Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchor question

Default Anchor question

What would be a good all around anchor for a 22 foot boat in PWS? I currently have a 11# Bruce style anchor with 150’ combination chain & 3/8" nylon three strand rode, but considering using this setup for backup only.
    I may install a windless later on so want a windless compatible system.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Anchor

I would say that your anchor in fine, I take at least 600 ft of rode. I fish 300 to 400 ft all the time and use a minimum of 500 ft to anchor at this depth. I would also have another complete anchor and rode. Just in case my main gets hung and I have to cut it away. I use an anchor bouy to raise it and reel the extra rode up onto a plastic hose reel.

Steve

Default Crusing Guide to Prince Williams Sound

They did a very good job of explaining Anchoring Systems, along with different anchorages around the sound, the west Marine Catalog did ok too.
    I use a 28' boat anchor with 20' of chain (key factor) and 300 foot of 3/8 rope. I don't ever plan on anchoring in water deeper than 200'. I added a capstain last year, but bought a pot puller type, which is a fast retreive, (150' p/m) verses 50'p/m. So I have to pull my pots @600' on the bow feeding a rope back to the stern, and a bubby lifts the pot!

Red face chain important as anchor

I'm assuming you are interested in an anchoring system for safe overnight anchoring in coves and bays. I have a Seasport 24 and found the best combo for my boat is a 22# bruce with 40 ft of high test chain. I initially had less chain (15 ft) but found the rode and anchor would get considerable strain on it in a significant blow. The chain greatly dampens the strain on the anchor. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16# for a 22 footer. You will sleep much better with an anchoring setup you are confident will hold. In big blows a second anchor or stern line to shore cuts down on the swing and strain.

I did a few years of hand pulling but eventually installed an electric windlass. It is one of the best additions I've added so far. I mostly drift and jig for halibut so don't use my anchor system for deep fishing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
    I'm assuming you are interested in an anchoring system for safe overnight anchoring in coves and bays. I have a Seasport 24 and found the best combo for my boat is a 22# bruce with 40 ft of high test chain. I initially had less chain (15 ft) but found the rode and anchor would get considerable strain on it in a significant blow. The chain greatly dampens the strain on the anchor. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16# for a 22 footer. You will sleep much better with an anchoring setup you are confident will hold. In big blows a second anchor or stern line to shore cuts down on the swing and strain.

I did a few years of hand pulling but eventually installed an electric windlass. It is one of the best additions I've added so far. I mostly drift and jig for halibut so don't use my anchor system for deep fishing. Good luck!
    Thinks, this is what I’m looking for; I have no desire to anchor up while fishing in 300 feet. Just looking for an adequate anchor system I can sleep with without staying up on anchor watch all night.

Thanks,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Windlass

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
    I'm assuming you are interested in an anchoring system for safe overnight anchoring in coves and bays....

What electric windlass did you get or would recommend. I am considering one for my 24' Tolman. Thanks in advance.

