Thread: Stainless Marlin GG jamming during feed?

Default Stainless Marlin GG jamming during feed?

My buddy down the road has a stainless guide gun that locks up about half the time when we try to load heavy bullets. Still around 2.54 inches.

(Factory ammo) The follower only lets the cartridge move part way back and then locks up the lever. The whole thing has to be pulled apart. This is the second stainless guide gun that I have seen with this problem.

Anyone else have this situation?

Both that I saw were new out of the box rifles. One of my sons had a blued model and no problems. I personaly prefer the Winchester (John Browning) modle of 1886.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well I pulled his gun apart tonight and figured out the problem. Crappy workmanship. The carrier (lefter) has burrs on it. Plus the lever and other interior parts look like they were fitted with a wood rasp.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

From my experience that is typical workmanship for recent manufacture Marlin 1895’s. That is the only Marlin I have so I cant speak for the fit and finish on older or other models. I basically packed my action full of lapping compound and worked the lever about a million times over the course of three nights going to progressively finer grit lapping compounds and it did seem to slick it up a tad. The cowboy action forums have detailed “tuning” tips for these guns, however I have not had the time to really dive into it on mine. Mine is a blued gun and I have not had any feeding issues but was quite surprised the first time I looked down the barrel at the “deep cut Ballard rifling” that looks more like shallow spiral scratches to me………….. surprisingly it shoots pretty well, even with cast bullets. But I do agree that if you take one apart and compare it to a Winchester 94 or a Browning it really looks like a piece of crap as far as the workmanship and attention to detail. Glad to hear you got yours working.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Glad to hear you got yours working.
    Not mine , it belongs to the guy down the road. I am not going to run out and buy one now either...

Default Sight problems

I had a problem with my marlin. When I bought it they put the wrong size front sight on it. I took it to the range and it shot a foot low at 100 yards. I did everything I could to try to figure out what the problem was. I was just about to take it back when somebody told me the first thing you should do with those marlin lever guns, is change out the sights. I put the WWG ghost sight on it with a new front sight and don't have a problem anymore.

You would think the factory would put the right parts on the guns they make.