Thread: 300wsm & 308 - dies and powders ??

Default 300wsm & 308 - dies and powders ??

Hello all , great site , been pokin around here for awhile .

Im getting back into reloading and need dies for my 308 and 300wsm .
    Ive heard alot of good things about redding ? any advise on dies from them ?
    Also id like to use a one powder for both rounds (i know) if possible.
    Id most likly be loading 150-165 tsx and balistic tips in both as well .
    All id like to do is best my factory ammo in price and quility and I dont mind spending my time doing it . Ive been out of the game for awhile so go easy on me please I have the 2nd ed "mordern reloading" book from LEE , Are there any other must have books for me ? Do the barnes books only list loads for barnes bullets ?

Thanks for your time guys .

A nice combo of calibers you have there.

I have a few sets of Redding dies, actually between my two locations, here and home, I probably have about 100, and about 30 sets of RCBS.

I buy them at dealer prices as I was a commercial custom loader for about thirty years, still do a little bit of it. Anyway Redding dies are the way to go. Each of those calibers will cost you about $30 per set, delivered.

Powder is another story, I don't think there is a best powder for both. RL-19 would be my first choice for the WSM and RL-15 for the 308, using the 150-165 grain bullet weight for both. They are just too far apart in case volume to use the same powder efficiently. You could find one that will "work" but it would be a sever handicap for them both. Powder is only $20-$25 per pound so it isn't a big expense.

As for loading manuals, you cannot have too many. I like the new Speer #14, and after having a chance to look over the Nosler #6, I would highly recommend that one as well. Usually bullet makers print their manual with loading data for their bullets. So if you want to load Barnes bullets you should definately get a Barnes loading manual. There is enough in print for those two calibers as to make loading them easy, it would be a mistake to limit your self to only one type of bullet as both these calibers are very good target calibers as well as hunting. And, it is this target shooting that makes us a good game shot. You really should buy more than one manual just for the depth of knowledge they will provide.

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum, good to have you with us.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy , I knew it was a long shot to find a powder to work well in both .
    Ill get the redding dies , In general , Is it better to neck size only if its going to be shot in the same gun ? Fireforming it to your chamber ?

Ill have to choose some other cheaper bullets , Barnes are too expensive to shoot alot for me , I really like Nosler BT's .
    Any other sugestions ? Good on the wallet/paper/game ?
    Ill get some more manuals as well ,

My 308 is a browning A-bolt - Leupold 3-9x40 and it will put 3 shots into 3/8ths in @100 with Factory Fedral 150 tsx's if I do my part .

And the 300wsm is a brand new Kimber Montana I havnt shot it yet (and yes ive read the threads on kimber's , Ive got my fingers crossed that this baby will shoot) - Topped it with a Leuplod Vx-3 4.5-14x40 LR and Talley LW's --7.3 lbs ...
    So we'll see , I really appreciate the help Murphy and to any other that chime in .

Ill be buying my dies from Midway - I get a dealer dicount - Redding Dies - 2 die set ? 3 die set ? Suggestions ?

Thumbs up Hornady Dies

Really like Hornady Dies with the Floating bullet seater.

300 WSM- alot of good powders to chose from RL 19, IMR 4831, Mag Pro.

308 Win- Reloader 15, Varget and my old favorite IMR 4895.

WLRM Win. primers for Mag.

Fed 210 Match for the 308 Win

Bullets the 180 Barnes TSX will work good for both for AK game. For lighter game....the Sierra 165 BTHP.
    The 165 TSX would be good in the 300 WSM while the 168 TSX would be good in the 308 Win.......different ogive on the bullet!

Really like the Sierra Reloading Manual.

Thanks bush man ,I appreciate it .
    Anybody else have any experience to share ?
    pet loads ? Advice on equipment ?

I've had great luck with 165gr TSX's and Hodgdon H4350 powder with Federal 215 match primers for my 300 wsm. I'm getting around 3065fps and can completely cover a three shot group with a nickle at 100yds.

For plinking I picked up some 168gr Sierra Matchpoints that I also loaded with H4350. I've also used RL19 with 165gr Hornady Interbonds and 165gr Swift Sirrocco II's.

The Sirrocco's were very finicky in my rifle (Tikka T3) which was weird because it tends to be very tolerant of different bullets. As I worked up in charge weight (using RL19) the groupings didn't follow any particular pattern. They would just start to tighten up, then the next charge would be all over the place...just no consistency. Haven't tried any other powders with them yet, but plan to try them with H4350. I know I sound like a broken record, but I've had a ton of success with H4350 in my 300wsm, 3 differnet .338win mags, and a couple 30'06's.

I got decent results with RL19 and the 165 Hornady Interbonds. I had originally tried MagPro powder and while the groupings weren't terribly bad, I just couldn't get any velocity out of it. It's been a while, but I think even the mid range charge weights were compressed charges. By the time I got to the max charge weight I had no signs of pressure problems when shooting, but there wasn't any way to get any more powder into the case to try and push the load any hotter. Perhaps it would work better with a different bullet.

Thumbs up H4350

H4350 is excellent powder really like it with my 30-06 with 165 AB @ 57.5.

Thumbs up 180 Tsx Bt

I just looked over load data with Mag Pro

300 WSM

Mag Pro @ 75.4
    180 TSX
    Fed 215 GM Primer
    FC Cases
    COL is 2.825"
    Vel 2950 FPS

Very good groups in Win 70 around 1/2" @ 100 yards.

Murphy,

Do you think Redding dies are better than Forester? I ask because I will soon purchase dies for my .300 WSM as well.

Brent

Thumbs up Hornady Dies

I prefer the Hornady Bullet Seater dies due to floating bullet sleve....really like that. As for the sizer die I use Redding......