Default Here is what I use

I used to use a bruce style 22# anchor and 600' or rode with 25' 1/4 in galvanized chain. It would drag in Homer in the harsh tides. It broke lose once in PWS fishing. Now that is my back up anchor. I bought a 16# I think anchor that is the angle type with the middle shank that can rotate. I use it everywhere and never looked back. I did add a 5' section of 3/8 galvanized chain to the anchor then everything else. I have a shackle connecting everything and zip tie the pin. Easy to change anchor if I need. Still drags a little in Homer on certain tide but not nearly as much, pretty much hardly at all but a little. Never had any more trouble out in PWS, Whittier side. That bruce anchor, you just never know how it lands. The other style is gonna grab no matter what, even if in rocks, even though it doesn't say it is rated for it. Seen one a guy used out of Seward. It was severly bent after it got stuck in some rocks, He said if it was the bruce style he would have lost the rode and all. I still went with the bruce but two or three seasons later changed to the other style. Got them both at west marine. Only down side is if you want a really heavy one they get huge. I think that is why I went with the 16# and extra heavy chain. I like it. I use a bouy ball set up to pull anchor. Gets a little tricky in small bays but if really small pull by hand. That is where I would recommend 1/2" rode. I am gonna upgrade and keep the extra on the boat. Dewies has nice anchor rode for a good price. 3/8 is plenty though if you want to save some money. Just easier to grabe 1/2 or 5/8 if you got the room.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I used to use a bruce style 22# anchor and 600' or rode with 25' 1/4 in galvanized chain. It would drag in Homer in the harsh tides. It broke lose once in PWS fishing. Now that is my back up anchor. I bought a 16# I think anchor that is the angle type with the middle shank that can rotate. I use it everywhere and never looked back. I did add a 5' section of 3/8 galvanized chain to the anchor then everything else. I have a shackle connecting everything and zip tie the pin. Easy to change anchor if I need. Still drags a little in Homer on certain tide but not nearly as much, pretty much hardly at all but a little. Never had any more trouble out in PWS, Whittier side. That bruce anchor, you just never know how it lands. The other style is gonna grab no matter what, even if in rocks, even though it doesn't say it is rated for it. Seen one a guy used out of Seward. It was severly bent after it got stuck in some rocks, He said if it was the bruce style he would have lost the rode and all. I still went with the bruce but two or three seasons later changed to the other style. Got them both at west marine. Only down side is if you want a really heavy one they get huge. I think that is why I went with the 16# and extra heavy chain. I like it. I use a bouy ball set up to pull anchor. Gets a little tricky in small bays but if really small pull by hand. That is where I would recommend 1/2" rode. I am gonna upgrade and keep the extra on the boat. Dewies has nice anchor rode for a good price. 3/8 is plenty though if you want to save some money. Just easier to grabe 1/2 or 5/8 if you got the room.
    The "other style" of anchor you are refering to is a Danforth anchor, about the only thing that will keep them from grabbing is grass. Assuming the anchor is the correct size for the boat and you have 10' of chain, if you let out your anchor rope 3x the water depth they will almost never drag.

Default thanks for name

couldn't remember. My boat is 22' aluminum. Forgot that part also. Works good and recommend it.

Default Chain Chain Chain Chain!

A 22# Bruce (claw) with 25' to 30' of 3/8 chain and the proper amount of scope will anchor you in the worst of tides and winds. The Bruce (claw) is great because of the release. The Sound has a rock or two and at some point in time you will hook-up better than you want. As long as you have your release set-up, the odds are in your favor to retrieve your anchor.

Here is an anchoring tip for those that do not know........

If you are going to anchor on top of a rock pile to fish, use less scope. Any anchor will hold in a rock pile, the problem becomes your chain wrapping around or falling down into a crevass and then the boat swinging around in the change of the tide. The rockier the less scope.

Now for sand, such as out of Homer. Scope, Scope, Scope, Scope! The bigger the tide the more scope you will need. Again, the more chain the better. No anchor will hold in sand if it is not able to lay in a flat position. You can have a 20' skiff with a 50# anchor of any type and you will drag if your anchor is not laying down in it's proper position. Here is an example: On a minus tide in Cook Inlet in 180' of water I will let out close to 500' of line to ensure a hook-up and ensure I'll stay (Claw or Danforth). Sometimes I can hook-up with less but not always.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    What would be a good all around anchor for a 22 foot boat in PWS? I currently have a 11# Bruce style anchor with 150 combination chain & 3/8" nylon three strand rode, but considering using this setup for backup only.
    I may install a windless later on so want a windless compatible system.
    I'd go with the next size up in the bruce, have at least 20ft of good heavy chain and go with 1/2" double braid for your anchor line. The double braid snots down real nice in whatever you will store it in and its a lot easier on the hands if hauling by hand.
    I use a 33lb bruce w/ 30ft of chain & have 3/4" double braid on my 28' bowpicker. I was in a good blow in the fall of '06 where it was willy-wahing well over a 100mph and blowing a steady 40-50mph all night long, i never shut my emgine off from 9pm till 4am and was staring out the windows like a mental patient waiting for something to happen. I was way up in a tiny bay and i still drug a bit during the really big gusts. The one thing i know for sure is if i had a danforth style anchor i would of either been doing anchor drills all night or been on a rockpile for sure. Danforths are good if the strain is from the same direction all the time, no swinging, but if your swinging around they just pull out and off you go. The bruce anchors dig right in no matter which way you swing. I know this from lots of time anchoring close in with a lot of boats in bristol bay, copper river flats & PWS. STICK WITH THE BRUCE.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Another vote for the bruce, I'm running a 16# bruce w/ ~30' of 1/4" chain which makes for a combined weight of 40#'s, and 350' of 1/2" line. Honestly I'd prefer to have 600' of line as there are plenty of places in the sound where you'll need to anchor in deeper water to weather out a storm. Honestly 1000' rode isn't unreasonble for the sound, but it's tought to find room on a small boat to store so much line. I plan to add a 16# danforth plus ~20' of chain and a 600' lines as a spare anchor.

