting an official clarification.

Default rules

BrownBear was correct. Attached is a copy of the regs from fish and game.

"In addition to the basic hunter education certification, the Division of Wildlife Conservation offers Alaskan hunters opportunities to become certified bow and muzzleloader hunters. Bow hunting classes certify more than 800 Alaskan hunters each year. A bow hunter certificate is required in Alaska to hunt in bow-hunting-only areas of the state. Many draw hunts near urban areas are for bowhunting only and hunters may not draw a tag unless they have successfully completed a bow hunting certification course approved by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game."

Eric

The bowhunter certification is required if you want to hunt the Haul Road/Dalton corridor as it is designated an archery only area. If you want to hike the five miles to where you could use a rifle (a general hunt, open area) and use your bow there, then you don't need the cert.

Just like down here on the Kenai pen. If you want to bow hunt during the early archery moose season (Aug. 10 - Aug. 17), you need the certification. However, if you hunt with a bow during the normal general hunt season (Aug. 20 - Sept. 20) then you would not need the archery certification.