Thread: Wasilia Gun Show Saturday

Default Wasilia Gun Show Saturday

I went to up to the show arriving at approx. 9:30; most of the crowd appeared to be already there. I've got to get up earlier next year!

My general impression is that there were fewer occuppied table and less gun dealers and more non-gun items than in past years. This appears to be the trend in the lower 48 for the last 10 years or so.

There were quite a few Win 70 Classic SS rifles for sale. One individual had .30-06, .300 WSM, and a .338 WM rifles on the table priced at $600 each but indicated he would take less. These guns were apparently new but no boxes. These were one or two more I noted priced at $600 and some others priced higher. I guess the announcement of renewed production has deflated prices somewhat.

There were a few pre-64 Model 70s. I saw one re-worked pre-64 in 300 H&H that had been dull chrome plated so it looked like SS for $725.

I picked up the only deal I saw on scopes: an 60s or 70s vintage ZEISS Diatal 6 x 42 for $100. Very nice bright optics as we expect from Zeiss. It does have the European rails on the bottom so I've got to figure out how I can mount it.

As always it was good to meet up with many of the people I see at every show and trade lies.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I also managed to make it to the gun show and frankly was quite disappointed. Far fewer tables, inflated prices, limited selection and for some reason I seemed to get stuck behind far more smelly people than last time!? I don’t get it……….what is it about the gun shows that brings out the stinky folks? Is showering before a gun show some taboo bad luck thing that I don’t know about or what!!?? The reloading equipment was nearly nonexistent, I think I only saw 2 RCBS presses, 1 old Dillen and some shot gun presses. Very little casting equipment, but there was the fair assortment of overpriced used dies to ignore. Perhaps they have been replaced by the clothing and cookware……………at least I didn’t see anybody selling beeni babies…………this time. Its starting to look like Auction Arms and Gun Broker aint such a bad deal after all.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I was disappointing as well and share the same opinion on fewer tables, less guns, and high prices. Though, I did see those three stainless model 70s at a reasonable price. The 30-06 was tempting, for sure.

I didnt see alot of deals, wich was okay since I didnt have much money. I did manage to pick up a ruger old army in a trade and I picked up a nice CZ-82 with 2 magazines and a holster in good condition.

I too was dissapointed in the reloading selection and the ammo selection. I did manage to score 7 boxes of 7.62x39 for 15.00 dollars though.

I frequently grease the wheels by making a trade/sell a little sweeter for the other guy. I wish I would see that with other people more often. It kills me that people get hung up by a few dollars. That ammo was the only thing I haggled on cause thats all the money I had.

I think gun shows should be more about deals, trying out different things and less about business. Speeking of that Im glad there were less gun dealers there. I usually skip right over there tables. I did get my CZ from mizzou mule guns though. They had the best one at the best price.

So I shouldn't waste my time going today? I hate to make the drive from Eagle River ( even though it's not THAT far) and be disappointed as well. I was going to look for a carry holster for my new XD-45 coming. I guess I'll skip it this year and get a holster from Boondocks or Sportsmans WH.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

BigHinER, I wasn’t looking for holsters so didn’t really pay much attention. But there was a guy down on the gym floor that was selling locally made leather holsters, belts and the like. From what I saw they looked really nice but I didn’t catch the prices and didn’t notice if he has them for all types of pistols or what. While it is true that this years gun show sucks compared to years past, its still better than scooping snow or watching Sunday TV. And who knows, perhaps you will find that last day special deal on something that strikes your fancy. Just watch out for the stinky people!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Well I guess I'm not in the minority as I believed. Gun shows have really changed over the last several years and I blame the internet. I haven't seen much worthwhile in years price, selection, or quality wise. Reloading components have really gotten scarce.

Default I had a decent time at the show

While I agree that there were far fewer "deals" going on, I felt there were select folks putting out reasonable items at reasonable asking prices. I picked up an AR15 mag for $5 at one table (most were selling for $15 on other tables) and a whole ammo can of H&K LEO AR15 mags (10 of them) at $30 each... These sell for $90 on the web (I looked HARD to make sure I got a deal). Build quality on these is FANTASTIC.

Also got MANY rounds of 223 ammo at about $5 for a box of 20 (HotShot 223 SS109). Sure, you can get it on the net for the same or sometimes a little less, but getting it here is a real hassle...

Speaking of which, anyone have ideas on where to get reasonable bulk 223 packs here in Anchorage?

Lastly, I picked up a Colt AR15 Match rifle with 4 loaded mags and a soft case for $800 total. Associates tell me that was a $1200 rifle, before the accessories and ammo. Not bad. There was a guy on the top floor selling a selection of AR's for between $800 and $900 and he was nearly sold out by Noon when I was there. These were from another manufacturer who I did not recognize (which does not mean much since I am not a big AR guy), but he was still moving them out. I was happy to get the Colt because I knew they did a lot of the builds for LEO and USMI.

I agree that the selection seemed a bit sparse. Lots more rifle stocks and "junk" than in the past. What is the deal with the coin collectors? They had the largest table at the show (I think)...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    ....I don’t get it……….what is it about the gun shows that brings out the stinky folks? Is showering before a gun show some taboo bad luck thing that I don’t know about or what!!??.....
    You didn't know?

Omitting showering for a few weeks before the gun show is a standard tactic to befuddle gun dealers during price negotiations who always price their junk way too high. Such dealers are more willing to cut their ridiculous prices in order to make the odor go away.

What you were smelling were shrewd negotiators........