Thread: Otter sets?

Default Otter sets?

Anybody care to share some decent otter sets?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Crusty Sez...

About a dozen #2 longsprings in a circle around a couple fresh caught salmon. Place fish on ice in a closed and locked igloo cooler on a boat as a confidence lure. You can do this in almost any harbor in Alaska. Make sure to set some 1/2 empty beer cans out to make your set as attractive as possible. Otters also like beer. Be sure to check local regs.
    Now, go to the local bar. Remember, realism makes good sets!

When you come back to the boat about daybreak, your empties will be crunched in your sprung traps, your fish will be gone, the lock replaced on the cooler, and if you're lucky you might have an otter or two passed out drunk on your deck.

Good Trappin! When you're a little older I'll teach you about Beaver....

will this work for turbine otters too?

Default Otters

I have had luck with many different ways here in AK but the best is once you find the tracks they are as good as caught providing your biggest obstacle is overcome and that is patience and keep the set working. I usually just make two sets per hole if thats what I am setting because they seem to travel in pairs a lot. Set the entry and then make a cubby, bucket or box then just bait it with the preferred for me is really tainted fish so that it is actually liquefied. And make that set within a few feet of that ice hole. Hope that helps I've doubled quite a bit like that. Otter slides are good places too. I always prefer to use a conibear because in my experience an otter fights leg holds hard. Good luck

my problem is that we don't have ice here

Default Akpm

Akpm -

Im still very new to Juneau but I have done some trapping up north before I moved - mostly when I was a kid. Thats why im sure what I saw last spring when fishing in Tee Harbor. I saw a river otter out in the salt. He stayed pretty close to shore, and Im absolutly sure it wasn't a sea otter. I got within a few feet of him. Is this common down here? Im sure the smolt, and dolllies were providing plenty of food, and Im sure thats what drew him in. But what water system did he come from?

according to ADF&G otters down here primarily use salt water for feeding etc. because there is a lot of food. A friend of mine gets most of his otters by cruising beaches with his skiff. Walk any beach for a few miles and you will see some slides

Default otters

I would just try the bucket sets or some type of cubby. Anything with real eye appeal and stench will work as they are weasels which makes them mainly eye site hunters and secondly by nose. Maybe to get there attention to your cubby you could use a number ten can lid on a swivel hanging down by your cubby and that will be what draws them in by site then put something stinky in the cubby. Another great way is canal sets for them with a 330 or on down to a 220 for smaller canals. I have just mainly trapped them where there is ice so I can only offer suggestions on your situations not actual experiences.
    I would say that a fresh water otter could totally survive full time in the ocean you just need to catch them where you can. Good luck!!!

maybe a cubby in the woods near some sign with some herring and a 220, that might work, really I'm hoping to run into one that I can arrow that'd be cool

Default otter sets

Try sets in otter slides where they are sliding from outcroppings into the salt water. These slides or toilets can be found along some outcroppings and prominent points along the shore. smaller snares/ 220s or 48 newhouse should be used. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    maybe a cubby in the woods near some sign with some herring and a 220, that might work, really I'm hoping to run into one that I can arrow that'd be cool

I wouldn't arrow one in a trap. You will end up have to sew it and ruin valuable fur.

Set otter slides, toilets and holes with 330's or 220's. I don't think bucket or cubby sets will work.

Thumbs up Bottom Edge Set

Look into the bottom edge set. Find a bend in a creek where the bank is squared off in the bottom. You can secure a 330 conibear perpindicular to flow of the creek. As an otter travels it hunts along the bottom, working the banks for food. Simply sucure the trap in the path the otter will travel. Many times you can see the moss worn off the rocks of a travel route. If you choose to use a 330 make sure the trigger is set to fire lightly to avoid hip catches. I like submerged sets to avoid catching unwanted land animals. Hope this helps, it works for me. Good Luck
    Pick A Spot

mik....

What kind of land animals are you trying to avoid if I may ask?

Default Submersed Sets

Hunting Dogs. I dont like to set large conibears above water in places that may have an occational rabbit or bird hunter with a dog. I havent had problems and would like to keep it that way. It would take a heck of a dog to go through the ice and get caught in a submerssed conibear. Just peice of mind. Trapping gets limited positive recognition as it is. Just doing my part. Duck flats are good otter habitat too.
    Pick A Spot

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    according to ADF&G otters down here primarily use salt water for feeding etc. because there is a lot of food. A friend of mine gets most of his otters by cruising beaches with his skiff. Walk any beach for a few miles and you will see some slides
    Mik,
    If he goes this route, he shouldn't have too much trouble with dogs. I would never set a conibear above water near a populated area, but wouldn't hesitate where people don't frequent.

Default Agreed

I am with you 110% I have to be in a remote location to set a baited 330 on land. I guess some people think that if there is no one around when making the set then they are remote. Some of the posts in the Fairbanks area make me cringe for trappers. We dont need the conflict. I dont want to hijack this post. Underwatter sets are pretty safe and easy to conceal, even from an educated eye.
    Pick A Spot

yea I won't set a conibear unless its in a tree, a 110 or in the water, I'd rather burry a couple #3 jump traps than try and convince something to walk though a coniber. Maybe one pretty hopeless set with a #2 longspring by some otter sign who knows maybe I'll catch a weasle or something.

I wouldn't set a foothold for otter that is not on a drowner. Otter fight a trap just about as hard as a wolverine, and if you still have him when you get there he will probably have done significant fur damage.

In Juneau you can't trap within 1/4 mile of the beach along the road system. So you should be in an area way from people anyway. If you set big traps like 330's I would be double sure you are away from any dog walkers. This town has too many people out to get trappers.
    That being said, go find where the otter are coming out of the salt water. Set the trails they use. They are even better if they are going to a toilet. Be sure to secure the trap well. I use 3/32 aircraft cable with at least two swivels. I also would not use a foothold for otter unless on a drowner. I would also set multiple traps on the trails they use. Find a spot where there are multiple trails leading to the toilet. Otter often travel in gorups and it is not unusual to catch 2-3 per set this way. Once when the stars were lined up just right I caught 7 otter in 10 traps set on the biggest toilet I had ever seen. This of course was a freak thing. Also have patience as otter sometimes take a month or so to return to some toilets. That has been my experience here anyway.

John