Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338WM 50 years young

Default 338WM 50 years young

Thought I would dedicate a thread to the great 338Win Mag

"Introduced in 1958, the .338 Winchester Magnum has plenty of fans as well as its share of detractors. Some say it is our all time greatest elk, moose, and grizzly cartridge, without being totally ridiculous when used for hunting deer size game. Others say with equal fervor that the .338 generates more recoil than most hunters can handle and its power is excessive for all except dangerous game. There's no law that says the .338 Magnum can't be used on deer and the like, but the cartridge is seen at its best when used on bigger game. Whether or not the .338 Magnum is actually a better elk and moose cartridge than the .300 Magnums, or even the 7mm Magnums, will long be debated, but when large carnivorous game becomes the topic of conversation all such arguments quickly end".

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...46/ai_65574867

Tell us why it's one of the greatest of all time!

The .338WM is a heck of a nice cartridge for Alaska hunting. I only have a big game hunting rifle, and that's a Ruger M77 MK-II in .338WM, and it has done an excellent job for me since I bought it back in 1992, so much so that I have been a one gun hunter since.

Great cartridge, great history and will be around for a lot longer. Good balance in velocity and bullet selection and chambered in many different factory rifles. Yes, one of the great cartridges of the 20th century.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bought my first 338wm this past year. I've yet to use it on a bear, but it got some action backing up a friend on his first moose. As for the recoil, I find that it's a fine gun to shoot at the range. Yeah, I feel it a bit...but I'm pretty pleased with it.

Default 338 Wm

It's my favorite caliber for what I like to hunt. From deer to moose and for bear protection, in Alaska and at home in Washington. It's the quintessential elk cartridge to my way of thinking. And vesatile too, It can be loaded from 185 grain Barnes to 275 grain Swifts, If the largest animal I hunted was deer I would probably vote for the 280 REM another one of my favorites cartridge. I hope I'm around to usher in 100 years with the 338 WM.

Woody

Default .338 Win? Practical versatility?

I'm afraid I can't snipe at the glowing comments posted on this thread. The .338 is probably the most versatile cartridge for the 1 gun hunter of big game. I have had this discussion with various friends and they complain that the .338 isn't useful for varmints, whereas the '06 can be made to be. Fine, though I could probably find a way to force the .338 into varmint hunting, I do so little of that that I could easily forego it in favor of the love of my life...big game.

Most .338s are versatile in the loads they'll work well with. I have a friend whom I hunt with at least once a year. He hunts everything with a .338; bear, moose, elk, deer, and occasionally, when we can draw a tag, antelope. He is sufficiently successful in his hunting to make me envious. He owns only the .338 Win. caliber Ruger, and a .44 mag. Redhawk. I wouldn't call him under-gunned, and his freezer is always full.

50 years of success. Go .338!
    Jack.

Talking about small fur bearer: Back in 1993 or so, a trapper friend of mine had a pretty large marmot trapped by a leg, still kicking around. He jokingly said, "I bet you can't hit that marmot for me with your .338..." We were standing next to our ATVs about 100 yards back, so I leaned over my ATV's handle bar, and shot the marmot with a 230-grain FS. To our surprise, the bullet put a tiny hole through the chest area, leaving a pelt in perfect shape. I believe that the bullet didn't have any resistance passing through, so it could not expand. But the same bullet type has killed a few moose for me, although I have only recovered one bullet from moose so far. I stopped using FS bullets once Combined Technology switched from Lubalox to moly.

Default A-Bolt

I bought my first new 338WM last fall and have yet to put it together. It is a Browning Stainless Stalker. My "first rifle" was a 300WM which I used for 10 or so years and sold it to an older Brother some 23 years ago to make a truck payment to the bank. I said back then that I probably wouldn't ever need to buy another magnum but when the sales were out at a shop which was closing its doors here in town and I couldn't pass up the chance to have one in the 338WM. If the 338WM is any thing like the 300WM for me then it should do fine. I'm looking forward to using the 338WM. I don't know if it will ever replace my 308Winchester though. I won't know until I try it!

I might be wrong but didn't they call the 338 winmag the "Alaskan" back when it 1st came out? I think I read that in Elmer Keith's Gun Notes. Well any way the 338 is the perfect caliber for AK. I backed a buddy up on a moose, he was shooting 300 weatherby / 180 noslers I was shooting my Ruger MkII 338/ 250 noslers we recovered slugs from both guns. He was so impressed with the mass difference that he bought a 338 within 6 mos after that. I know a 300 will kill anything in AK but it sure is a nice feeling to not feel under gunned for any situation.

I had almost the same experience as RAYfromAK except it was with a caribou. Shot it @ about 100yds with a 250 nosler, a finger sized hole in through the heart and out, I was able to eat the heart despite being shot, I hate wasting meat. Love the .338, and can't think of a better setup than a Ruger MK II with iron sights for backup purposes. Some of my snob buddies like to trash talk Ruger's but I've never had a problem filling the freezer with mine, and their stainless is "more stainless" than any of the other rifles I've been around.

Here's to another 50 yrs of the .338 wm, I wonder how many of the "new & improved" calibers will make it to 20?

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    I might be wrong but didn't they call the 338 winmag the "Alaskan" back when it 1st came out?

That's what Winchester called the model 70 the .338 was unveiled in. I've always felt that was one time when they got it right with the release of the .338 unlike some of the other SNAFU's such as Remingtons SAUM line or Winchesters WSSM line.

Woody

[quote=Jack Morgan;200500]I'm afraid I can't snipe at the glowing comments posted on this thread. The .338 is probably the most versatile cartridge for the 1 gun hunter of big game. I have had this discussion with various friends and they complain that the .338 isn't useful for varmints, whereas the '06 can be made to be. Fine, though I could probably find a way to force the .338 into varmint hunting, I do so little of that that I could easily forego it in favor of the love of my life...big game.

The 338 WM did an excellent job on a 44# lynx tom for me, at 208 steps. 1 shot 1 kill. And without an extreme amount of damage to the pelt.
    I've used it on whitetail without as much meat damage as my 30-06.It's taken several hogs and a caribou, no complaints.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a 338 WINMAG from Howa and like it. I was born and raised in Nebraska and never would have guessed I needed one but here I am in Alaska and it seems perfect. I remember my neighbor in Nebraska very wealth and has killed almost every big game animal on the planet. One day he calls and asks if I want some more deer meat. I tell him sure and he brings over a whitetail doe. It look like someone threw a softball through its chest. I was like **** what did you shoot this with a howitzer? He was no a 338 winmag b/c he said he did not like chasing wounded deer. I shot my 1st deer with a 223 and the second one with a 22-250. I was impressed with the hole it left.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    I have a 338 WINMAG from Howa and like it. I was born and raised in Nebraska and never would have guessed I needed one but here I am in Alaska and it seems perfect. I remember my neighbor in Nebraska very wealth and has killed almost every big game animal on the planet. One day he calls and asks if I want some more deer meat. I tell him sure and he brings over a whitetail doe. It look like someone threw a softball through its chest. I was like **** what did you shoot this with a howitzer? He was no a 338 winmag b/c he said he did not like chasing wounded deer. I shot my 1st deer with a 223 and the second one with a 22-250. I was impressed with the hole it left.
    If you load the .338 with a 180-grain (or so) bullet, it can cause quite a lot of damage to game such as small deer and such, specially at closer ranges. But it can also shoot quite flat at long range with this bullet. Federal loads a couple of 180 grainers around 3120 fps at the muzzle. It should be an outstanding load for antelope or deer at long range, but it probably destroys too much meat at close range.

Default 338 recipies

What are some of your pet loads. I would think that it is best at 225 grains or larger and what about reduced loads. Does reduced velocity defeat the purpose of the 338?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default No flies on the 338. I like it.

I think the 338 Win. Mag. is a Magnum only because it has a belted case, and they named it that way.

It's just a bigger cartridge. A 250 grain bullet at 2700 fps has the same ballistics as a 30-06 180 grain. It is not over-bore, like many, perhaps most, Magnums.

You can use a lighter bullet, for a flatter trajectory, and less recoil. If you load them down some, you will have less recoil and expansion, and still have plenty of umph for smaller game.

I have some loaded, but they no longer make the Nosler 180 grain BTs. They seem to have replaced it with the 180 grain ABs, which are more expensive. I'll be trying the Sierra 225 grain boat tails, at low end velocity. I want to make another deer load.

The load I like best is 67 grains of H 4350 and a 250 grain Hornady RN, at 2600 + fps, and it's accurate in my rifle. I don't often use my 338 for hunting, but it makes plenty good Bar protection.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The new load Ihave been working up is a 210TSX w/ 72 grains(MAX load) of H4350 moving right a long at about 2950 and am thinking it will be downright impressive on anything I squeeze the trigger at. Shoots great in my Ruger too. I also have some 250 grain A-Frames w/ 73 grains of RL19 loaded up that are flying at about 2670 and I know they will do some damage, oh and they shoot quite well too.

I like the 338 WM because it is so versatile. I hunt everything in Alaska with the 225 grain Barnes X bullet. It's nice to have one pet load to use for all hunting applications. It's just convenient and gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    What are some of your pet loads. I would think that it is best at 225 grains or larger and what about reduced loads. Does reduced velocity defeat the purpose of the 338?
    Reduced velocity is just fine, specially if you shoot within 250 yards. It's easier on your shoulder, and a relatively soft and heavy bullet from 250 to 300 grains have the potential for deeper penetration. The reason why is because the reduced velocity allows the bullet to expand less.

The Federal (factory) 180 grainers travel fast, but the idea is to use such on game as deer and pronghorn at longer ranges. At 400 yards, with the .338 sighted at +1.4" (100 yards), a Federal 180-grain Partition drops to -19.1" and still packing around 2,160 fps. So, for small game at long range those lightweight bullets work well. I would not use such lightweight bullets for Alaska hunting, however.

I only use bullets from 225 grains and up. Pet loads can be difficult, because not all barrels shoot the same. I drive a 225-grain TSX to nearly 2,800 fps using RL-19, or a 250-grain Partition with RL-22 for 2670 fps. I am certain that I could drive the Partition faster, but I don't like to push the envelope.

Default My favorite.

I bought my first .338 Win. Mag. in 1975. For the last 33 years I have stuffed it with 250 grain bullets. Any of the good 210 to 250 grain bullets that are available will do the job in Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast