Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTN School Teachers

Default ATTN School Teachers

A while back there was a thread about hunter's ed. and I posted info. about a class offered to students in the Middle School I teach at. There seemed to be others interested in a similar course in their school programs. There is an educator class offered Feb. 29 6-10 PM, March 1 and 15 9 AM - 6:00 PM through ADF&G that can help with getting something started in your school. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you what I know.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Instructors

I am an instructor too. And we need more of us to help reduce the pressure on the few we have. Go and get the certification anyways, even if you do not want to teach. Just showing up to assist with the setup, help at the range, handing out papers and picking up is a real help.

So if you feel you can help at all, go get the certification. You never know, you just might help make a difference in someones life. It's painless too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Are they offering these instructor classes in the valley? If so, I would be interested.

I would be interested I tech at BHS

Default From Hunter Ed.

We are having Hunter Ed Instructor training on Feb 29th (policy training 6pm to 10pm) then class training on March 1st (9am to 5pm). I am also setting up a Bow Ed Instructor training for March 28th (policy training 6pm to 10pm) then class training on March 29th from 8am to 4pm or so. These classes will be held at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range in Anchorage . Make sure the interested folks send in an application ASAP (they can download them off our Fish and Game website) so we can get them in the class.
    If you can't find the forms on the Hunter Ed. web page I can attach them to an email if you PM me.

Default reimbursement?

Are they offering reimbursements for those of us who would be coming in from the bush? I am interested in the hunter ed not the bowhunting.

Default class idea

Wonder if it would be possible to offer, at the middle or high school level, a course on Alaska Outdoors. The class might cover survival, gear selection for hiking and camping, fitness, plant identification, land navigation, first aid, GPS useage, animal identification, habitat, and a hunter ed certification course. The class would/should entail outdoor activities as part of the cirriculum.
    The class would not focus entirely on hunting, but on a more complete understanding and enjoyment of Alaska outdoor activities.
    I know West Valley in Fairbanks had an outdoor skills class that included making snow caves. My son took the course and got some good things out of it.
    We see kids spending more time indoors in a sedentary lifestyle. Not all of them are into physical education perse, and might enjoy a class like this. Yes, I do understand current budget cuts and constraints in school systems, just thinking outloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Wonder if it would be possible to offer, at the middle or high school level, a course on Alaska Outdoors. The class might cover survival, gear selection for hiking and camping, fitness, plant identification, land navigation, first aid, GPS useage, animal identification, habitat, and a hunter ed certification course. The class would/should entail outdoor activities as part of the cirriculum.
    The class would not focus entirely on hunting, but on a more complete understanding and enjoyment of Alaska outdoor activities.
    I know West Valley in Fairbanks had an outdoor skills class that included making snow caves. My son took the course and got some good things out of it.
    We see kids spending more time indoors in a sedentary lifestyle. Not all of them are into physical education perse, and might enjoy a class like this. Yes, I do understand current budget cuts and constraints in school systems, just thinking outloud.

I took a PE class like that once, it was pretty fun, although I spent a lot of time waxing my skis and running on my own during class because the ski coach was the teacher, everyone else seemed to like it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default More info

Reimbursement for Fisherman222 on Hunter Ed training it depends on where you live. If he is in South-central Alaska you can probably get approval for reimbursed for the training. If he is closer to Fairbanks then he will have to wait till they have a training there to attend and get reimbursed.

AK River Rat There are several Middle Schools that are now offering a class like he proposes. Wilderness Safety is not taught by Mirror Lake Middle School , Golden view Middle School, Central Middle School , and Mears Middle School . It was taught for years at Soldotna Middle School but has not been taken out.

Some of the charter schools are also jumping on board such as Stellar. Academy Charter School in the valley just completed an intensive archery week.

They did the practical at Rabbit Creek shooting bows on the walk through course. They also spent a day out at Fletchers Archery shooting bows so got a whole different array of experience. Some of the older kids are taking a bow building and arrow building class.

*** The above information is from a friend "in the know". I just re-worded it a tad because that person can't really past because of office policy.***

Default Curriculumn

I have just written the curriculum on such a course. If anyone wants it, PM me with an email and I will send you a copy.

I covered:
    Hunter Ed.
    Archery Ed.
    Boy Scout Field book (which covers all the camping, hiking, cooking...)
    Boating Saferty
    Kayaking
    Avalanche safety
    Knots
    Drown Proofing
    First Aid
    Map and Compass reading
    and some more...

Default bethel

Dave i would be coming in from Bethel, Probably wouldn't work out for me as i will be in teh weekend before for fur auction, but would be nice if i could get another trip in the next week to become a certified instructor.

Default great course

Dave, with courses like that maybe I'll head back to school. What about bear proofing, ways to "tread lightly", and/or non hunting related items that pertain to outdoor experience?
    Is your curiculum based on a 1/4 or semester? Pretty cool to have the support to do something like that I bet.

Default Akrr

Still writing on it tonight but the back is messed up from shoveling the roof. Bear safety is in there.

Wonder if I can cover shrimping --- maybe take 2-3 kids out everyother day to pull pots and have the school pay me to do so..... hummm.... That would help on the price of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post

AK River Rat There are several Middle Schools that are now offering a class like he proposes. Wilderness Safety is not taught by Mirror Lake Middle School , Golden view Middle School, Central Middle School , and Mears Middle School . It was taught for years at Soldotna Middle School but has not been taken out.
    I think Dave meant "now" rather than "not."

Carnivore

This is very similar to the class offered at Mirror Lake Middle School.

Wonder if I can cover shrimping --- maybe take 2-3 kids out everyother day to pull pots and have the school pay me to do so..... hummm.... That would help on the price of gas.
    I am not sure how strong you PTSA is, but I know ours is always looking for ways to help out. Just a thought.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wink Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I think Dave meant "now" rather than "not."

Carnivore
    Sorry, I posted someone elses email and did not read it well enough. Sorry for the oop's.

Default Not a problem

Sorry, I posted someone elses email and did not read it well enough. Sorry for the oop's.
    Not a problem Dave, I just want to clarify it.

Default Outdoor Skills

I've taught a class called Outdoor Skills here in Nome off and on for 20+ years. I'm also a Hunter Ed instructor. It's always been my favorite class, but can only be done with 15 or so students. Fall semester is the shooting unit, map, compass & GPS work, and fall survival. (Shelters, fires, etc.)
    We actually have our own .22 rifles for the shooting portion. I only allow two shooters at a time and I hand out the ammo. We have used my 257 Roberts and 30-06 for center fire rifles. The school paid for the ammo. But nobody has ever touched a rifle until they get a perfect score on the test. Handwritten, even the punctuation must be correct. Some years we have purchased reindeer from a local herder and went hunting. Bye the way, the girls have almost always been the best marksman (markswomen?) They take instruction better. It's a fun field trip. The top two shooters got to do the shooting, but everyone learned about field dressing, quartering and packing. Back at school we butchered, wrapped and did some cooking as well. One year we sold 20 gallons of reindeer stew at BB games and made enough money to buy a shotgun.
    Spring semester, the main focus is winter survival,(thermal shelters in the snow) trapping, and cross country skiing, although one year we did a lot of crabbing. We have caught as many as 25 fox by the town dump. Once the snow melted, some archery to end the year. Oh, and two "Critter Reports" each semester. One each from Alaskan Marine mammals, birds, fish, and mammals.

i went to school in iowa and hunters ed. was part of the 7th grade p.e. curriculum, we also shot bows, this was before the matthews archery in school program, we also went fishing every year. is there anything like this in alaska or was i the only fortunate one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast