Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the Jet Boat unstuck?!?

Default Getting the Jet Boat unstuck?!?

I had an interesting experience this past October that has influenced me to buy a winch for the next time I need to get my boat unstuck.

What type of winch do most jetboaters use?

I have looked at a portable gas capstan winch:
    http://www.portablewinch.com/en/

and one that attaches to a chainsaw
    http://www.lewiswinch.com/

Does anyone have experience with these products?

i bought a 2000# CHEAPY WINCH, FROM COSTCO , CHAMPION ATV WINCH. I ALSO CARRY A SLEDGE HAMMER AND 2 4 FOOT LONG STEEL RODS 1 " OR BETTER IN DIAMETER TO HAVE SOMETHING TO WINCH TO.
    FRIEND HAS CHAIN SAW ATTACHMENT HE USES TO MOVE MOOSE WORKS REAL WELL AND PROBABLY WOULD FOR A JET BOAT.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default rope winch

try a rope winch from AIH for the size of your anchor rope. I got 500' of anchor line, figure I should find something to hook to!!! regs say were supposed to have how much anchorline?

Default Winch

I bought one of those rope pulls ($60) and a 600 ft role of 1/2 blue steel rope ($77) from AIH. With the help of a pulley, a shovel and my 6' 4" buddy. I successfully removed my 24' boat from a sand bar (less than 1/2 or water). I had driven it all the way onto this sand bar. Going down stream. I needed to move the entire boat 5 feet to the right. But could only winch down stream (nice log jam as an anchor). I am lucky I had the 600'. Next year I will have 2 rope pulls and 1200' of line. Cheap insurance for around $275.

The more rope and strongest wench you can carry the better. The alternative can be very time consuming. CN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default captnemo..

I have got to ask...how in the heck did you get your boat that far in the bar...I am guessing the tide went out..?

Default Plan A = Rope Puller & Blue Steel Rope

Although I have not had to (got to?) use it yet...........

My Plan "A" is the Masdaam Rope Pulller (put another grabhook on the other end to facilitate using the pulley for 2:1), 600' of 1/2" low stretch Blue Steel, a decent pulley, an 8 foot sling for anchor point, some duckbills & rebar for driving them for anchor point option, or I think it would be easiest to just use a shovel to bury my 16lb claw anchor and chain to winch off of. I plan to also carry 4 each 6ft sections of 3" or 4" SCH80 PVC pipe to use as rollers.

Plan "B" would be the rope, wadded up socks, and tarp to make a water parachute.

Plan "C" would be to try the VHF and see if anybody is around to help tow me.

Plan "D" would be to catch a ride out and then come back with more people gear, etc....

Plan "E" (after running out of food etc....... and not seeing any passers by) would be to use the 406 mHz EPIRB and end up being in an arcticle in the ADN in a state of total embarassment but at least not starved to death......

Ok...this is probably a really dumb question, but I don't know the answer.

Where do you tie to on the boat when pulling it off of a sandbar? Do you tie up to the eye on the bow or stern, or do you tye off to the cleats to pull the boat off the sand bar? Will the eye on the bow be strong enough and not break when winching it accross dry (wet) sand?

mntmaster - I have got to ask...how in the heck did you get your boat that far in the bar...I am guessing the tide went out..?

No tidal action there but the river did drop overnight, we had about 1 inch of water around us when I cut the corner, still made for a pretty fast stop. Was running full throttle and empty. Followed Tito's plan "D" as we didnt have enough rope or anything to tie off to. 2 days digging and lots of suds for the crew. CN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default High N Dry

I Carry a 600ft of rope 2 coma longs, 1 handyman jack and a 2x6 3ft long so I can jack the boat up off of the swim step, the 2x6 gets a solid base in the sand or gravel bottom. Then you can push the rear over or place logs underneath for rollers. I have used it on the bow of a Duckworth to lift the front but that was a really shaky operation.
    Be careful when using the rollers check to see your jet guard covers the whole jet"the Duckworth rolled off the last log and snapped off the nozzle of the jet!!!!! That ended a 6 hr push on the Tanana by Old Minto.

Did that happen around October of last year? We helped a guy that was stuck on that very sand bar. Older Wooldridge inboard, said he had a cabin on the Yetna I believe it was.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptNemo View Post
    mntmaster - I have got to ask...how in the heck did you get your boat that far in the bar...I am guessing the tide went out..?

No tidal action there but the river did drop overnight, we had about 1 inch of water around us when I cut the corner, still made for a pretty fast stop. Was running full throttle and empty. Followed Tito's plan "D" as we didnt have enough rope or anything to tie off to. 2 days digging and lots of suds for the crew. CN

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Did that happen around October of last year? We helped a guy that was stuck on that very sand bar. Older Wooldridge inboard, said he had a cabin on the Yetna I believe it was.
    It was May 2007, Thunderjet. CN

UGH for some reason my upstairs computer didn't show the first pic. That would have given it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Ok...this is probably a really dumb question, but I don't know the answer.
    I have had the opportunity to tow and be towed off several different places (maybe I'm the dumb one) and in my opinion its always been best to hook to the bow as low as you can. Do follow SportDrifters advice and be aware of your jet and whats around it. CN

Buy an old military cargo parachute ,I have one in each of my boats. Throw it in the current drags you right off
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    What type of winch do most jetboaters use?
    I have a Warn mounted in the Bow. Some guys will say "what if you need to go backward?" My boat has a lip on the back that will dig in if you pull it backward so I have to spin it around and go forward. I use duckbill anchors if there is nothing around to attach the AmSteel Blue rope too.

Nice set up Crumm! I thought about the costco cheapy winch for emergencies.
    One question: The river I run doesn't have trees along it to tie to and I would have to attach to an anchor or something down low. How well does a winch work in this situation as the pressure is actually downward on the bow?

Default winching out

check out these guys!

http://www.pullpal.com/quotes.html
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Deak ,
    Check out this site also alot of things on there also

http://www.boatingsportsman.com/fuse...cfm?forumid=11
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Nice set up Crumm!
    How well does a winch work in this situation as the pressure is actually downward on the bow?
    I drive the duckbill anchors in up on the bank so the pull is up rather than down. Also much easier to drive them and hook-up on the bank rather than underwater. Have never seen a river where the bank is not higher than the water. If the bank is over 300' away then the downward pull would not be much if you pulled to the river level. 3' down in 300' is not much of a angle. The fairlead has to be higher than water level or it would leak.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast