Thread: Mathews S2 Review

Default Mathews S2 Review

Posted this on another site, but thought it would would fit here too.

Well I took a drive and went to a dealer that had the S2 in stock and shot it against the Dren and the DXT (as well as a number of Hoyts). All the bows were at 70 pounds and 28 to 29 inches in draw length. On first sight, the S2 looks like what I think a bow should look like. The Dren looks cool and is light. The DXT looks to small and is very light.
    First off they all shot well. The DXT is very smooth and has almost no vibration, the other two a little more. The draw cycles are nice on all three and all had a nice solid wall to settle in to. The grip on all three seemed to be better than my MQ1 grip. It seems to be a bit narrower.
    My goal today was to get an impression of the S2 againt the others. Overall the S2 stood up very well.
    The only thing I did not like about the DXT was the short axle to axle length. At my draw length it puts the peep in a location that I am not use to (I shoot a MQ1 now).
    Between the Dren and the S2 it is a tough call. I can not quite put a finger on it, but I like the S2 more. On the down side it is a bit heavier than the Dren, but that is the only drawback I could tell while shooting it.
    For functionallity, the S2 get a couple of extra points becasue it can accept a two piece quiver where the Dren and DXT can only mount the one piece. I live in Western Washington where the brush is real thick. I like the two peice quiver option. If I had to pick today, I would go with the S2. I still have a couple more weeks to make up my mind. Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Default why?

Why leave your beloved MQ1? I like my MQ1 that I bought 4 years ago so much that I just bought another so I could have one up where I work (2weeks on 2weeks off). I see no reason to get one of those new ones when the one I have does everything I need it to. Heck if you just don't want your MQ1 anymore just send it to me and I'll give it a good home

Thumbs up

Did you give the Switchback a go? Seems like that would of fit the bill for you. I went with the shorter Switchback XT from a Q2XL and it took a little time to adjust to the shorter ATA, but in the long run I adjusted and find I actually like it better. I'm going to hang on to this XT for a while to come, it fits just right.

Default response

aufevermike, I love my MQ1. I have no plans to get rid of it. It has served me well over the years. My wife wanted to buy me a present for putting up with me for 20 years of marriage. She wanted a sparkley rock and got it. Me, I asked for a new bow.

Jerod, my understanding is that the S2 is just a remake of the SB. The only difference that I have been able to learn is that the S2 is a bit lighter, has a different idler wheel, and a new camo paint job. If you know of any other differences, please let me know.

Default A Slight Difference...

Quote Originally Posted by dtl2441 View Post

Jerod, my understanding is that the S2 is just a remake of the SB. The only difference that I have been able to learn is that the S2 is a bit lighter, has a different idler wheel, and a new camo paint job. If you know of any other differences, please let me know.
    The S2 is about 2 inches longer ATA and about 1/2" shorter brace height. Otherwise, there ain't much difference.

Default S2, Switchback and Switchback XT

Here are the stats from the Mathews site
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default S2

Ok, I did it. I went and shot the bows again and left the shop with a new S2. Now I have to put all the accessories on it. Pretty happy with the new bow.