Thread: Got a "old army" ruger

Default Got a "old army" ruger

I scored a nice ruger old army at the gun show. It came with a starter kit too. I cant wait to shoot it tommorow. Should I put some grease on the nipples? I dont want them to sieze in there like a breech plug does or is that even a concern with this?

I kept my eye open for a small bore rifle but no luck.

Yes, but be careful here. Too much can cause a misfire. I use graphite lube. Dry, and no danger of soaking the cap.

The Ruger Old Army is one tough hombre. Enjoy it.

One thing I learned the hard way was to ensure the cylinders are either sealed with grease or the ball is seated in a wad to seal them. I had my first black powder go chain-fire when I didn't follow this rule.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Wow, just checked out rugers website. These (all old armys) are now discontinued. If this one works out good Ill have to keep my eye out for the stainless 5.5" one. This one I have is blued, 7.5" barrel and adjustable sights.

Yeah, dandy gun. Accurate, reliable and great fun. One of my buds still has young eyes, and he uses one identical to yours for head popping snowshoes to some pretty impressive ranges.

I use Knight breech plug grease on the threads of all nipples. There are others around, but none work better and it's becoming the easiest to find. Just go light with it as H54 says, and it never seems to foul the powder.

Took the pistol out rabbit hunting today. I caught some glimpses of bunnies but didnt get a shot off. I fired 3 cylinders at a little piece of stick in a snow bank. I only shot from about 15-20 yards but real impressed with the accuracy. I just loaded 30 grains of goex and roundballs that came with the gun.

Cant wait to take it to the range and see what it can do!

Default Old ARMY

I purchased 2 of these in stainless steel several years ago to shoot Cowboy Shoots with. They both have 7 1/2" barrels and fixed sights and I love'em. They are very accurate and a hoot to shoot. There are also cylinders available to change these to 45 long colt.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Took the army out to the range. Is was cold but I shot 24 times. 35 grains of Goex, ox-yoke wad and a Hornady .457 ball was a tack driving combo at 20 yards.

I was just kneeling on the ground resting on the bench, I could keep them all in the same glob of holes. Never cleaned it either. I will now of course.

Cool pistol. Sometimes a cap would get stuck between the hammer and spur causing a no fire, but reliable other than that.

The misfires make me wonder if you were using the right size caps, Matt. I haven't owned a pistol in a long time, but as I recall mine used #10 caps rather than #11. Not sure if that's the case for the Ruger, but it's worth checking. Misfires aren't acceptable!

Can you post a pic, Matt?

Love to see that piece...

Id like to post a pic, I took a few. But they are horrible and probably not worth wasting the bandwith on. It was getting frustrating. The pics just kept being dark, not showing detail. I have tried alot to get decent pictures over time with my digital camera (kodak cx7525) but it just does not show well on the computer. Prints come out okay for the most part.

well here is a pic. Got to thinking maybe my computer doesnt show good pictures or something. Let me know what you think

Photo looks fine from here.

Did you happen to use #11 caps rather than #10's when you shot it? I still haven't shaken the cap jam question from my mind.

I used #11 and they seemed like a really snug fit. Some of the caps I had to scrape off after firing they were on there so tight.

That makes me wonder if the nipples weren't changed before you got the gun. #11's would likely be pretty loose on a #10 nipple, even falling off some of the time. So much for the latest brainstorm!

One thing I always do with my revolvers is to pinch the cap so it will be snug on the nipple. This stopped having one or two slipping when cocking the gun. Is the jam you are describing unfired or after the cap has been fired?
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

The jam happens after firing. A chunk of cap usually gets caught between the hammer shank and the slot in the frame it travels in. the hammer falls and everything but just not enough to hit the next cap.

Sounds like the spent cap or a part of it is coming off. Some brands of nipples are more prone to that than others, but I haven't payed close attention since it's not a problem when it happens on a rifle. It makes me wonder if those are orginal nipples or some kind of "hot shot" replacement. Can't imagine Ruger using a nipple that was prone to that. I'm not sure if you could tell a difference by looking, but if you ever see official Ruger replacements, you might compare them with those on your gun. I hate malfunctions of any sort, so that feature of your gun would really make me nuts if it couldn't be fixed.