I typically drift when fishing, though there are areas where I could see anchoring in upwards or 200' of water and hence need a longer rode.

Ok then, guess Ill be looking for perhaps a 16# bruce with 20 chain and about 300 of double braded line; if my bow storage compartment will hold more line Ill go with 400. Believe most windless require this setup, at least the ones Ive looked at; my 11# bruce will make a good backup with a little added rode.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default anchor line

Seems as if the majority of boaters are using the bruce claw style anchor. How about rope / rod. I used the commercial grade sampson for years and had a few problems with getting blown off the pick. I then went to the 3 strand 5/8" and have not had a problem since. The sampson, while it is great rope, it has very limited stretch. While the 3 strand braided has upto 25% elasticity. Sure made a difference for me.

Default Lewmar Delta Fast Set Anchor

I just purchased a 22lb Lewmar Delta Fast Set Anchor for my new 27ftr. Anyone with experience with those? They seem styled like the Bruce. I will be using 30ft of 1/4 in chain and about 400 ft of 7/16 double braid will fit on the anchor winch.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

I think the only downside to a bruce anchor is that if it gets stuck in the rocks it is stuck for good, a buddy of mine lost 300' of anchor rope because his bruce fouled in some rocks(we think anyway). Over the course of an afternoon we played out line pulled line in, drove over the anchor, around the anchor, we pulled the bow of his 30' boat down about 3' with the anchor winch before the fuse blew but in the end we had to cut the rope, at least with a danforth normally the fluke will bend.

Default Use the release on the Bruce.

I think the only downside to a bruce anchor is that if it gets stuck in the rocks it is stuck for good, a buddy of mine lost 300' of anchor rope because his bruce fouled in some rocks(we think anyway).
    Did you have the release hooked up? It is extremely rare for a Bruce to be lost if you have the release hooked up. If you did, I would venture to say the chain had wedged into crack or wrapped around some rocks.

To carry a 600' shot of line I keep some in my anchor locker and then the rest I lay (coil) into a larger sized milk crate that is held fast to the bow. Once it is all in I have two long bungies I weave over the top to keep it in while traveling. Just a tip.

Happy boating!

I dont know how the anchor was attached (not my boat) besides **** good!

Default They don't make Bruce Anchors anymore!

There are some Bruce anchors available on the market, but they are no longer manufactured.......I tried to no avail to find a 16 lb Bruce but could not..............I bought a Lewmar Claw anchor as the next closest thing to the Bruce...... Wish I had known that before I bought my Bruce anchor roller/mount............it fits the Lewmar claw...........sort of.......but I think there is a better fitting mount for the Lewmar claw than the true Bruce mount.

Default Bruce

There is a company selling new Bruce 16.5 pound anchors on Ebay, only that one size. $159 and $22 UPS ground. I am trying to decide on it or a Delta.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast